Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-20-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
I surf goofy and a buddy of mine claims u can switch the prop rotation on boats pretty easily. What would this entail? Is it hard on the vdrive unit or tranny. I heard that in 03 u could get an xstar either left or right.
Old    bocephus            01-20-2008, 8:00 PM Reply   
Uhmm you could do this one of four ways that I can think of.

1. You can swap out the camshaft in the motor for a reverse rotation camshaft and run the engine backwards. - Pretty Involved...

2. You can take the V-drive out and swap the gears so you run on the top, not the bottom. This is almost impossible unless you have an old Casale V-drive in your boat, which you don't.

3. You can add another transmission on the end of the V-drive so the prop turns the other way via a sun gear. Major PITA.

4. I guess you could just swap out the transmission for one that rotates the opposite direction, maybe from an older Nautique.

Did I miss any guys?? In other words it ain't gonna happen....that I know of.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-20-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
Centurion offers either prop rotation as a regular option. They've called the option "Surf Right".

http://www.centurionboats.com/news/Wake%20Surf%20Right%20in%202008
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-20-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
You got them all Bo.
The best bet is to buy the transmission from the Surf Right package and see if you can sell the one you've got. Then you just have to buy a new prop and learn how to park again.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-20-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. He was saying that it was not that big of a deal as Hank jr. described above. Something about fliping the throttle cable, buying a left hand prop and some other work. I am guessing that I may have misunderstood. I am wondering still about the 03' X-stars. If they were truly sold with left and right hand rotations, then it is reasonable to think that the transmission or camshafts were different and could be purchased and installed in the newer models.

Maybe I just need to throw down on a Flyhigh PWT ballast system for it. They should help out and might me less involved and cheaper than the other routes. I do hate filling sacs!

I appreciate the great feedback.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-21-2008, 5:18 AM Reply   
The "surf right" is just a Walter v-drive with an extra gear that spins the output shaft the opposite direction.
Running an engine in the reverse direction is more involved than just the cam... much more involved. just think of all the changes in the accessory drive alone!
A new v-drive can run into the thousands. the new prop will run you 400 or so. Swapping them is pretty easy, just costly.
Reverse rotation does clean the face up some but not enough to justify converting a boat IMO. You get more mileage out of optimizing your ballast and/or adding a bennet tab.
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-21-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
Mike I will bite the bullet on this one. I will trade you my 99 for your 06. I know I am down grading going to mastercraft but I will do it because I want you to be able to enjoy surfing.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-21-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
Not to sound stupid, but why not learn to surf regular. I ski and board goofy, but switched to reg surfing because everyone else was. It was much easier then swapping ballast over.

On a side note, my "dark side" is actually a little cleaner then the port, but no bigger when equally weighted, so I'm just as happy.
Old    bocephus            01-21-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   

quote:

By antifanboi (mars) on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 5:18 am:

The "surf right" is just a Walter v-drive with an extra gear that spins the output shaft the opposite direction.

Are you sure the Walter's Manual doesn't mention that. They do however show a complete diagram of another V-drive with helical gears cut the opposite of the regular one....PCM makes both versions too.

You can actually buy a reverse rotation small block prebuilt ready to go. The roundy round guys use them all the time.
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-21-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
What your buddy was probably thinking was swapping the shifter/throttle cable and prop so that when you put the boat in what it thought was reverse it would turn the prop in it's forward direction. (do you understand what I'm saying) The only way that would work was if the transmission had the same gear ratio for forward and reverse gears which I doubt and even then talk about having to get used to driving again
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-21-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
Mike B,

That sounds like what his buddy is talking about.

Mike, The problem with this is that these gears are typically cut to run quiet while rotating in the "normal" direction and would be noisy while reversed and running against the cut. Much like the ring & pinion in a car or truck. I think this would accelerate the wear on these components. $.02
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-21-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
I surf goofy... and the wake to me is much nicer on the goofy side.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-21-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
Bocephus: If it weren't 19 degrees outside I would snap a pic for you of what Centurion's Surf Right system consists of... instead I'll share the drawings from the walter manual-the "idler gear" is what reverses rotation on those units...

Upload