Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-27-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
Well i know this subject has been brought up before but since the season is starting i thought it was a good time to go over the do's, dont's and basic etiquette of boating.

I'm just going to start with a few items and i'll let the rest of you fill in the gaps.

1. Power turns: basically turning the boat to get back to a rider with the throttle pinned. I'm sure most boaters don't mean to screw up the lake for the rest of us. They just haven't been taught yet. Instead of hammering it back to your downed rider. Simply let off the throttle, slowly turn and idle back to them to minimize your wake.

Power turns are apropriate when trying to get back to a rider to protect them from oncomming boat traffic.

2.When you come upon a skier in the water, put your hand in the air and make eye contact with the skier or his boat driver to let them know that you see them.

3. Take wide cautious turns around blind corners. (Delta Riders)

4.Try to keep wakesurfing and tubing to wide open waterways as not to destroy the riding conditions in more protected areas.

I'll start with these for now.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-27-2006, 12:53 PM Reply   
5. Don't throw up huge rollers by docks and boat ramps! obey the no wake rules
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-27-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
6. Dont be a "Dirty Riderz" loud and out of control!!!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       04-27-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
7. Show a little Respect for the other people on the lake. Even if they are fisherman or waverunners.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-27-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
No Tubin, lol
Old     (ballsdeep)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-27-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
8. Dont be a "Dirty Riderz" loud and out of control!!!
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-27-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
If you going to just set in your boat and chill, dont do it in the MIDDLE of the cove we are boarding in!!!
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-27-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
9. bring gas money :-) and food :-)
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-27-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
10.Upload

(unless you need ballast)
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-27-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
11) Don't spend 20 minutes trying to back your trailor up into the water.

12) Also dont clog up the docks by parking your boat in the way of the docks to start cleaning/getting ready/shoving your fingers in you nose. Park it somewhere out of the way to take care of this type of business.

13) Dont throw rocks at bald eagles (maybe this only applies to lake berryessa)
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-27-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
Launch ramps/docks are for launching boats, trailering boats, dropping off the car retriever, picking up the car retriever. THAT'S IT. (Solo launchers obviously tie their boats up).

I hate it when I see some fool screwing around at the dock, loading gear from car to boat, blocking the entire half of the ramp while 10 other boaters are waiting to launch/trailer their boats.

Load your crap in the parking lot. Take your straps off in the parking lot. Load people into the boat in the parking lot. If you don't have a parking lot, handle business AWAY FROM THE RAMP.

Same with boat retrieval. Don't pull your boat 3 feet out of the water and start wiping it down and loading your crap back into the car. PULL THE BOAT INTO THE PARKING LOT.

New to the game and you want to practice backing the trailer? DON'T DO IT DURING THE BUSIEST TIME AT THE RAMP. Go to a shopping mall parking lot, practice backing the boat into a parking stall.

Launching the boat should take no more than 30 seconds total time on the ramp. Retrieving the boat should take no more than 2 minutes on the ramp.

Sorry for the rant. Just a pet peeve of mine...
Old     (rooster_cogburn)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-27-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
14) Do not annoy the captain with your problems.

15) Do not irritate the ladies in the boat

16) Do not urinate over the side of the boat, especially the windward side.

17) Do not drink other's beverages.

18) No Shoes
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-27-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
14. Recognize what kind of boat you rode in and how much weight was used to determine the cash amount for the pull. It is true, $5 used to work, but the fact is, gas prices have gone up, boats have bigger engines and there tends to be more weight used, all of which contribute.

Here are the boats I ride in and the amount I tend to use.

Nautiques unweighted - $5 a set
Nautiques weighted - $8 a set
Skier's Choice weighted - $10 a set
Malibu weighted with smaller engine - $12 a set
Malibu weighted with bigger engine - $15 a set

Also if the boat stays on a lake without a gas station, offer to bring 5 gallons of gas (ask what level they prefer) or if you don't have a gas tank, go early and pick up one of theirs and run to put 5 gallons in.

With high gas prices, we really need to take care of our boat owners and help them out so those of us without boats still get to ride.

15. If you are rowing a boat or an idling fisherman, try to stay in the no wake zones. I understand the fish run all over the lake and sometimes the best spot isn't in the no wake zone, but don't get upset then when we come through then. Think of us has entertainment who scare the fish straight to your hook...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-27-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
16. don't forget that we're all in this sport 'cause it's fun. don't have so many damn rules that your guests walk on eggshells. don't stress too much on the rules. if someone should break a rule, don't trip out on the person. simply educate him/her. if he/she continually breaks rules, don't invite him/her out again.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-27-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
16.5 Always cheer/flash the rider any time he or she does something kick a$$.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-27-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
17. Dont bring Bud Light and drink my Budweiser first!

