Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (shadow7874)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
I've been riding a few times before but never really got to ride frequently. The summer before last my friend has a 135 liquid force and i loved how it felt but i haven't rode anything other then a really old p.o.s. Im about 5' 10" and only 125-130 lbs. I can ride pretty good but havent managed to start learning any tricks yet. Im hoping to get a board that i wont have to replace after i start getting better as i plan on riding alot this summer. Id really like something thats quite light weight but im trying to limit myself to $400 or so with binding. Any recommendation? Ive always liked liquid force but not for and real reason...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-05-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Liquid force trip, or hyperlite murray
Old     (shadow7874)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
Should i go with the 134 or the 138 if i get the trip?
Old     (CrackWhite)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
i would definatly look into the Ronix Vault. It has the toes side edge is thinned out so it will sit deeper in the water making your toes side learning alot easier. Brand new with bindings its only $349.99
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-05-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
138 with your height, if possible I would recommend demo'ing
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-05-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
just make sure you demo a bunch of boards. if you liked the liquid force board that you've ridden, check out the shane, either the 134 or the 138. the shane pops you more straight up than the trip. i would go w/ the 138 though. personally, i like big boards (i weigh 155 and ride a 140-142); bigger pop and softer landings.

Last edited by dakid; 04-05-2010 at 1:57 PM.
Old     (lakeboyz)      Join Date: May 2005       04-06-2010, 1:29 AM Reply   
im 155 and 5-11 ride 140, if you like a wide rides with lots of rocker and pop the 135 is fine, i thinner profile 17 inches or under, my guess is at least 138 like the others have said, i 2nd the demo suggestion, then if you find something you like, try evogear.com .....easy 300$ packages or ebay you could get as low as 200$$$$
Old     (shadow7874)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-07-2010, 6:04 PM Reply   
Im probably going to go with the LF Trip but im still not sure if i should get a 134 or 138. According to the weight listed i should be on a 134 easily but a few of you ahve said 138. The only board ive ridden was a 135 and it felt fine but i have nothing to compare it too
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-07-2010, 7:07 PM Reply   
size is much more important than make or model.
Old     (shadow7874)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-08-2010, 6:09 AM Reply   
What kind of difference will i feel between a 134 and a 138? I was leaning toward the 134 but a few of you said 138 so im not sure but id like to order a board tonight if i can make up my mind. Im almost definitely going with the trip
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-08-2010, 8:25 PM Reply   
As you can see from all the different posts, a board is more taste than a one size fits all. Demo if you can, if you cant call up a proshop and talk to someone. There is sooo many details that cant be expressed typing. That being said, here is my view on a beginner/intermediate board:

Get something that is forgiving if you are just starting out or relearning. And by forgiving I mean a soft or rounded edge. This will lessen the likelihood of catching an edge and give you more confidence to try something new and push our own riding level, and you will prob enjoy the experience more if you are not wincing in fear every time you land. This soft edge may slow down your edging a little, but you wont be charging the wake like Rusty for awhile.

Continuous Rocker is another feature you will look for. This will give you a board that is easier to control and be more predictable for your riding level. It will also let you carry a little bit more speed into the wake than a 3 stage or abrupt/aggressive continuous rocker. (this will also help you get back a little bit of that edge you lost going with a softer edge) The continuous will also help you carry more speed while jumping and that will soften your landing.

Fins, channels, & bottom features - my personal preference is to go with a board that allows you to change the feel of your board. Your riding level will progress while you are learning so why not get a board that can progress with you too? a completely smooth bottomed board will not track as well as a board with channels or cupped edges. So look at the bottom of your board more than the graphics on the top of your board.

Finally, size - go with the right sized board, not just the biggest board you can get up on. It is true a larger board will give you more pop, but a smaller board will be easier to control. You are tall for your weight, but your board doesnt really know that. If you are a really strong and dont mind man handling your board, go for a bigger board. If you feel pretty timid behind the boat (like most beginning/intermediate riders are), dont be afraid to size down. Get the board that fits your personality and it will promote having a good time behind the boat.

Here are a few boards I suggest: (and before any one pitches a fit. Yes, I am from Hyperlite and that is what I suggest because that is what I know the best and what I like riding the best.)

1st choice - 137 Hyperlite Tribute - soft edge, continuous rocker, easy release off the wake
2nd choice - 134 Hyperlite Forefront - soft edge, board sent with extra fins to help you progress, continuous rocker, great beginner/intermediate board
3rd choice (only pro model on the list) - 137 Murray BIO - if you want to spend the extra money this will be a blended 3 stage rocker that will still be forgiving, soft edge

My best advice though is to call up a pro shop and establish a relationship with them. Whether it is online or you go into a shop you will benefit during and after the sale if you talk to someone and get their out look on a board or a company. If you dont know of a shop to talk to call up Hyperlite and we will help you find one that has great customer service. Our number is 800-938-4646. And of coarse, demo the board if at all possible. If you have any questions please feel free to call us. Thanks.

Corey M @ Hyperlite
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-08-2010, 8:39 PM Reply   
btw - if you wanted to ride something smaller than a 137, the tribute also comes in a 132. Forgot to add that to my #1 choice.