Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (capmattic)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
I’m looking to get away for a three-day weekend in the middle of August, and was wondering if anyone had ideas on good spots to ride/camp within 6 hours of Denver/Boulder. Less driving means more riding, so the closer the better. I’ve been up to Horsetooth, but other than that the only place I’ve ridden outside of town is Havasu. I’ve heard McConaughy is good, anybody been there recently? It would be great to go somewhere that doesn’t get choppy by mid-day with traffic and wind. A lake with good coves would be ideal. It’s a bit farther, but anybody been to Flaming Gorge up in Wyoming? How about other spots in Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska, or New Mexico? Any help would be great.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-25-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
Lake Seminoe is the best place ever to camp and board at from the Denver area. It is a 4 1/2 hr. drive if you take 287 from Fort Collins to Laramie and head west on I-80. You can camp directly on the beach which is fine white sand and get glassy water all day because this lake is in the middle of nowhere. The only gotcha is you need to bring gas cans because the marina up there has gas but it is not on the water. Do a google search or go to the Wyoming state park page and you will find this lake. Another gotcha is that there is no shade so bring a pop up tent for some relief from the sun. Much better spot then all other lakes in the area and there is a huge canyon there that protects you from the wind all day long.
Old     (capmattic)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
That sounds great. I'm definitely going to look into it. Thanks.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-25-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
I lived in Denver for 11 years and Seminoe is by far the best lake around if you are willing to do the drive. Bring everything you need though because there is nothing out there. If you ride dirt bikes bring them as well because the sand dunes up there are unreal. I will try to post some pics for you tonight so you can get an idea of the what the lake is really like.
Old     (capmattic)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
I'd love to see some pics. Thanks for the help. Denver's a great place, but these little lakes get cramped on the weekends, and I'm overdue for a little road trip.
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       06-25-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
There is also Glendo up in Wyoming and It is a pretty sweet lake. I've gone to Powell for a weekend too, just out of Bullfrog, leave friday night and drive back sunday night. Might want to try blue mesa, the water will be cold, but really pretty country. I had some others but I completely blanked out. Maybe even Pueblo Res, never been but supposed to be a nice place.
Old     (capmattic)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
Powell for the weekend. Impressive! I don't think I'd be able to keep my eyes open come Monday morning. I've heard of Glendo and Blue Mesa. Can you find glass in the middle of the day at either of those, or does it get pretty choppy?
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       06-25-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
Last time i was at Glendo it was 4th of july and packed, but if you head up to where the river leads in, i think that i remember it being really nice all day. It has kind of a canyon that I believe you can ride though.
Old     (capmattic)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
I'll add it to the list to check out. Thanks. How's Wyoming in August? Warm like Colorado, or does it start cooling down?
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-26-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
McConaughy is a nice lake, but it can get pretty windy. We windsurfed there a lot more than we rode.

August is hot, think about going up into the mountains. Twin Lakes or Turquoise lake near Leadville or Ruedi just out side of Aspen.
Old     (burke)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-26-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
I spent last weekend up at Glendo. Not too bad, much bigger than my usual spot, Horsetooth. We rolled in late Friday night and had trouble finding a good lake-side camping spot. So get their early.

There are a few coves you can run lines in almost all day on smooth water. And the fee's are relatively cheep compared to some other places. Much less crowded than what I'm used to. Overall a pretty nice lake. And the weather was warm, but a bit windy.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-26-2007, 8:37 PM Reply   
Sorry for taking so long to post these pics but I had to head to Tucson for work. Since I no longer live in Denver I will share these photos but Seminoe is a special lake and we all swore to never tell a soul so as not to ruin this secret spot. Glendo, McCon, Pueblo, etc. all suck compared to this lake so go check it out for yourself.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-26-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
More

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
I was up in Glendo last weekend and got hit pretty bad by a storm, filled the boat up to the seat cushions with water while trying to find a place to beach it. It's a nice lake but it can get VERY rough very quickly.

I've heard good things about Green Mountain Reservoir too, guess it's off of I-70 at the Silverthorne exit then go North a ways. There's also Sterling Res up in the NE corner off of I-76 which is pretty big.

I don't think you're going to find glass at any big lakes in the middle of the afternoon, if you do let me know!
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-27-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
Chris, those are great pics. May have to plan a weekend trip up there.