Other then that lets have some fun in the sun!
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-27-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
Good point Joe,

That is why i brought this thread up. I see families all the time on the delta who are having a great time. but unfortunately they were never made aware of things like power turning and so on. I'm just trying to get the message out so that we can maximise the fun factor for everyone.

Here's to a fun and safe year of boarding/boating
Old    walt            04-27-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
No arguing or negative BS on the boat.
Old     (cp3)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-27-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
If you ride in someone's boat dont just pay for gas. Help them wipe it down at the end of the day, too. Most of us like to keep our boats looking nice.
Old     (tws_andrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-27-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
about to go to mead with some drivers who cannot figure out how to drive a proper pass. once I saw a great diagram for this with all the directions. anyone know where this is?
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-27-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
Dont get in after a bad set complaining about how bad you rode, bashing the wake, driver etc. Your on the water it should be a good time regardless of how bad you ride (and dont let it ruin your day either, unless you wanna get dropped at the dock). Dont constantly compare your riding style tricks etc. to someone else's. Everytime you ride it isnt a competition within the boat.

Note: it is good to push each other if it is understood, and expected. Some people would rather "freeride" than try and put down a conservative 10 trick set.

If your injury results in required medical assistance; its okay to be angry, but dont bash the boat, driver unless its their fault.

Ask the owner for permission before you "poach" their rail, kicker or whatever.

If someone is dead in the water (engine cover up), and your are not in an emergency situation yourself; STOP AND SEE IF EVERYTHING IS OKAY! It is okay to finish a set first if they are in no danger of wrecking the boat (I.E. smashing into the shore/rocks)

2 hour sets are allowed after a verbal agreement has been made. A typical set should be in direct proportion to the amount of "butter time available" (and boat gas left). Dont take a 2hr set at dusk when other people in the boat may have been waiting all day for the butter too. (delta pretty much negates the whole proportion rule )

If someone is on the brink of sticking a new trick understand they may take a longer set while "in the zone" provided they are pushing to land that one trick and a verbal agreement has been made. It will come around some day when you are in the water.

Obviously these are not intended to be "the law" They just bring into perspective some possible scenarios you may not of thought of or actions you may do without realizing it.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-27-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
Don't smash your board into my transom when trying to put it on.

Don't spill red wine on the upholstery.

No Britney Spears or Backstreet Boys are to be flowing through my speakers at ANY time.

No crying.

Clothes are recommended with some exceptions...

Old     (barefootbob)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-27-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
Dont forget wakeboarders party and like their sleep,so no hitting the water till say noon or after the footers are done
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-27-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
50.) The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-27-2006, 5:46 PM Reply   
Don't Be That Boat: http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2003/thatboat.asp
Don't Be That Guy: http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2002/thatguy.asp
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-28-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
51) I may take some Shhhtttt for this but...Please don't blare your tower speakers while running across the lake, waiting to dock/launch or any other time without a rider. No one else really wants to hear what you are listening to.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-28-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
52) If you know you are going to have to leave early, drive your own vehicle. Do not ride with the person towing the boat.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-28-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
Be considerate on someone else boat.

1. Leave the shoes on the dock.
2. Red wine at home.
3. Crackers in the car (don't want crumbs landing on the carpet.

4. And PLEASE dry yourself off on the swim platform after your ride before you get in the boat (don't want water getting the interior wet).

LOL!! Couldn't resist.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-28-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
52) If you have to be back by a certain time, make this clear before pushing-off. Don't be out on the water
and then suddenly proclaim "Oh! I have to be back by so-and-so."
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-28-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
notidad ~ #4 is actually a must rule......in the winter.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-28-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
Big Ed - Just trying to lighten it up a little. . Living in the NW I know what you mean.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-28-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
This is hilarious
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-28-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
renee v- i like your music rule (the same people are blasting their car stereo with the windows down).
Old    junglesmacks            04-28-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
53) Scantily clad and available female ballast if possible is a must
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-28-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
54. Don't pull your rider up right infront of mine when you could wait 15 seconds for me to ride by and we both could have good water.(specifically delta riders)
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-28-2006, 6:13 PM Reply   
55. As the boat driver, it is wise to circle your downed rider on your side so you can always see them optimally.

