Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-13-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
Hey! Anybody else see Retrospect? I just watched it this morning and I'm blown away. I mean you always think that having the good gear, the tower or pylon, etc will give you more hangtime and better tricks. wow, was I every wrong! If you watch the video, you see guys like Gator, Shapiro and Byerly throwing down raley's and mobes, etc on SKURFERS and with no rope height. I couldn't believe it, really shows you that there is SO much more potential when you DO have that extra height. Really makes me wanna ride harder, what do you guys think?
Old    wickedwake            06-13-2005, 4:29 PM Reply   
You read my mind, I was coming here to start this exact same thread b/c I just got the DVD today...It is definetly the best all around wakeboard video I have seen. It is more of a movie or history lesson. If you have a passion for this sport then you own it to yourself to watch this video.
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-13-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
spoken like a true boarder. It totally is a history lesson/movie about the sport. Really shows you the potential of what you can do with what you have.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-13-2005, 6:25 PM Reply   
I'd say the best way to describe this movie is to say its basically the Dogtown and Z Boys for wakeboarding.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-13-2005, 7:27 PM Reply   
That's why when people ask if they "need a tower" my response has always been "No" because there is so much that can be accomplished behind even a 16' 80 hp outboard with a regular ski pylon. I peronally have friends throwing 1-3 inverts and 3's behind the boat described above. Technique, skill, and talent make up so much the rest can only help you out in moderation to highlight those features.
Old    wickedwake            06-13-2005, 10:02 PM Reply   
I had a guy tell me today that "he is as good as he is going to get behind his 'non wake boat'" I just chuckled a little...
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-14-2005, 7:10 AM Reply   
Oh how unwise i once was . Although you CAN do all this behind just a regular boat, it's still more fun to do it though behind a real boarding boat! No argument there, that's for sure!
Old    stormrider            06-14-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
Liked the background but didn't understand why there was so much Scott Byerly adoration going on. I thought for a moment that it was a remembrance film and that the guy had died.
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-14-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
Retrospect IS the story of Scott Byerly. It follows the beginning of wakeboarding as well, but the movie is supposed to be a "tribute" to him i guess.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-14-2005, 2:32 PM Reply   
I was a bit humbled this weekend.... I've just spent the past 3 months upgrading my sacs 3 times over trying to get the best wake out of my boat. I'm not the best rider, so I figured every little thing can help.

This past weekend we passed by a guy behind an I/O (don't know which make) that had an extended pylon. The wake this thing was throwing wasn't much to speak of. In fact, it wasn't very big at all.

The guy behind it, however, was tearing it up. We watched him throw a HS 3. Then he comes back toeside with another 3. Then back across with another 3. The back across with a roll to revert. Then back the other way with a 540. Damn!!

We don't typically see people throwing so many tricks in succession behind a wake boat, much less an I/O with no wake. Does this mean I will stop buying crap for my boat to make it better? Heck no!

Of course I will continue dreaming up new crap to tweak my boat out. It does, however, mean that I will focus a bit more on my technique as opposed to just letting the wake do all the work for me.
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-14-2005, 8:37 PM Reply   
Amen to that! It's amazing...really gives you a little slap in the face and brings you back to reality, eh?