Dave, a little further drive than Glendo or Seminoe, but check out Conchas Lake and Ute Lake in New Mexico. Conchas is a big lake and in a canyon. Might be worth the 5 hour drive.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
Green Mtn lake is a pretty cool mtn. lake but it is cold as hell and crowded on the weekends from all the Summit County folks. My parents live in Breckenridge so I hit that lake up a few times. Glendo is not protected at all from the wind so it can get crappy real fast if the wind is up which it always seems to be. Seminoe is actually the first lake in the North Platte river basin which actually feeds Glendo and McCon as the river moves East but it is not crowded at all. The only boat I saw that even had a wakeboarder on the boat was a LUND fishing boat with a tower. If you want to hit up Sterling then make sure to call up there because they drain that lake for farming water so it can be unrideable by August. They also have a problem with alge growth up there as well. If you want the best water in Colorado then become friends with riders in the Loveland area because there are a ton of private lakes up there and that is where I had all of my best days in Colorado riding. Just check my profile pic and you will see what I am talking about.
Old     (capmattic)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-27-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
Thanks for posting the pictures Chris, and for the info on your favorite spot. Thanks to everyone else too for the suggestions especially the wind warnings. Keep 'em coming. As far as fishing boats pulling riders, I've got some friends in Sweden who ride behind a 17' john boat named "Buster" with a 45hp outboard. One of them can pull threes and simple inverts with only one person in the boat for weight, putting out a foot high wake at best. Pretty amazing. Kind of keeps it all in perspective, eh? I’m getting stoked on this trip! Thanks for all the help.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
Dave - do you ride at Boulder Res? I was actually out there last weekend on a buddy's Malibu VLX and had a great time on Saturday. I had a pass there for three years and loved every second of it especially during the week riding after work.
Old     (capmattic)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-27-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
Chris - We ride about 3x a week at the Res and store our boat out there. Usually dawn patrol on the weekends, and maybe a few evenings during the week. I saw a sweet red/black VLX Sunday, and there's another one that parks across from our boat. We've got a white'black 93 MC Prostar 205 LT1 with a tower. We run a with ~1000 lbs in sacs and a few friends and it gets the job done nicely. No VLX though. Those boats are amazing.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
Chris, what lake is that in your profile pic? I work in Loveland and am on the lookout for low use private lakes that don't cost a ton (LOL - fat chance of that!).
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
His VLX is the black/red one and he stores it at his house in Boulder. I was out visiting my family that still lives up there and my brother is pretty good friends with the owner. They are actually in Powell right now those lucky b@stards. I like the Prostar 205 hull for sure and it is too bad I don't live out there anymore or we could meet up sometime. I still have a few friends up in the Loveland area who could probably hook you up with some private water if you want to PM me or something.
Old     (capmattic)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-27-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
Chris, just PM'd you. Definitely not going to pass up that offer! VLX to Powell. I'm definitely a little jealous.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
Timmy - If I told you I would have to kill you. It is actually Lake Loveland and you have to know someone that lives on the lake who gives you the key as well as the boat flag in order for you to legally ride there. On the weekends there are usually 2-3 boats out there all day and the people who live on the lake just cruise out for an hour or so. Therefore you've got to know the right people to get on there but it is epic to say the least. I also have a friend who has access to Horseshoe reservoir which is right next to Boyd and it is even better water over there.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
Horseshoe looks soooooo nice! I would love to ride on that lake sometime, always makes me mad to see that nice glass on that side of the road and then pull into Boyd on the other and have some chop. One of my buddy's supposedly knows someone with a key and flag and we are supposed to try and hit that up one time this summer.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
Believe me when I say that it is sick. The water is not the cleanest compared to Lake Loveland but it is always glass in there. If you poke around enough in the Colorado wake scene you will find plenty of people that are lucky enough to have access to private lakes and they don't have a Tige RZ2 like you do. Bill, Donna and Corey must have hooked you up my brother. Nice Ride.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
Yup, Bill hooked me up for sure , of course I went in there no less than 20 times over 9 months without buying a boat, pretty sure they just wanted to get me out of their hair! LOL! The private lake that they belong to would be awesome to have as well.
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-28-2007, 9:30 PM Reply   
timmy its who you know, not what you know. might be taking a trip to seminoe if you are interested
Old     (xcharrier)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-03-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
Mike... let me know when you're thinking about going to Seminoe... I'd definately be interested.
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-03-2007, 10:31 PM Reply   
whats up russell! thinking the end of july give me a call and i will talk to you a little more
720 272 2168
mike
Old     (xcharrier)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-05-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
Mike... Sounds good. I'm going down to Pueblo this weekend if you'd be interested in that.
618-580-7950