Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    dbogart            06-29-2004, 1:38 PM Reply   
guys,

anybody familiar with this boat? the one i am looking at has 130hp volvo engine. how would this be for wakeboarding?? im a newbie, help!!
Old    zboomer            06-29-2004, 3:12 PM Reply   
Well, I had a friend once with a 17-foot VIP with the 135HP 4-banger, and it was WOEFUL pulling me up on a slalom ski back then, and I was pretty light in those days, like 145 lbs.

Now granted wakeboards are a lot easier to pull up, but man that thing was way underpowered.
Old    wakeboycoy            06-29-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
Man I learned behind a Bayliner 19 ft. Nick named "da bay bay". with 6 people in the boat or a couple sacks (one or the other cause it would not do both) it would put up a wake similar to a direct drive boat with no ballast. she was a work horse... had her for two summers and got down all the basics up through intro inverts. If you can throw down behind that wake you can throw down behind any wake. The only thing is when you do step up to a larger wake it can be intimidating... and the landings are not quite the same. ;) I would definately consider getting a skylon or tower though. Good luck on the Glastron.
Old    wakeboycoy            06-29-2004, 3:39 PM Reply   
as for the power issue... if you don't weigh well over 200lbs you should be fine. Da Bay Bay was like 135 hp 4 cyl. Oh yeah, failed to mention, you can play with the trim to adjust the wake. We set ours up where it was up trimmed so much that it barely broke into a plane. How much are you looking to buy the Glastron for? Moved on to Wakesetter VLX since. Once again good luck.

(Message edited by wakeboycoy on June 29, 2004)
Old    zboomer            06-29-2004, 3:52 PM Reply   
Fwiw, my first boat was a Glastron, and the amount of fun I had behind that thing was insane.

Was in 8th grade, and my two brothers and I chipped in all our savings ($500) and bought an old mid 60's v-hull Glastron with 55hp 3-cylinder Johnson. We must have put 1000 MORE hours on that old thing, lol. This was way before wakeboarding came along, we were slaloming fools.

The ignition switch often didn't work, so we had to put jumper cables straight from the battery onto the starter, to crank her up! heheh. Got quite a few jolts doing that, with feet in the water. Lucky it was only 12 volts.

There's something to be said about being 14, and having your own boat. :-) Ahh the memories. I'll ways have a special place in my heart for Glastron!
Old    dbogart            06-29-2004, 9:04 PM Reply   
so fellas i am 175 lbs. can i put a few friends in this boat and still have enough power to wakeboard?
Old    chavezychavez            06-29-2004, 9:36 PM Reply   
Yes - as long as they aren't the starting O line at your local high school.
Old    dbogart            06-29-2004, 9:42 PM Reply   
any opinions on the wake on this boat model? i think its a v hull? really would like to hear from people that own this model.....thanks everybody though for the input......
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-29-2004, 11:15 PM Reply   
I ride behind my family's 1983 ssv-177, not sure how it would compare to whatever year u are talking about.

(Message edited by ttuclint on June 29, 2004)
Old    dbogart            06-30-2004, 6:30 AM Reply   
what size engine does your family's ssv have? how is the ride? enough power?
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-30-2004, 12:17 PM Reply   
its a mercruiser 470 engine, more then enough power but this is not using weight which is needed for a good wake.