Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old    K.B.C.            07-17-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
http://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/823/289825/

Operation Delta Blitz II: multi-agency effort to promote safe, lawful boating

ALAMEDA, Calif. – The U.S. Coast Guard is teaming up with state and local law enforcement agencies in the Bay Area Delta Region for Operation Delta Blitz II, this weekend.

Delta Blitz II is the second of three inter-agency patrolling efforts aimed at decreasing the number of recreational boating accidents and fatalities in the Delta.

The Coast Guard in conjunction with the Contra Costa, Sacramento, Yolo, Solano, and San Joaquin Sheriff Departments; as well as, the California Department of Fish & Game, and the Suisun City Police Department will patrol the San Joaquin River to raise public awareness about boating laws and promote boating safety. Operation Delta Blitz II patrols will cover approximately seven nautical miles of the San Joaquin River from Acker Island to the Port of Stockton.

The Delta Region is known as a haven for thousands of California boaters, and is considered one of the state’s hot spots for water recreation, according to the California Department of Boating and Waterways. Coast Guard boating statistics show that despite the decrease in the overall number of boating-related deaths, boating accidents remain on the rise. The most common causes of these boating accidents include intoxication, reckless operation and excessive speed.

In efforts to minimize the loss of life, personal injury, property damage and environmental impact associated with the use of recreational boats and to maximize the safe use and enjoyment of the Delta by the public, boaters throughout the Delta can expect an increased law enforcement presence and on-the-water enforcement of all applicable laws and regulations.

The Coast Guard highly recommends boaters get a free vessel-safety inspection from the Coast Guard Auxiliary. The Coast Guard Auxiliary will be providing complimentary vessel examinations to the boating public on Saturday and Sunday at the Buckley Cove Marina. More information on these inspections can be found at http://www.vesselsafetycheck.org/.

Prior to taking to the water, boaters are encouraged to go to http://uscgboating.org/ for more complete information on safe boating.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-17-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
pretty sad that adults need to be reminded to boat safely and not drink and drive.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-17-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
that it is joe...and with this weekend shaping up to be the hottest and calmest of the summer so far i can only imagine they boys will be mighty busy...
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-17-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
I've never understood why drinking while operating a boat is even acceptable at all. It seems no different to me than drinking while driving a car. I guess I just don't get it.
Old     (lagobandido)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-17-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
If they banned booze I'd sell my boat.....
Old    Ben Kerran            07-17-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
Wow
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
"If they banned booze I'd sell my boat....."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
not sure if you're being facetious? but if not that is super sad, and i'm glad you live in Cali.

(Message edited by ironj32 on July 17, 2009)
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-17-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
"If they banned booze I'd sell my boat....."

One of my top picks for stupid posts of the year so far.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-17-2009, 10:28 PM Reply   
Nothing wrong with a coldie while on the delta. Relax Alice's!
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-17-2009, 10:29 PM Reply   
could we ban booze for a year to get one more d bag off the water then bring it back?
Old     (eastcoastboardriders)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-18-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
Come on, banning booze? that will never happen. Lets be realistic here. As for selling your boat if they ban booze, now thats just stupid. Sounds like your more of an alcoholic than a rider... On another note, I think there definitely should be some type of way to keep these drunks off the water. Mayb installing a boat breathalyzer? Just an idea but it would work like this... Before starting the boat, one would just have to breath into a breathalyzer and if they are under the legal limit, the boat will start. Its sad that people can be so reckless with their lives and the lives of others... I drink sometimes when Im driving my boat but I dont get drunk. I like to have one after i board all day but driving a boat drunk is just as dangerous as driving a car drunk. Be responsible!!!
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-18-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
Boat breathalyzer would never work because chances are there is always someone sober on board who could breath into it (Although usually the sober one isn't driving anyways). And all you would have to do is breath into it upon start up before you start drinking then drink the rest of the day without turning the boat off.
Also not that I support drinking and boating, I do think that statistically it is far safer than driving a car drunk. This also depends on the lake you frequent. But statistically i believe you are much safer driving a boat drunk than driving a car. (Not that you should do either one.)
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-18-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
Driving on the road or the water while drunk is stupid and should be frowned upon more. One is not safer than the other IMO. Im all for having a good time but there are also families with kids on the water and everyone needs to be considerate of that. Heat, dehydration, sun exposure and high blood alcohol level aren't a safe combination.
Old    mendo247            07-21-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
Ok I have a question... Is it legal for me to be sipping a beer while driving the boat?
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-21-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
yes it's legal to drink a beer while driving the boat
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       07-21-2009, 10:20 AM Reply   
coop, yes it is as long as you are not .08 or higher. we got stoped a few years ago for my wife laying out on the deck while we were in the 5 moving.they did the whole bui test the driver and he had a beer in his hand at the time we got stoped, he was below the .08 and off we went they never said anything bout the beer in hand and driving,just said dont be drunk .and that was on the delta
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-21-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
anyone know how many got nabbed last weekend because of the Delta Blitrz II?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-21-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
I saw only one sheriff boat all day sat in the disco area so it couldn't have been that many
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-21-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
we were dragging 40' boxes and aluminum boats with lumbar around with a jet ski all weekend so we stuck out like a sore thumb and never once ever saw a sheriffs boat or got hassled.
Old    mendo247            07-21-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
I always thought it was ok for the captain to have a drink as long as he was under the limit. Then I read this statement (in todays paper) from the local Sheriff incharge of patroling Lake Mendocino..

"Alcohol can be consumed on a boat, but the driver of a boat cannot possess alcohol in the driving area,"
Old     (scheersound)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-21-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
They had at least 6-8 sheriffs & coast Gaurd boats out at Ski beach & windmill cove. I was pulled over rigth before i reached the cove. They just checked to make sure I had a horn, fire exstinguisher, life jackets. insurance & registration. They did not ask for my license wich i thought was funny.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-21-2009, 3:23 PM Reply   
because you dont need a license to drive a boat.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
Driver cannot have an open container in posession.

Too hard to regulate. That would mean yaughts and big cruisers could have no alcohol either. Where do you draw the line? Okay if the vessel has a cabin?