Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-22-2007, 9:27 PM Reply   
the D3 looks amazing.
http://www.dpreview.com/
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-22-2007, 10:10 PM Reply   
Actually they BOTH look like killer cameras. The lcd screens look like they could be incredible. 51 pt AF! on both cameras. 8fps on the d300. looks like nikon is doing what people think canon will never do ie; have 2 cameras very close in specs in very different price ranges.
The new 5d should be a killer, and I just happen to expect to be in the market for one when they are released next year. If canon doesn't respond, I cant see myself buying a 40d with that d300 just a few hundred more
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-22-2007, 11:47 PM Reply   
It would be hard for me to believe that Canon wouldn't respond. I'm sure Canon and Nikon know exactly what each other are doing.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-23-2007, 6:07 AM Reply   
I can't see many people switching systems for the D300. yes, it sounds like an incredible camera but the D300 and 40D are closely speced enough to prevent a mass exodus. I know that on paper it's a better camera but not enough for me to sell my lenses and flashes for. The 40D will do just fine. So I don't get bragging rights that my camera is the best, not a big deal.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-23-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
Well Nikon has decided they're not going to turn loose of that market segment they created with the d200 that's for sure. If their new high ISO holds up from an IQ standpoint and their new super teles are as good as they should be I think there will be a lot of people switching. People will pay a few hundred more for that body if the 40D's AF isn't vastly improved from the 20/30D. In fact both will cut into mkIII sales as well.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-23-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
Geez Joe just bought his D200 and Nikon announces these, I hate it when that happens! Upload
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-23-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
In the electronic age you are always only a few months away from bigger/smaller and better...you already know that though Rich :-)

The D300 has some features that would be nice, over the D200, but the D200 is still not a slouch of a camera.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-23-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
Yep It's a fact of life with this stuff!

I was commiserating more then anything since it's happened to me in the past (no rubbing salt in the wound here).

Just noticed a post that claims the frame rate on the D300 drops to 2.5 fps when shooting 14bit RAW, I guess I'll be sticking with Canon a while longer!

But kudos to Nikon for raising the bar again, good competition can only benefit us all!
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
They do look nice. I will probably wait for the D400 though as I have only had my D200 for a year and i always try to skip every other generation when it comes to high end electronics.

OTOH, if they make something along the lines of a 5D (read a FF D300 with low noise at higher ISO) I would most likely purchase immediately.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-23-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   

quote:

Just noticed a post that claims the frame rate on the D300 drops to 2.5 fps when shooting 14bit RAW, I guess I'll be sticking with Canon a while longer!

Yep...and I also read that using DX lenses will limit you to 6.1 MP. I'll bet sales for that 16mm fishy are gonna pick up shortly...

Someone post some test images! I wanna see what the noise levels look like at the higher ISOs.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-24-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
D300 won't be available until Nov to the public.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-24-2007, 11:12 PM Reply   

quote:

By Rich Dykmans (richd) on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 7:22 am:

Geez Joe just bought his D200 and Nikon announces these, I hate it when that happens!

not really. i get to play with the d200 now. like phantom said, d300 won't be available until nov. i'll probably get it sometime next year, though.