Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (joshljoshl)      Join Date: Jul 2000       06-20-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
I just received word from my Ortho that my ACL is torn in half, there's a tear in my meniscus, and a small bone contusion. I will likely be out of commission or at least severely limited for a year or so. This is how I got there:

Taking a moderate heelside cut to the wake I launched a little funny and got out of balance in the air. I landed nose-down and the board stopped. My body cartwheeled to the left while I was thinking "oh man this is going to hurt and I'll probably get ejected". The problem is, the right binding pulled completely out of the board as my body cartwheeled to the left, bending my knee sideways. Looking down, I noticed my leg was bent at an angle to the left. As I tried to flex my knee it popped back into place. Luckily, I take spare vicodin on camping trips for occasions like this!

Now, looking at a year of downtime and possibly a lifetime of annoying pain, I can't help but wonder what would have happened if the binding hadn't pulled out of the board. I probably would have been sore the next day, but I would be boarding the rest of this summer! Does anyone think I have any recourse for this event? Should I be compensated for a new board? If so, by the board company who's board broke or the binding company who's product wouldn't let go of my foot before breaking the board? Pain and suffering? Get legal advice or just chalk it up to bad luck and part of the game?

This all just sucks.
Old     (rpayer)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
You should read the warning label on the bottom of your board. I don't think your going to get a new board and for sure nothing for pain and suffering.

(Message edited by rpayer on June 20, 2007)
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-20-2007, 8:23 PM Reply   
i feel you man. I tor my ACL and broke my wrist skateboarding last september and i will be able to ride in the middle of august for the first time.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-21-2007, 5:25 AM Reply   
No offense Josh, but PLEASE don't go down the suing route. This type of thing would ruin wakeboarding as we know it. Boards would become 3 times more expensive to handle lawsuits if companies even decided to still make them. We all know the risks involved, I'm really sorry you have to go through this, but there are warnings on your board and bindings.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-21-2007, 5:53 AM Reply   
SORRY FOR YOUR BAD LUCK JOSH.......speedy recovery!

I for one am a believer in buying the top of the line bindings that won't let you out...I rode the temet hyperlite for 3 years never came out until they were geting loose after 3 years.....then bought the watson liquid force....and have not even come close to coming out of them!( although I am sure there is some kind of crash where they would come out...just havn't had it yet) Everyone on my crew has to get top of the line bindings(off ebay even if 2 years old but new)....we have one beginner board with varios on it and I cringe when people are riding it...especially because the are beginners and are more likely to take strange falls...and one foot may come out. I try to get them as soon as possible to get the best bindings with their own gear.
Old     (joshljoshl)      Join Date: Jul 2000       06-21-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
I agree with you guys, and I'm not the sue-happy type... I'm just frustrated that this equipment failure caused me permanent injury! These *ARE* "top of the line" bindings and board. I would expect that as well as they hold my foot, they should let go before the screws rip completely out of the board, though! I've crashed way harder on my snowboard and those bindings never ripped out. I'm sure time will heal and I'll be boarding again next summer (fingers crossed), but I'll probably be going back to the binding I was using for the past 3 years instead of these wannabe-flows.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-21-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
Definitely chalk it up as bad luck and part of the game.

Taking legal action because you broke your board and injured your knee participating in an extreme sport would be just plain ignorant. Also, as mentioned above the boards have warning labels.

Just curious... what board and binding were you using? I had the same type of fall and result with my board after coming up short on a backroll. In my case, the Ronix closed toe bindings secured my foot so well that the binding pulled out of the board rather than my foot releasing. If your board is fairly new you should have no problem getting it replaced via the warranty.

