Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (chad_chinners)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-26-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
I'm going to start looking around for my first inboard, and its gonna be used (early 90's). Anyone have any tips on things to look for when buying a used boat.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-26-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
i personally think that the quality of the interior is a reflection on how the owner would have taken care of the entire boat. that is an easy guess. Find out what maintenence was done and when. If it had any problems. See how many owners it's had. YOU can ask where they get it serviced and call the service department (this might or might not get you any information). Ask a lot of questions of the seller to get an idea about them and how they took care of their boat. And drive it if you can or at least hear the engine start up.
Old     (jleger98)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-27-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
Buy the boat for the engine. Everything else is gravy. If the engine runs nice, the rest can be fixed if you are a DIY kind of guy. You can make some decent $$ on the boat with some elbow grease.
Old    bryan_giles            01-27-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
I have a really nice 1990 Ski Nautique for sale. It is an excellent boat, probably the cleanest motor and tranny you will find anywhere. The whole boat looks and runs awesome. It has 612 hrs on it and the engine is all original. Bimini top and extended pylon goes with the boat}. Here are some pics. I am thinking about asking 10,500. Upload
Upload
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-28-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
If it has wood anywhere on the hull, check for dry rot. Specifically under floors (soft or mooshy), in the bilge (little pieces), motor mounting points on stringer, (is there exposure?) etc.. For used inboards, I am told that '90 and newer ski supreme ts and ms series boats are all fiberglass and throw a pretty good wake for down on the money. (under $10k) Good luck!
Old    murrayair            01-28-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
I totally agree with Joel. I've had boats with good engines and bad engines. An engine in bad shape will cost you far, far more in the long run than replacing the upholstery, carpet or anything else in the boat. Plus there is nothing more irritating than getting to the lake only to have your boat not start.
Old     (jleger98)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-28-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
I'll also agree with Ryan. If you arent a DIY kind of guy, check the floor for soft spots, the engine mounts etc. If you find dry rot, or moisture there, you might want to walk away. I redid the entire floor and stringers on my 84 supra, and it was an all-winter project. Aside form that, buy for the motor.
Old     (chad_chinners)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-30-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how the search goes.