Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-15-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
Could anyone recommend some good surf music?

...beyond the beach boys.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-15-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
Jack Johnson... Does it get any better than that?

Donovan Frankenreiter
Animal Liberation Orchestra

You can always go with some Dick Dale

(Message edited by zo1 on August 15, 2006)
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-15-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
I second Jack Johnson.

How about Spearhead, Nick Drake, Long Beach Dub Allstars and Sublime.
Old    jesse_martinez            08-15-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
sublime, rise against, authority zero
Old    surfdad            08-15-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
No, you need taste when wakesurfing:

Pachelbel: Canon, or Vivaldi: Second movement Guitar, 2 violins...Charpenter: Te Deum In D.

LOL! That's right, I'm gangster! :-)
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-15-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   
38 Special, Boston Led Zeplin, Van Halen...pretty much feel good music............Im soooo getting sick of Rap
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-15-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
Do you mean surf music like Jan & Dean or do you mean music that we listen to when we are going surfing? Goldfinger, Face to Face, Sublime, MDC, Fear, Black Flag, Social Distortion, Minor Threat, Good Riddance? Or that kind.
Board More/Work Less
J$
Old     (surfkid)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-15-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
Slightly Stoopid and Sublime
Old     (wakesurfer54)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-15-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
pepper or mac dre
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-15-2006, 7:19 PM Reply   
"Im soooo getting sick of Rap"

The only good thing about the great popularity of RAP now is the fact that fads usually die out after they become overly popular.

...hoping this gangster RAP fascination goes away like neon in the 80s.

...hoping for the revival of rock bands and singers that can actually sing.
Old     (wakesurfer54)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-15-2006, 7:50 PM Reply   
i only like mac dre and thats about it. but pepper sounds like sublime
Old     (surfkid)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-15-2006, 10:03 PM Reply   
Its expensive but what i think would be cool is to have an ipod and ipod dock so you can have all your tunes and have a little bit of everything. But Led Zeppelin is good. So is MSI. And NoFx. And SOAD. And Tim Mcgraw. And The Ramones. And Nekromantix. And The Misfits. And Guttermouth. And The Clash. And the Vandals. And and and and and and and and......
Old    newwakesurfer            08-15-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
Just spent the whole weekend surfing to James Brown Greatest Hits - nothing better than wake surfing to "Get Up" and "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" - I'm serious, the whole boat crowd was converts by the first day.Upload
Old     (lambertn)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-15-2006, 10:29 PM Reply   
Listen to whatever classics you can sing your little heart out to. I particularly like the Traveling Wilburys and Tom Petty when surfing. Go with whatever does it for you and suits your particular mood, the beauty of music.
Old     (cp3)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-16-2006, 5:40 AM Reply   
GD, Rap is like the new rock. back in your day they said rock would never last. just like you said about rap. but look its never going away as the same was with rock which is now classic rock.

just though it was kind funny what you said. and no Im no rapper. i listen to everything cept country.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-16-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
Could you be more close-minded? If you don't like it, don't listen to it. It's not that hard to do.

I'm sure there are just as many people who dislike your style of music (and for the record I don't listen to much rap)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-16-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
Misfits? Vandals? Ramones?-for some reason that's not what I expected. I have all 3 of those on a CD in my sister's boat as we speak.

I like ALL music but old school punk is my fave (it's what I grew up to)
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-16-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Dynamite Hack, Sublime, Skunkweed (a local band), and Rehab are some of my favs.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-16-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
exependibles and slightly stupid.

both santa cruz based,

expendables appears in ds 1 and 2
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-16-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
When I think of Surf Music its...

The Balboas
The Lively Ones
The Chantays
The Mermen
The Bomboras
The Phantom Surfers
The Hollies
and of course Dick Dale

You know surf music!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-16-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
I thought "surf music" is whatever type of music you listen to when you want to get "stoked" on riding. Not music confined to a certain era or style of music.

Surfing has evolved quite a bit in 30 years and so has the music associated with it. (influenced heavily by what's in current surf videos)
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-16-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
Very true Sean. Surfing and the music in the vids was evolved a ton.

Personally I think all of the artist I listed all kind of sound the same too. Still that is what I would call true Surf Music.

Now it all seems to be some variation of Pop Punk, Ska Punk, Reggae and the more mellow folky stuff like Jack Jonson. Dont get me wrong or bust my balls if I missed some. Remember this is an opinion.

For me old school punk is still the shiat to get me fired up. Like you its The Vandals, Misfits, Suicidal, TSOL, The Faction, JFA, DK, The Dwarves and the like...and of course you also gotta have a little SLAYER.
Old    meyerb            08-16-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
These are great for surfing-
Felix da Housecat
The FAint
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-16-2006, 11:54 PM Reply   
Yes, I am just asking for music that fits well with the wake-surf phase of the day -- it doesn't have to be true "surf" music.

Also, regarding RAP music, I take my statements back -- there is a lot that I like -- I am just turned off the the stuff that lacks all civility.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-16-2006, 11:59 PM Reply   
Felix da Housecat -- I just checked them out on itunes -- pretty cool -- it reminds me of the 80s punk that I loved.
Old    meyerb            08-17-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
Our favorite song by Felix da Housecat is READY TO WEAR- this song is sweet. Also my friends and I like a lot of Reggae, but not the traditional Bob Marley stuff. These artists will definately pump you up and make you feel the surfy steeze.
Damian Marley aka Junior Gong
Turbulance
Gentleman
Sizzla
Old     (06aw)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-28-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
I'm looking for some old school surf tunes. The
Black Eyed Peas song "Pump It" starts off with a old school tune and I don't know what it is, does anybody know?
Old    surfdad            08-28-2006, 7:55 PM Reply   
Dick Dale and the Del-Tones - the king of surf guitar and the father of heavy metal. :-) I've heard that his "Miserlou" was the inspiration for that part of the cut. Get your hands on "Surfers Choice" for serious old school surf tunes.

Not that I'm old enough to know anything about Dick Dale and the Del-Tones :-)
Old     (06aw)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-01-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
Yeah, that's the one!
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-05-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
house, techno, dance
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-05-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
it depends:

it could be a:

the shins/death cab for cutie/pinback day,

a slayer/as i lay dying/remembering never day,

a ti/fat joe/tupac/snoop day,

or a new found glory/blink 182/fallout boy/bouncing souls kinda day.