Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-18-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
i seen the whole out of bounds photoshop stuff that everyone was doing a little while back and as an assignment in school we had to build a website and i thought the out of bounds/ pinboard kinda thing could be a cool way to build a site. the navagations is really simple. the only thing thats a little un clear is that the newspaper clipping, which by the way took a heap of time to make from stracth, is acctually a link to open up my other website. it make both viewable from one easy source.

all the links are done with lightwindow, which is a slick little javascript function that makes things nice a clean.

this is basically a gallery site for my photos. unfortunatly i didnt really take that much time sorting through stuff to find the best photos. so critique is more for the site than the photos, but that said let me know whatever you guys think

www.joshturner.ca
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-18-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
Looks good.

You left behind a extra closing tag in your HTML (lower left hand side of the screen)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-18-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
brett, talk about your attention to detail! dude, i didn't even see that! haha!

josh, looks really good man!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-18-2008, 10:06 PM Reply   
Nice work!
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-18-2008, 10:11 PM Reply   
how were the load times for everyone, for the flash slideshows?

was it relativley quick or slow?
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-19-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
nice work.. Tell me about the photo of the bride/groom, etc dancing, jumping? Any photoshope work there? Cool pics...great photos and great site..
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-19-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
b webb

the wedding shot was a combination of a lack of time, a controlable ambient in the alley, a couple nikon speedlights and some luck.

i honestly had like 2 minutes to set up the shot, shoot and be gone. basically i stopped down the ambient by a couple stops to a contrast level i liked. pointed both the lights that i had on stands and got everyone to jump while the couple stayed still.
it came together quite well considering how quickly i had to set up.
the photoshop work is minimal. i shoot raw, so basically there is some sharpening and basic contrast adjustments but i pretty much nailed that one in camera.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-19-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
I really like the idea of the website. Something I haven't seen before. Load time was fine.

Can I make some critiques? I'm not sure if you are trying to make a go at photography as a career. But your pictures could be stronger. Some basic photography errors. A lot of your beach pics, the horizon is noticably crooked. Landscapes have to be spot on level. You definitely have some winners in there but sometimes the lighting is noticably flat on the portraits. I really dig the ones that seemed to be more staged (tennis, guitar hero, wedding). The lighting there is more dramatic. The others seem snapshotish.

Sorry if I seem harsh.
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-19-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
A.P.

thanks for the critique. A lot of the photos in there are filler shots. I am not particularly fond of anything in the indo category. and yes some portraits were better than others for sure. I normally prefer the staged portrait stuff where i can control the lighting.

i had never acctually noticed that the boat shot and the one surf shot had crooked horizons.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-19-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
I like it. I would maybe use bigger font. It was small on my computer and made it tough to read. I am running at 1600 x 1024 and i know this is going to be different on every computer but if anybody is viewing at my resolution it is a bit small.

Other than that looks great! I like the Get milk, Got Milk? No Go get milk!
Old     (joshturner)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-19-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
thanks riley...
the milk thing was just to add a little personalized touch to it to make it appear as though it would be something that would just be randomly on your wall.

i will look into the font thing. were you referring to the bio/contact page?? it is small on mine too.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       12-19-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
Yeah the bio contact page is it.