Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-24-2012, 4:41 AM Reply   
Has anyone been to see this boat for sale? I've seen a few crappy pics on the LOW marine site. Obviously I can't just drive down to look at it to determine its a pile. If I knew it was structurally sound and the block wasn't cracked I'd go grab it in a heart beat... Owner(not low, boat is in storage there) thinks I'm kicking tires as I want a video of the engine at least starting and pictures of the stringers. They assert that 2001s are worth 6-10 restored so "theres still money to restore..." - not if its rotted. And I also told them 2001s don't go for 10 anymore, except the nicest examples with FCTs. They weren't willing to provide more pics or info...

So anyway, I didn't know if anyone was down that way and has either seen it or.could pop in to look for 10 minutes...

Duane
Old     (2LakeWake)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-24-2012, 4:53 AM Reply   
Hey Delta,

I can't promise anything, but as luck would have it, I may be up that way for work over the next couple days......If I am and have time, I would have no issue stopping by and taking a look at it for you. Shoot me a message on here and I will get back with you later on and let you know if it looks like I will have time to stop in there.

Give me specifics on the things you want me to look at/pics of and I will try to get them(remember I will be in dress clothes!!!!). I know plenty about boats, but would like to try to address any of your concerns.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-25-2012, 7:03 AM Reply   
Thanks for the offer Justin. I had a list of things I wanted checked and now I see more boats popping up in this area for cheap, not that cheap, but my known costs with that boat plus unknowns would be more total cost than some of the local options I am finding, some of the boats that are more local have less unknowns, and they're half the distance with trailers that I know will roll back to NY.

Thanks for the offer, love the WW brotherhood!
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-25-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
What person wouldn't provide additional pictures or information?!? Anytime I hear...."great project boat" it means the boat is a pile of crap.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-25-2012, 7:57 AM Reply   
Justin, maybe you already know this but to test the stringers take a socket set and see what happens when you try and tighten the lag bolts that hold the motor mount rail things to the stringers. If they actually tighten/bite then the stringers are ok right there. If they jsut spin then they are mush. Also, push your foot down around the floor to see if there is an soft spots. The area between the pylon and the observers seat may be soft but that wouldnt' be anythign too out of the ordinary. It is just a wide area with no support so it doesn't take much to soften that area up. It is a concern but not like the motor mount bolts. You can also try and move the driver's seat around to see if the floor under it is rotten.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-25-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
KDA - I was breaking his balls a little but he was heavy on the defensive and all "let me know when you want to come down". I've since found running examples available for 4... I'll buy a wicked project and do it over the fall winter spring, but if it needs stringers+3 grand, I'm not paying 2650 for it...