56. As the downed rider, pass the rope over your head once you grab it to avoid any possible 'neck + rope' injuries.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-28-2006, 6:26 PM Reply   
57. Anyone can pee off the boat, the captain is the only one permitted to pee ON the boat.
Old    junglesmacks            04-28-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
58. WASH OFF YOUR FEET before you climb back over the bow of your friends boat after beaching instead of making dirty paw prints all over the seats and fiberglass..
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-28-2006, 7:54 PM Reply   
If you're the driver, its not your time to socialize, you need to make it the best possible experience for the person behind the boat, not flirt with the chicks while your buddy is away.
Old    bocephus            04-28-2006, 10:07 PM Reply   
I will do what ever I want on my boat as long as it doesn't effect other people on the lake. If I want to take a dump in the playpen, I will.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-29-2006, 12:08 AM Reply   
Rob, how else am I supposed to inform the women how much boat driver skill is involved in the riders performance behind the boat?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-29-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
If you say you are going to be at the dock at a certain time, make every effort to be there. I may be counting on you as a 3rd.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-29-2006, 4:07 PM Reply   
"If someone is on the brink of sticking a new trick understand they may take a longer set while "in the zone" provided they are pushing to land that one trick and a verbal agreement has been made. It will come around some day when you are in the water."

I agree with you on this one Liquidmx
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-30-2006, 4:27 AM Reply   
Large breasted women must sit next to driver or in bow when hitting double ups
Old    catfishh            05-01-2006, 6:38 AM Reply   
When you go out on someones boat, the boat owner always get to ride first or least gets the offer-they may refuse and tell you to go first but understand that the boat owner gets first dibs, so don't start changing out and getting your board down buddy!!
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-01-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
RULE #1 On the Delta: DON'T rush to get your rider up in front of an oncoming boat with a rider so you can get the good water. Most of the time this messes it up for both riders and it creates a very, very, very unsafe condition. Just wait a little longer and everyone gets a good ride.
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-01-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
Husbands teach your wives how to launch the boat. It's not that hard to drive a boat on or off the trailer. It drives me crazy to see the man drive the boat to the dock - have his wife hold it while he backs the trailer in - come back and drive the boat on the trailer - hop back in the truck - wait for his wife - than finally get out of the way.

We are prefectly capable of backing a trailer or driving a boat. We're in and out in about 30sec.
Oh yeah, you can drive the boat on the trailer too. No need to crank the think all the way up.
Old     (spence)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-02-2006, 1:16 AM Reply   
Don't trash the waters. Bring a garbage bag. Respect is always nice too.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-02-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
Don't push your board across the upholstery which causes ripping or scratching of gel coat. If you are not riding then help with grabbing the board for the rider in the water and place it in rack. If little kids are riding help them by taking their board to the transom for them and help them put on their bindings and DON’T let them put board on boat. Pull in the rope.

BRING gas can with gas if boat is not being towed and therefore not being filled at a gas station. $10 is fine but I have to carry 5 gallon cans up and down a steep hill so please don’t make us have to do yours also. First timers and invited non riding guest are exempt.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-02-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
David touched on a general rule that I try to follow, which is:

All the boat driver should have to worry about is driving and watching/protecting the rider. The spotter should flag, remind the driver of a fallen rider(even though this is part of the driver's job), pull the rope into the boat when the rider falls and grab board from rider to bring into the boat. At times these simple functions can be pretty important in places like the delta where a strong current can push the boat into a levy pretty quickly.

Obviously there are more relaxed times where being on top of things as a spotter arent quite as important.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-02-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
Start Anal Rant******

Adendum A CC211TE to General rule #1
Use the walkthrough instead of walking over the engine cover. That's what it's there for. and while you're at it carry your board over the back with you (trust me it's easier than slidin/lifting off the engine cover).

Anal Rant over****
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-02-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
schooledrider - or when its choppy and driving to/from the good water
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-02-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
TAKE YOUR BUOY"S AND PUT THEM AWAY.... hahah i love when i see a boat go out with the buoys out and see them mid day with them still out BUOY NERDS

(Message edited by dr_inc on May 02, 2006)
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-02-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
OK-- I've summarized everyones comments. Now if I could get it printed and lamenated and put in boat.