(Message edited by aarond0083 on June 21, 2007)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-21-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
Im sorry to hear that, Josh. My friend just experienced the same injury. He went for a raley at his first tournament and landed weird.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-21-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
Josh, sorry to hear that
having to sit on the sidelines sux
but perhaps now you can hone your driving skills
....not to mention being in charge of the tunes :-)

just for curiosity.....were you still riding the 1997 setup?
I wonder what the life of a board is and it still be safe
not a slam on you in any way.....just wondering if board companies ought to provide an "expiration date" or an "hour limit" on a board

I know it would be tough to do... given that you young guns are going bigger and doing more on your boards than I do on mine.....
......just a thought
Old     (joshljoshl)      Join Date: Jul 2000       06-21-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
Thanks for the condolences, guys. Yeah, I'm relinquished to driver-duty for now. I already drive 90% of the time I'm not behind the boat, but it still stings when it's my turn in the rotation and all I can do is forfeit.

Cliff, no this wasn't a 1997 setup. The board is 2 years old and the bindings I have only ridden a handful of times.

Yeah, Aaron, I'm thinking I should at least get a new board as a nice gesture. I've had good experience will all the board companies standing behind their product.

So, for those of you in the same situation - what have you found as a good replacement activity while you're healing up? The doc says they need to wait 3 months before doing surgery just to make sure the knee is healed up and alignment is right before they reconstruct. I had a scuba trip planned in September which should be right before the surgery time frame. Hopefully my knee can handle the kicking motion. I'm also thinking light hiking and biking would be good for it, but man I'm going to miss the board sports! I've heard a lot of people say they were back to light-duty activities only a month after surgery. I'm hoping I'll be able to capitalize on some powder days this winter, even if I have to take it easy... we'll see what the PT thinks about that.
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-21-2007, 8:08 AM Reply   
Josh,
My mom always says "you ride it a while, then it's gonna ride you". I blew my knee out on a double up about 6 years ago. Torn ACL, MCL, Meniscus, Fracture of the tibia etc... There isn't much I could do for a while. I was on crutches for a month while the fracture healed before surgery. It was mainly school, playstation and drive the boat.

Anyways, i blew it out on a July 4th weekend and i was back on my snowboard the next February. I just wore a really good brace and rode at about 75%. After surgery, GO TO THERAPY. DO EVERYTHING they tell you to do. Do all of the "at-home" exercises. The key is really getting your range of motion back. It's gonna hurt, but you'll be riding again next spring.
6 years later i barely notice it.
Good luck.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-21-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
ARE YOU SURE YOU DIDN'T HIT A DOWNED SKI? Joking of course!

As someone who also experienced a bad injury while wakeboarding - I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your injury...or anyone elses for that matter. However, like someone else pointed out, talking about suing is ignorant. I guess we need more warning labels.

...and I don't understand your "equipment failure"...you said "I landed nose-down and the board stopped." It sounds like you pearled the nose and on a high speed landing with tight bindings something had to give. Super tight bindings are not forgiving.

I know it sucks to get hurt doing what you love and I wish you a speedy recovery. I went through a range of emotions myself.

Also, I'm not a P.T. but when I was re-habilitating my leg, light swimming and bike riding worked for me.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-21-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
Are the board and the bindings made by the same company or are they made by different companies?
Sounds like more of a problem with the board then the bindings IMO, being that the inserts pulled out of the board.
Old     (joshljoshl)      Join Date: Jul 2000       06-21-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
Thanks, Will, that gives me hope that my snowboarding season won't be completely ruined. I will definitely give physical therapy my 110% effort!

David, I know I assume the risk of a dangerous sport. If I had come out of the binding and the same thing happened, I would just chalk it up to bad luck. As for your description... it was not a "high speed landing". Everyone in the boat thought I was fine and was laughing at my silly looking fall until they heard me screaming. Everyone's first thought was "No way! You didn't crash that hard! There's no way the board should have broke like that!" I know looks can be deceiving, obviously, since my knee bears the evidence.

