Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-05-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
I've been slowly building my boat kit and thought I would start a post to see what other things you all keep as spares/parts. Here are a few of the things I currently have:

Perfect Pass cable
Impellor
Plug
Hoses
Hose Fittings
Nuts, bolts, washers
Various electrical parts
Duct Tape
Electrical Tape
Pipe Tape
Vice Grips
Needle Nose Pliers
Rachets
Screw Driver Kit
Wire Snips
Allen Wrenches
Twine
Oil

Any other things that you have all learned from experience that should be a must in anyone's tool kits??
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-05-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
I almost forgot...

A battery jumper box (very handy!)
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-05-2005, 11:52 AM Reply   
cable/zip ties
loctite
fuses
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-05-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
Christie, dont forget a spare alternator.

I'm packing my toolbox for Shasta tonight...just in case. Hopefully this year will be uneventful.

"End thread hijack"
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-05-2005, 1:06 PM Reply   

American wrench set, Metric wrench set.
American sockets, Metric sockets
Large flat head, Large phlips.
Stubby flat head, Stubby phlips.
adjustable screwdriver.
Cresent wrench.
Amp clamp/voltmeter
American and metric allen wrenches
Wire strippers and wire
butane soder and soder gun
large and small wire strippers and crimpers
Shrinktube razorknife, small crimp's and Electrical tape
Gloves.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-05-2005, 1:53 PM Reply   
Don't forget a knife! We towed some guys in a malibu to union point Sunday so they could get a knife to cut the rope off the prop shaft. Obviously they somehow ran it over, and not their boat nor our boat nor any passerbys had a knife.
Old    stormrider            07-05-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
Definitely "yes" on the impeller-- and know how to change it out.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-05-2005, 1:56 PM Reply   
Most people have upgraded to newer props, it's not a bad idea to throw your old prop in the truck, especially on river trips. Having an extra prop has saved many a weekend.

-Steve
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       07-05-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
Oh… I can’t believe Brad beat me to the punch on the alternator comment!

Was it the heater core going out that prompted this post??? Is a mag-light flashlight and a hose clamp now considered a hose fitting??

The boat tool box list continues…
Spare belt, Spare pin for swim step (don’t ask), Flashlight, Volt meter, spare hardware for tower/ racks/ bimini, channel locks, extra docking lines, extra ballast pump, blue water bed fittings, and bag caps for those using bags.

Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-05-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
Brad - You shouldn't have jinxed us for next week. I don't have a spare alternator in the kit!!

Jeff - Yes, it was the heater core issue that and memories of Alternators Gone Bad!! Believe it or not, the mag-lite still works. I think it will stay in the tool kit :-)
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-05-2005, 3:06 PM Reply   
Jeff, should bumpers be considered in this kit?
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       07-05-2005, 3:47 PM Reply   
Why yes they should...! Next time you can help me load the boat to make sure we got it all

Don't forget the bottle opener... oh wait... I got one of those installed permanently.

So as a follow-up to this thread… do you have a different set of tools / supplies for local trips vs. road trips?

Brad... if you jinxed us... you will be the designated mechanic this year.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-05-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
What do you mean if I jinx us? I didn't start this thread.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-06-2005, 7:32 AM Reply   
Hey Christie, I second the knife comment and add swim goggles and fins. I know the fins and goggles sound like toys but when inspecting under the boat they are very helpful. The mag-light is a must too.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-06-2005, 8:55 AM Reply   
I was going to add swim goggles too. We also have a piece of hose to use as a snorkel. This all added to the boat after an incident with the rope wrapped around the prop...

I'm impressed at your guy's tools. We have a screwdriver and a wrench. Guess we're counting on the fact it's a newer boat and we board really close to our marina.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-06-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
A good anchor and plenty of line. Nothing like worrying about where you're drifting while you're working on the problem at hand.

Jeff Reese (jeffr) on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 2:26 pm
Spare pin for swim step (don’t ask)

Zip ties work as a great replacement for pins that don't want to stay.
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2005, 8:58 AM Reply   
Andy - I just picked up my fuse kit on Sunday and I already had zip ties. Loctite?? Have you needed it before?

David & Gregg - Yes, the knife comes in very handy. I have a leatherman tool on board and had to use the knife the weekend before last to cut the hoses off a heater core gone bad.

Steven - Yeah, once you change an impellor one time, you don't forget what a pain they are!

Steve - A spare prop would be great to have - especially on longer trips.

Brad - I started this thread to UN-jinx us