1. No power turns: Power turns are appropriate only in emergencies.
2. Take wide cautious turns around blind corners. (Delta Riders)
3. Don't throw up huge rollers by docks and boat ramps! obey the no wake rules
4. Don’t be loud and out of control
5. Show a little Respect for the other people on the lake. Even if they are fisherman or wave runners.
6. If you going to just set in your boat and chill, dont do it in the MIDDLE of the cove we are boarding in.
7. Launch and dock boat as quickly as possible.
8. Always cheer/flash the rider any time he or she does something kick ass.
9. No shoes in boat.
10. Help clean up boat afterwards.
11. No food in boat without permission
12. Don’t blare speakers
13. Safety first. Be aware of boats, swimmers, riders and everything else in the lake
14. Wash off sandy/dirty feet before getting in the boat
15. Be responsible for your trash
16. Passengers help with boards and rope and all things nautical.
17. Bring gas.
18. Don’t scratch or tear boat by sliding board on boat.
19. HAVE FUN and don't be too anal about all this.

Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-02-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
Tanya - That is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. I just don't understand what the problem is. Are those men too controlling? Do they think their wives can't do it? Or are the wives big chickens and too afraid to try?

I spend the first summer driving the boat on/off the trailer and the second summer launching the boat. Now, I can do BOTH.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-02-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
this is kinda funny. i was jus readin over the list of donts and there are alot of uptight people on here. sorry if i offend anyone, we go out and have a great time and never worry bout anything. if somethin bad happens oh well, its fixable. there is only one rule on my boat, no small wakes. it always has to be as big as possible.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-02-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
Jason, I was kinda thinking the same thing. I would rather not go out with people that tweek on all the little stuff. I think David did a nice job of compiling the good rules and eliminating the lame ones.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-02-2006, 8:33 PM Reply   
#1 RULE, PAY GAS MONEY.

I wanna ride wherever jason callen rides.
Not a real big fan of rules either.
Its all about a good time. Sometimes its entertaining to see people brake the rules.
You have your regular people who do it all the time and know better, but you get newbies once in a while and then its either laugh or cry. Personally, I laugh.
The only thing that urks me is when people who know better but dont pay gas money.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-02-2006, 9:13 PM Reply   
o ya a great rule .....
always make sure that your boat is clean and perfect.. you dont want to go out on the water and with all the new 2006 boards bindings ropes and loud speakers with a dirty boat..
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/22/323185.html?1146628742

COUGH..::PLUG::.. COUGH
Old    swass            05-03-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
"It drives me crazy to see the man drive the boat to the dock - have his wife hold it while he backs the trailer in - come back and drive the boat on the trailer - hop back in the truck - wait for his wife - than finally get out of the way."

That's me...but it's not my fault!!!!!!!! My wife doesn't want to try it. I've offered to take her to an empty parking lot to practice, etc. but she won't do it. I'm open to suggestions.
Old    swass            05-03-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
I'll play. A few years ago, I created a brochure that was supposed to be a humorous look at the perils of owning a boat. Please accept this in the spirit in which it's offered (it's a joke - I don't enforce these rules...except for the no shoes thing).

A Wakeboarder's Guide to Ensuring a Return Invitation

Before You Get There

Make sure you have all the equipment you need, BUT DON’T BRING THE KITCHEN SINK! Space is limited; bring only what’s absolutely necessary. If you need to borrow something, ask before you arrive. Don’t expect it to magically appear when you show up. If you bring your own tube, you’ll be kicked to the curb.
• If you plan on eating, bring your own food! Choose items appropriate for the setting. Don’t bring your fondue, your wine and cheese, your picnic basket w/ china, etc. You will be frisked upon entering the boat; if so much as ONE CHEETO is found on your person, or in your belongings, you’ll be sent packing. Other food that’ll send you packing: Popcorn, flavored chips, chocolate, donuts, anything with grease, etc. Basically, if it creates crumbs, you better leave it at home. If you bring it, and it creates crumbs, you better eat it on the swim deck.
• If you want to drink something other than lake water, you better bring it with you. Make sure alcohol is allowed on board before bringing it along.
• Bring money!
• If you bring an uninvited guest, SHE BETTER BE A HOTTIE! Any other guest better not be a surprise to the captain.