However, let's say you got a brand new board and bindings and were just riding along when all of a sudden one binding came off the board and in the process destroyed your knee. Would you still be thinking "oh well just bad luck" or would you at least want to give the board company a piece of your mind and expect a new board? Sure, maybe I was jumping and not just riding along, but unless you were there you have no idea whether this was a freak accident that would have caused damage anyway, or it's was truly an equipment failure that caused the injury. The likelihood of me actually trying to sue is slim to none. Mostly, I just wanted to express my disgust with this failure and see what other's thoughts were on the situation.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
If the insert pulled out of the board I am sure the board company will replace your board under warranty, as long as you haven't been hitting sliders. There is no reason to talk about suing anyone. Call the board company and get a replacement board, end of story.

Sorry about your knee, I know, I have blown out both of mine, but it's been 7 years and all is well, knock on wood!!!

If you do what they tell you to do, you will be good as new next season!

good luck,
jjakober
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
Josh, I just finished up a ACL allograph in december, I have been meaning to write a word document to cut and paste in threads like these but here is what I learned in an off the cuff form:

In regards to before surgery: get on a stationary bike or any sort of pedaling movement. The key here is NOT letting the muscles atrophy between now and the surgery!!! Do what you feel comfortable doing, but use that knee (only if you can do so with little to no pain) so that those muscles only atrophy during the short down time after surgery.

In regards to after surgery: I also kept the "ice machine" on my knee 24/7 for the first 3-4 days after surgery and the surgeon was amazed at how little swelling there was - meaning less scar tissue= faster recovery. I also kept that thing elevate as often as possible; this includes sleeping, yah it sucked, but it was worth it. Actually the only time it really swelled up was when I unplugged the machine for the drive to post op the day after (looking back I would have tried to elevate it for the 45 minute drive, and put a cold pack on it). Other than that, staying on the machine and staying ahead of the pain by keeping the pain pill schedule really helped (day two was the worst). I would also invest in a x-box 360 or something similar. I was on the leg machine for 6-8hrs a day to keep that knee moving for the first 7-10 days.

Overall, when the time comes, be stoked your getting fixed and will ride again. This injury used to be a career ender for a lot of athletes, but with modern science, it has become a very normal surgery for atheletes to fully recover from.

FYI: I was cleared to run 1 month out, and fully cleared at 4 months out. I held a very aggressive therapy schedule; and took it extremely seriously. Gave a ton of feedback to both my doctor and PT, pushed as hard as possible within the pain areas, and generally became a workout freak for those four months. Get your ROM back asap if you can! The faster your ROM is back to normal, the faster you start muscle building. But do not neglect your ROM once your working those muscles! Stay on top of all your ROM stretches for the first few months especially. I am still working on them at 6 months out.

For what its worth, my doc was a pro sports med doc, highly recommened, same with PT. When they asked what I was doing to result in such great results, I told them and they were really impressed. I am not trying to talk myself up or anything like that. I just want to give you all the information so you can make an informed decision on how to approach yours. These things worked great for me, how they will work for you time will tell.

P.S. Shiz happens, no reason to file a suit.

(Message edited by liquidmx on June 21, 2007)
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-21-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
wakeguru you rock

josh,
i am leaning towards your side...equipment failure causing you injury is not ok with top of line equipment IMO...however you would have to $fight$ for compensation...when the kid died teak surfing on folsom lake the dad who had been on the boat sued calabria the boat mfgr and got 1 million...for watching and letting his son die teak surfing...i do not think they should have gotten a million i think the father should have been charged with gross negligence manslaughter.
But you have equipment failure causing injury...very expensive injury...i would sue them that might force them to improve their product and save other riders from what you are enduring
Old     (marcg)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-21-2007, 11:31 PM Reply   
I had the same injury: ACL Tear and Meniscus Tear.

The meniscus was by far the bigger problem for me.

Hit the gym and do some major isolated strength building excerises on that leg as soon as you can before the surgery....made a huge difference in the post surgery rehab for me.

