Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (gharvin)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-01-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
guys, i am looking for some upgraded batteries for my 0621v from the stock that will help power my amps a little more. When I turn up the volume past a point the radio shuts off and then comes back on, i think this is a power problem? Also what about a high output alternator?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-01-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
It sounds more like a grounding issue or too much power draw on the amp turn on wire. I had this same problem when I hooked two amps to the turn on wire from the head unit. After I connected them to an aux. switch on the dash everything worked great. Give us more information because I doubt the batteries and alternator are the issue if you are getting 12-14v out of them.
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-01-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
I am using 2 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series to get 12 volts. It would take 4+ blue tops to match their output. At the end of the day, I throw a 10 amp charge on them and they are fully charged by the morning. The only advantage to the blue tops is that they can lay on their sides if height is an issue. The golf cart batteries can be bought new for around 80/battery. Here's a picture. The first battery seen is my starting battery and its a Interstate Megatron Marine. The two red batteries in the background are golf cart batteries and they provide the power for the stereo system. I am running 3600 watts RMS and do not need a high output alternator (mine is 70 amps stock)
Upload
Old     (gharvin)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-01-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
byrd,
I have a double distribution block..one lead from battery to a double fuse and double power lead tsunami power kit. If boat is at idle or sitting still after a certain volume the head unit cuts off, amps are grounded to the battery, amps are a kicker sx900.4 and kicker zx400.1
Old     (gharvin)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-01-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
what are blue tops david?
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-01-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
It sounds like the amps may be clipping which sounds like what you described. Does the HU volume pulse on/off?

What size power cable are you using up to and after the distribution block? You really need at least 4 guage to each of your amps.
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-01-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
Optima batteries come in red/yellow or blue tops depending on intended use. Blue tops are what alot people use to power their systems.

But those in the know use golf cart batteries which will power the system longer and stronger and cost ALOT less.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
David- How many amp hours are your golf cart batteries?
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-01-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
I am using 2 U.S. Battery model # US-2200 These are similiar to the Trojan 105 but use thicker lead plates. 2 are wired in series for 12 volts

Here are the capacity numbers for EACH battery, keep in mind that series wiring doubles these numbers:
474 minutes @ 25 amp hours
122 minutes @ 75 amp hours
The AMP Hours (20 hour rate)is 232
Weight: 59 Lbs each
Length: 10.25
Width: 7.13
Height: 11.25

Since I made the change to these batteries, I have NEVER run them down enough during a full day on the lake and I like the tunes louder than most people.

(Message edited by sea_ray_dave on December 01, 2006)
Old     (mspearr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-01-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
Gary,
I also have a 06 21V. If you have the factory kenwood amp this could be the problem. The} dealer has recalled this amp and it will be replaced with a new model.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-01-2006, 8:09 PM Reply   
Gary, does any of the other electrical stuff(lights, guages, cig outlets, etc) have issues when the radio cuts out? If not your head unit, dist block or amps have issues. What head unit are you running?
Old     (speedy600)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-02-2006, 12:31 AM Reply   
If it is truely a power problem and not a grounding problem, get a capacitor. Figure 1 pharad per 1000 watts. I run 4400 watts (5 amps) on two regular batteries with a stock alternator for hours on end without the boat running and never have a problem. The draw when the low' what burns up you batteries.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       12-02-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
Gary if you have 6 interior speakers running off the deck then my bet is the ohm load is too low and making you deck trip. Seen it a hundred times.
Solution buy a another amp to run your interior speakers.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-13-2006, 1:38 AM Reply   
Two batteries wired in series double voltage not capacity and two batteries wired in parrallel double capacity(amp-hours) not voltage.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-13-2006, 1:40 AM Reply   
Two batteries wired in series double voltage not capacity and two batteries wired in parrallel double capacity(amp-hours) not voltage.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-13-2006, 3:41 AM Reply   
What Bob says...
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-13-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
My bad, two batteries wired in series only doubles the voltage and not the capacity. However, I know that my battery set up will last longer than 4 12volt batteries wired parallel. And it costs way less.

Anyone else using a 2 6volt golf cart battery set up, wired in series to get 12volts?

Share your experience and thought
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-13-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
I have 2 amps with both turn on wires hooked on to the headunit, Its working fine but, what am i supposed to do for it to be "correctly" installed?