When You Arrive

Get here on time! If you’re supposed to be here at 8:00, be here at 7:55! If you’re gonna be late, call the captain and let him know.
• If the crew is counting on you as a third, you better get here. Nothing short of a catastrophic accident will be accepted as a valid excuse. Proof will be required (e.g., an open wound, a fresh cast, a missing appendage, etc.).
• Take off your shoes before entering the boat!
• When you step into the boat, step on things designed to be stepped on (the pad on the gunnel is there for a reason)!
• Don’t just throw your crap in a heap on the floor. Ask the captain where to store your gear.
• Julie, your Cruise Director, is not on this voyage. Don’t expect to be waited on. If you need something, do it your damn self. If you don’t know how to do something, or what to do, ASK!
• BE MINDFUL OF WHERE YOU’RE SITTING! Uneven weight distribution affects the wake shape/height. If you’re asked to move, don’t bitch about your uneven tan - JUST MOVE!
• The captain chooses the music. If you ask to play your Dixie Hicks CD, either you or it is going overboard. You decide which.
• NO BITCHING ALLOWED! We all have a bad day of riding every now and then. It’s OK to cuss yourself out, but leave it in the water. Don’t be a downer for everyone else.

When You Leave

OK, are you paying attention? This is important: At the end of the day, don’t just grab your crap and go. Ask the captain what needs to be done, and do it. Nobody wants to hear that you’re gonna be late for your ear wax removal appointment. Stay and help with whatever is necessary.
• Offer the captain gas money! If you rode your tail off all day, don’t insult the captain by offering a handful of change. Wakeboard boats guzzle gas, and gas is not cheap; you should offer at least $5 per set (see “Bring money!”).
• Make sure you get everything you brought with you out of the boat. Items left for more than 24 hours become the sole property of the captain. Calls asking “have you seen my...” will not be accepted.

* Violating the rules outlined in this guide is not necessarily grounds for dismissal; however, if you violate them often, don’t ask yourself why you’re sitting at home watching the Golf Channel while your bros are out carvin’ up the butter.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-03-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   

quote:

don’t insult the captain by offering a handful of change. Wakeboard boats guzzle gas, and gas is not cheap; you should offer at least $5 per set (see “Bring money!”).

I couldn't agree more but $5 a set.....only behind my stand-up jet ski.

AT LEAST $10 A SET and that's a little cheap these days.
Old    swass            05-03-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
Oh...did I forget to mention the 30 second set limit?
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-03-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
Swass, she will never feel confident if you don't have faith in her and her abilities. Sometimes, we (wives) don't do so well being taught by our hubby's. I (along with several other wives) took a boat trailering class at the local college. It was so much better to be taught by a perfect stranger than a frustrated husband.

If she still refuses to learn to back the trailer, why don't you try having your wife drive the boat off the trailer and then come back to the dock to get you.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-03-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
First of all, for those who think that having or suggesting these "rules" makes us uptight... these things are all common courtesy and if you feel otherwise, then I probably won't want you in my boat and I will probably cuss at you as you drive by in your boat.

1. No power turns: Power turns are appropriate only in emergencies.
2. Take wide cautious turns around blind corners. (Delta Riders)
3. Don't throw up huge rollers by docks and boat ramps! obey the no wake rules
4. Don’t be loud and out of control
5. Show a little Respect for the other people on the lake. Even if they are fisherman or wave runners.
6. If you going to just set in your boat and chill, dont do it in the MIDDLE of the cove we are boarding in.
7. Launch and dock boat as quickly as possible.
8. Always cheer/flash the rider any time he or she does something kick ass.
9. No shoes in boat.
10. Help clean up boat afterwards.
11. No food in boat without permission
12. Don’t blare speakers
13. Safety first. Be aware of boats, swimmers, riders and everything else in the lake
14. Wash off sandy/dirty feet before getting in the boat
15. Be responsible for your trash
16. Passengers help with boards and rope and all things nautical.
17. Bring gas.
18. Don’t scratch or tear boat by sliding board on boat.
19. HAVE FUN and don't be too anal about all this.

Second, it IS possible to have common courtesy and still have FUN.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-03-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
When you bring your board into the boat- FINS UP please. Not cuts on the vinyl.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-03-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
Rules suck, but I understand how people can be anal. It's just crazy to me when poeple have all these little insane (to me at least) rules, but don't know the first thing about how to care for or maintain their 50+k wakeboat.