Most of the circuit leg machines are ok EXCEPT for the LEG EXTENSION machine...STAY AWAY...that machine is so bad for you knee all around (even if you don't have an injury). They should ban that machine from gyms, it creates so much sheering force on your knee cartilage it is ridiculous why they even still have this thing in gyms.

(Message edited by marcg on June 21, 2007)
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-22-2007, 4:13 AM Reply   
So, for those of you in the same situation - what have you found as a good replacement activity while you're healing up? The doc says they need to wait 3 months before doing surgery just to make sure the knee is healed up and alignment is right before they reconstruct.

I say you need to get a second opinion. That's just me.
Ice as much as you can now, work on the joints above and below your knee ( hip & ankle) ROM & proprioception stuff. Grabbing things with your toes, keeping your hips flexible and most important strengthening your hamstrings.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-22-2007, 4:59 AM Reply   
"So, for those of you in the same situation - what have you found as a good replacement activity while you're healing up? The doc says they need to wait 3 months before doing surgery just to make sure the knee is healed up and alignment is right before they reconstruct."

Never heard of this before. As soon is the swelling is down they should be able to perform surgery. Phantom is right, get a second opinion. You could be a good ways into recovery by 3 months.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-22-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
Biking and more biking. Low impact, great leg work out. Probably the best rehab activity.

Chris
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (joshljoshl)      Join Date: Jul 2000       06-22-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
Gee, Chris, I'm so surprised to hear you say that! ;)
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       06-22-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
I just pulled on a rubber band and exceeded it's tensile strength. It snapped my finger and it hurts real bad.......staples should send me a new one.
I don't mean to come across as a jerk but you weren't just riding and had it break. You put too much pressure (tension) on a part that is supposed to handle compression and it broke. The board is engineered to land on it's bottom not it's top. The handlebars on my dirtbike bent when I took header and ran them into the ground. I made them do something they weren't supposed to do and the bent.

Bad things happen when you wreck with things attached to your body at high speed, you heal up and buy a new one to wreck on.

Josh, I'm not throwing stones at you so please don't take it to heart.

*No Joke* When I was in VA a woman sued a furnature store because a child was running around the store and caused her trip breaking her ankle........it was her own kid. People feel they're entitled to compensation regardless of what happened. Sometimes they're right, and other times it's wrong.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-22-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
Andy, I hear ya on that Calabria suit (heard about the kid, RIP, but didn't hear about the suit) and the father's ignorance. Pretty soon they'll be a sensor on the platform that will shut the engine off when you put pressure on it. The cost of ski/wake boats will go up and it'll be an inconvienence to responsible boaters.... and I'll be the first to admit I teak surfed when I was younger, but no way in hell my old man would have sued - we need more people who think like him in this country if you ask me. That $1 mil didn't bring that guy's kid back. Common sense and accountability is disappearing fast around here.

That said, you seem to be contradicting yourself by suggesting Josh sue the board manuf. Lame argument IMO. Josh said he had a new board. I'd bet it was top of the line - that means light and made for advanced riders (not saying you aren't Josh and correct me if I'm wrong!). Just like pros' surfboards that are made with super light glassing and de-lam or break after a month of use, buying a top of the line wakeboard doesn't necessarily mean it's especially durable - usually the opposite.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       06-22-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
bftskir "But you have equipment failure causing injury...very expensive injury...i would sue them that might force them to improve their product and save other riders from what you are enduring"

Improve thier product how.........to make impossible to wreck on? That shouldn't take the place of accepted risk and responsibility. We all be forced to play with soft anti bacteriel balls inside of an oxygen tent if every manufacturer improved products to the point we couldn't be injured by them. If that were the case I should sue GM for building a truck that allowed a drunk driver to plow into me a stop sign. Sorry but that argument only allows people to shift blame onto others. Granted I'm not talking about a blanket statement, but it seems like everyone uses that as a crutch, much like the race/sexist card. Man this gateway keyboard has caused my hands to hurt by typing this.......game on