Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (liquidlite)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-10-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
because i was charged $100 last year, and it seems very simple, i decided to save the cash and do this myself. I was gonna run anti freeze through the tubes...is there more to this? sorry for the the ignorance.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-10-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Thats a total rip off...I just vacuum out the lines from the through hull drains. I've considered running anti freeze through them but I store inside and we typically don't get that cold here in western Washington.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-10-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
Good idea. Do you use some adapter or just use the shop vac nozzle?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-10-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
Just the shop vac alone for me seals up well enough to get out all the water.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-10-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
how much water do u guys typically find in the tanks. I always figured most of the water was drianed when dumping the tanks.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-10-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
Last year i got quite a bit but this year not that much less than a smallish shop vac full.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
$100 ? ? ? Run some anti-freeze through your ballast system and call it good that's what I do and it gets down in the teens where I live
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-10-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
I plan on removing my bags so I can clean them up and dry out. I also could use a shop vac or even an air compressor to shoot out the water.

Anyone use an air compressor?
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-10-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
question: are you guys worried about the pumps holding water & freezing or the tubes/tanks/sacks? I understand the idea of winterizing, but unless the tube/tank/sack is completely full the water will expand without breaking anything, won't it? I mean, path of least resistance and all?

P.S. Don't forget your heater cores!
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-10-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
I always get all the water out of my pumps by removing the impellers. I can't imagine a little extra water in the ballast tanks and bags would do any harm to them, would it?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-10-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
I would be more worried about a little water remaining in the pump & breaking it as it froze.

So I've been going over my boat the last week or so. I found the fill pump for the midship tank is loose. The fitting it's attached to screws into the tank & is not even hand tight. Seems like the tank would be leaking into the bilge a lot. But I only had the bilge pump go on a handful of times, even after the boat sat on the lake for 2 months this summer.
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-10-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
liquidlite,
love the orange moomba! i agree with most here, would not pay 100 to winterize ballast, was the bill to do a complete winterize? that would probably include more than just the ballast.

i have not winterized yet, i hope i don't have to, i store inside my garage.

i agree with airjunky, the main thing to be concerned with will be water in the pump and hoses. they have the least room to expand when freezing.

if you are going to do the whole winterize your self, remember the heater, all the block plugs, impeller, etc.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-10-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
I wouldn't even think twice about winterizing ballast. As long as the tanks aren't full you shouldn't have a problem. I suppose the pumps could be a slight issue, but I doubt it. If you are truly worried I would think that running a bit of antifreeze and water mixture through the pumps would fully remove any concern of damage.
Old    walt            10-10-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
I hope the antifreeze doesn't end up in the lake come spring time.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-10-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
^^^ Everyone should use the pink RV/Marine antifreeze so it's safe.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-12-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
the heater core you guys are talking about here is just for boat that have the heater option, right?? if you don't have a heater than you don't need these T flush valves, right?
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-12-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
i read Bill's excellent PDF on winterizing from The Crew website from a while back, it is great if you guys haven't checked it out.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-12-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
Went out & rode today..... 62 air & 52 water temps. When we pulled out & after I drained everything, I tried the shop vac on the ballast ports. I was amazed how much water came out of each one. Got almost 1/2 a gallon combined.

You got it, TJ. And if you don't have a heater on your boat, don't tell your wife/girlfriend they exist or your going to be installing one in your boat! The heater is great for keeping everyone comfortable when your riding in the off season.
Old     (liquidlite)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-13-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
thats funny you should say that about the heater bill...my girlfriend found out about boat heaters and has been pushing hard for one all yr. unless she fronts the cash, throw on another sweatshirt