Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-05-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
If you don't have a galvy trailer, what are some of the ways to keep your painted trailer as nice as possible? I am mainly looking for a list of to do's when dropping the boat in and taking it out.

The main lake in our county in closing next year for about 5 years or so. I will be tempted to use it in salt water soon. I want my painted trailer to last as long as possible.

Any ideas, salt away, etc.? Using lots of soap and lots of salt away? Help is always appreciated.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-05-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
I wash my trailer every time the boat goes out. I lay underneath and wash every beam and axle with soapy water. Then I spray water down inside the rails from the front of the trailer until I see it start to drip out of the drain holes. Is it over kill? Probably.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       11-05-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
It is my experience that no matter how well you clean a painted trailer it will rust away in a fairly short period if used in salt water. (short period being several years) THe problem is that the saltwater gets inside the trailer tubing and cracks and crevices that you can't reach to clean. I guess if you could submerge the trailer in fresh water to rinse it afterwards that might help but that probably isn't very likely to be an option! Good luck.

(Message edited by dukeno1 on November 05, 2006)
Old     (kneeboarder8806)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-05-2006, 9:14 PM Reply   
why is the lake going to be closing?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-05-2006, 9:59 PM Reply   
I have no idea if you can, but you might be able to get your current trailer galvanized?? If not consider it disposable, and replace it in a couple of years.
Old     (nautielove)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-06-2006, 3:19 AM Reply   
yep, the lake is closed... i heard they were going to open up otay..
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2006, 4:36 AM Reply   
buy a galvanized trailer now for say, 3000 and sell your painted trailer for say, 1500-2000. No point in ruining your painted trailer first and losing that opportunity to regain some of the $$.
Old     (closer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-06-2006, 4:54 AM Reply   
I use a trailer in the sea all the time and make sure I rinse it well with fresh water immediately after use and that includes dropping the boat in the water at the start. Cleaning the trailer twice each time, has stopped it rusting other than tiny areas around welded point etc
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-06-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
My painted trailer is starting to bubble up in places after 2 seasons in saltwater. Problem is thats just on the outside, internally its most likely got heavy corrosion.

I expect to get 5 years before its starting to get bad and I'll get rid of it. Its not too much of an issue for me as its a US spec trailer and isn't road legal over here in the UK so I would have to change it at some point anyhow. Its not really worth anything so I might as well use it till I have to change it.

If your trailer is made from I or C section channel instead of box it will last loads longer as every surface will have a layer of paint to protect it.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-06-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
I'm looking at buying a galvanized trailer for my boat, what alternatives do I have to a mastercraft trailer?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-06-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
Our Trailer lasted 5 years in brackish water. When we swapped the trailers, the old trailer was in horrible shape. We sold it for $200 to some guy who was gonna use it for a welding bench.
Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       11-07-2006, 7:02 PM Reply   
I used my old boat (not my Nautique) in salt water about 8 times in a 6 month period. I lived on a lake so when I would get home from the salt water I would dunk the boat and trailer into the lake to flush the motor.....well the trailer looks like a rust bucket now. Still functional but it went from no rust to lots of rust real quick.
Old    akman            11-07-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
Tube trailers will rust from the inside out in a matter of time, it is inevitable.....
Old     (nautielove)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
could you have your trailer sand blasted and redone in a non rust finish (ie rhino lined) ?
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       11-07-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
Rhino-lining the trailer is a cool idea. Never thought of that one. The only problems might be the cost and gettting all the nooks and crannies. If you didn't it could rust out from the inside but still look great outside. Can you imagine riding down the road, hitting a bump, and watching your trailer break apart in the rear view!?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-08-2006, 12:49 AM Reply   
What Tim Krutz said!
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-08-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
My brother was towing a center console boat and the axle broke. It rusted from the inside out. The out side of the trailer looked great. Needless to say it was no fun!