For instance, I ride mostly on a brackish river and I would say that 95% or more of the regulars there have never once flushed their boat after use. Blows my mind. I'm a bit of a smoker (down to about a pack a week) which is a big NO NO on everyone's boat, I understand. If I'm lucky I can stand on the swim step between sets for a smoke, yet most of the people around don't even so much as spray their trailer down after dunking it or hooking it up to a fake a lake when finished.

I bought my boat to be used. I smoke it it, I drink in it, I eat in it, I'll sleep in it and drool on the vinyl, but all that nonsense is easily cleaned up when done for the day. The only pet peeve I have is people stepping on vinyl with shoes. With minimal upkeep my interior looks better than almost every boat newer than mine I've ever been in and I probably use it the hardest.
Old    swass            05-03-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
Renee, are you insinuating that I've been less than supportive thus far?
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-03-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
Not at all, it's just that sometimes we can take frustration as lack of confidence. So just be sure you give a lot of positive enforcement and she may come around.

Do you have other women in your crew? Perhaps if she saw them doing it, she would feel inspired to try.

Good luck!
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-03-2006, 4:27 PM Reply   
O.K. My turn. It's not a matter of rules more just a matter of respect. Many people spend incredible amounts of money on their boats. As a professional boat slut I try to respect everyone and their "rules". I have a standard crew that I ride with. All the things mentioned thus far are common place among us. Everyone pitches in everyone has fun. If a board gets set down on its fins someone asks them kindly to turn it on its side to try to avoid tears. These are all "common sense" things that we all know in our hearts are the right thing to do. I would say it is more about respect for the people who treat their toys with respect, and are willing to give you a pull, than it is rules that if broken get you yelled at. We live by these standards on average 300 hrs a year, and We always have fun.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-03-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
I must agree with Jason, Sparky and others who have noticed that some may be a little too anal here. If you ride on my boat, bring a good attitude, good sense of humor, and a little common sense.

If you bring Cheeze Its, bring enough for everyone (Costco institutional size). I have a vacuum, it works really well (I was gonna take a picture of me grinding Cheetos into the carpet, then the carpet after the clean up this weekend to show how easy it was, but I was too lazy to get the camera out).
If you get a little water in the boat, not a big deal, it drains out, dries (if I didn't want it to get wet, I wouldn't have put it in the water).
I appreciate any gas money offered, and only like to spend about 10 minutes on the clean up after riding (if I want to really polish after, I can do it after work one evening, do it my way, it's actually quality time with my kids/boat).
No smoking.
No banana hangers (I keep a pair of "safety" boardshorts on board).
Shoes are allowed, just try to keep them off the upholstry if you can.
Try to be kind to the boat with boards (fins), and driving.
Mankind's greatest invention of the 20th century is silicone, feel free to reward riders with a good show at your discretion.
No al-Qaida (Osama will be kicked in the balls until dead).

That's it. Life is good.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on May 03, 2006)
Old    walt            05-03-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
I like the last part TB !
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-03-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
I have been reading the updates on this thread for the last week. Here two thoughts IMO:

I guess one thing for 3rds to keep in mind, pay attention to what type of person you are boating with. If you can't figure it right away, play it safe and be ultra anal until you know.

I guess one thing for boat owners to keep in mind, pay attention and notice if people are having fun on your boat. If people aren't having fun, you will have hard time finding reliable thirds. If you can't find thirds, try to find 'rules' or 'things' that you can relax on, so everyone will have a good time on the boat, that includes yourself. Life is filled with compromise.

Bottom line, all 3rds thank and appreciate the boat owners you go out with. Let them know that you had a rockin' time on their boat when you do.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-03-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
ahhh, I forgot about no al-Quaida. Thats a major no no.

Nice one TackleBerry
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-03-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
Quote: If people aren't having fun, you will have hard time finding reliable thirds.

Yeah, let's hear it for the thirds. Without us you guys wouldn't be riding. Here are our rules:

- If the boat's being towed behind your vehicle, it's your responsibility to buy the gas
- It's up to you to make sure that your passengers/riders are comfortable; you should provide as much beer & food as we want
- It's your boat, if you want it clean you know what to do. We'll only do it wrong anyway.

etc etc

Pete

PS
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-03-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
actually in response to the question about driving the boat onto the trailer. I think the risk far out weighs the the reward and thats why my wife pulls the boat onto the trailer with a rope. I don't feel comfortable and neither does she having a metal prop spinning around a metal trailer
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       05-03-2006, 10:32 PM Reply   
swass: that was awesome. I just modified it to suit an aussie audience and printed it out for my boat!