Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (manoffew)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-08-2014, 3:03 PM Reply   
Hi all,

Recently got into wakeboarding over the summer and picked up my first board. It's an O'neil system 140 with "Device" bindings. I realize it's an entry level board, but I'm kind of annoyed at how the bindings appear to be getting ripped. Is this considered normal for bindings to do this? Is this something O'neil would replace under warranty? The board was purchased about 2 weeks ago and has been used probably for about 8 hours.

Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       07-08-2014, 3:05 PM Reply   
Definitely a warranty issue! Take them back for sure.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-08-2014, 3:08 PM Reply   
I've had my Belmont Option 2s for 15 years and they are still holding up strong. That is definitely not normal for 2 weeks riding.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-09-2014, 6:14 AM Reply   
I would say that would be pretty standard for those boots. I'm sure they will warranty it, but if you bought it at a Dick's sporting goods or other chain store, I'd push for cash and then find a pro shop or shop online. That board was never really meant to be used. It isn't even really an entry level set up. It is a throw in the ski-locker and use once a year kind of board.

There are a lot of great options in clearance sections, classifieds and craigslist for $300 or so. I'm talking top-end set-ups.

Also, I'm not making a general statement about Obrien. They make some great stuff. This just isn't it.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-09-2014, 6:50 AM Reply   
Guessing that by O'neil you mean O'Brien. This is a warranty issue, contact them here http://www.obrien.com/warranty/ fill out the form, attach pictures, and they should be able to shoot you out some new boots asap. If you have any issues let me know and I will see what I can get done, but this should be no problem. If your riding that much you have probably already passed (in ability) the need for a beginner set up, I would move on to something more advanced. The O'brien Connect boot would be a prefect next step and you could stay on the System board. My gut tells me your wrenching the boots on and then ratcheting them down for a tight fit. The system boots are really designed for the person who is learning on day one and maybe the first year of riding after that. Very forgiving, the come off easy if you crash. I have that set up in my boat as the starter set up for noobies, the boots themselves are a universal fit from size 7-12, you will be blown away by the performance difference between a universal boot and a true shoe fit boot.

Keep me posted.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-09-2014, 6:53 AM Reply   
Oh and don't waste your time going to Dick's if you bought it there go right to O'Brien, if you bought from a pro shop however I would go back in there, they will most likely (or should) give you new boots on the spot.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2014, 7:06 AM Reply   
Can you just return it and get your money back?
Old     (manoffew)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-09-2014, 11:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
Guessing that by O'neil you mean O'Brien. This is a warranty issue, contact them here http://www.obrien.com/warranty/ fill out the form, attach pictures, and they should be able to shoot you out some new boots asap. If you have any issues let me know and I will see what I can get done, but this should be no problem. If your riding that much you have probably already passed (in ability) the need for a beginner set up, I would move on to something more advanced. The O'brien Connect boot would be a prefect next step and you could stay on the System board. My gut tells me your wrenching the boots on and then ratcheting them down for a tight fit. The system boots are really designed for the person who is learning on day one and maybe the first year of riding after that. Very forgiving, the come off easy if you crash. I have that set up in my boat as the starter set up for noobies, the boots themselves are a universal fit from size 7-12, you will be blown away by the performance difference between a universal boot and a true shoe fit boot.

Keep me posted.
You're correct, I meant O'brien, not O'neil- oops! Thanks for the insight. I figured $200 would be a decent price to start at, but it sounds like I might have thought wrong. I have found myself needing to tighten them down quite a bit, and they do fall off a lot. How compatible are bindings amongst different boards? Say for instance I purchased a new set of Connect bindings..would they work if I switched boards?

I've submitted a warranty claim to O'brien, kind of considering returning the board to Academy.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2014, 11:56 AM Reply   
If the store was local, I wouldn't even consider warranty service until I tried to return it. O'Brien might send you a new set of boots just by sending a snapshot, but you'd still be in the same situation of them falling apart again.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-09-2014, 11:57 AM Reply   
Most bindings work on most boards. There are a few exceptions, but that's the general rule. Unless you're rocking something really old school, you can pretty much choose whatever bindings you like best and put them on just about any board. They are pretty universal.
Old     (manoffew)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-09-2014, 3:10 PM Reply   
I should probably start a new thread (and this has probably been asked a million times), but what is a good board for ~$300? I'm 180lbs, hence the system being a 140.
Old     (manoffew)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-15-2014, 6:14 AM Reply   
Hey Andy, sent you a PM.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-15-2014, 7:03 AM Reply   
http://www.the-house.com/wakec-all.h...0%20-%20349.00

lots of good deals there.
Old     (RossDantonio)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-15-2014, 12:32 PM Reply   
Hey Manoffew,
Ross Dantonio here with O'Brien, looks like you're definitely a stronger rider than the Device bindings were designed for. Please reach out to Sirianna in our customer service department we'll take care of ya! Sirianna can be reached at:

SiriannaT@obrien.com
(425) 831-1065 ext 165

If anyone else has any issues with O'Brien please reach out as well.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-15-2014, 1:56 PM Reply   
Ha Ross Beat me to it! I just sent Sirianna an email on your behalf. Let me know if you have any more issues!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-15-2014, 3:07 PM Reply   
Sent you a PM man, I talked with Siranna and she has all your contact information! She will help you out.
Old     (manoffew)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-26-2014, 6:26 PM Reply   
I don't think it would be fair not to follow up with this thread....

O'brien sent a brand new pair of connect bindings to me, and I couldn't be happier. +1 for the folks at O'brien, thank you!