Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old    wildman240            11-10-2003, 10:00 PM Reply   
OK guys I'm new to the forum and just looking for some input here. Towards the end of the summer I got a Cobalt 240. Here's a link to just bring you up to speed on the boat. Cobalt 240 http://www.cobaltboats.com/model_line/240/index.html. I wanted to get a boat cause I was starting to get into wakeboarding and have always wanted a boat. Lost a Harley over it but hopefully pays off next season. We ended up getting a Cobalt so it was still a family boat and everyone could enjoy it but still pretty decent for wakeboarding. It's the closest boat Cobalt makes for wakeboarding. Anyways I'm putting a Tower and Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro on it this winter and looking into putting my own ballast system in it. It puts off a decent size wake anyways without much trim. I mean it's a 24ft. boat and weights about 5K full with water and fuel plus about 3 guys. I also had a question about how much ballast. I hear everyone talking about putting anywhere from like 1000lbs. to 2000lbs. of ballast in their boats but most of these boats have a capacity of like 1700lbs. Is that just people weight and can these boats handle a lot more then that or is everyone just ignoring the specs. until they sink their boat? My 240 has a 496 in it that pushes 375 HP so I'm not worried about it weighting it down. I mean it's hard as hell to pull boarders cause it has too much power I think. I know that sounds weird but not being a true tow boat it's hard to keep the power constant and I'm hoping PP fixes that. I'm just looking for some input from anyone that has riden in a Cobalt and if you guys think it's worth the time and money. If I had to do it over again I would just get a CC, MC or something like that but I think this boat can be pretty good for an I/O with these few options. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. That's why I joined. Thanks a lot.

(Message edited by Wildman240 on November 10, 2003)
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-10-2003, 10:34 PM Reply   
Are you interested in having a good time on the water or wakeboarding? If you don't mind me asking, how much was that Cobalt? Sure you can install a ballast system, add a tower and pp but you still may not be happy! It seems you are interested in creating a quality wakeboard experience but stuck on this family "thing." What makes you think you cannot have a great family experience behind an X-Star for example... No just kidding... but really.. A lot of people try to keep in mind "family boat" when decision time comes around but in reality they want their boat to perform like an inboard or v-drive. No substitute my friend.
Old    wildman240            11-11-2003, 12:03 AM Reply   
I understand what your saying cdm and what makes me think that I can't have a good time behind a X-star is my DAD!! haha jk anyway no one in my family is really in to wakeboarding and sking besides me and if we were going to get a boat it was going to have to be something like that. So I figured might as well get a Cobalt if I'm going to get anything. Big Cobalt fan and the 240 was the best thing for all around. Don't get me wrong I think my boat is great for wakeboarding now, It's has a great wake I would like to just add some weight to fine tune the wake you know. I think it will be probably one of the best I/O wakeboarding boats out there. I don't know if you looked at the Cobalt link but between the hull and design perfect. It was about 75K and I know I could of gotten anything and everying on a X-star if I wanted to but that's where the parents come in you know. I mean it's more of a luxary thing for them and a sport thing for me and it was the best of both worlds. We have a condo in Ft. Myers FL. and I don't think I could talk my dad into an X-30 or something like that and get that in the ocean and go anywhere you know what I'm saying. That was another big factor. But now that MC has come out with that X-80 now that I might beable to talk my dad into. HA It's funny though cause he already want's to get a 26 or 28 footer now. Funny how I have created a Monster out of my dad. Oh well I guess we'll see how this turns out. Thanks

(Message edited by Wildman240 on November 11, 2003)
Old    tribal            11-11-2003, 8:07 AM Reply   
If you want to use the boat for things[especially ocean cruising] other than wakeboarding than an i/o is def yhe way to go.IMO a inboard wake specific boat is nothing more than a toy.If you only boat in small lakes and rivers than that's great but they're not seaworthy!I/O's can also give a great wake,maybe not as perfect as the latest greatest wake specific boat but they get the job done.
As far as setup I have a 22' i/o that's rated for 1200 lbs that I've had as much as 2000lbs in but 1500lbs seems to do the trick.People generally load over the limit.PP & a tower will def help.I would also try going to a lower pitch prop for speed handling issues should make it easier to control speed at the slower speeds of wakeboarding.Is it a cc or br if it's a cc I don't think adding weight will help that much.
Old    wildman240            11-11-2003, 9:26 AM Reply   
It's is a Bowrider. Since it is a dual prop setup do you think that changing the props. will make a diff.? Thanks a lot
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-11-2003, 9:27 AM Reply   
Cobalts are great, and that that is a very nice boat. Wake size is proportional to the weight of the boat (and other factors, but weight is the one you can control). Many of us exceed Coast Guard load ratings so we can get a bigger wake. I have a 22' boat with a 96" beam, and it weighs about 5500-5800 lbs when fully loaded with ballast and people. That's quite a bit above the official load capacity, but it seems safe in the calm waters we ride in--espcially since most of the ballast is water. A 24' boat with a wider beam probably requires quite a bit more total weight to generate a similar-sized wake.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-11-2003, 9:58 AM Reply   
Wow, $75,000 for a supersized runabout. I guess everyone has priorities! Does it have a bathroom? Ok, so throw on a tower, custom ballast and pp and have some fun. I suggest at ~ 2000+ lbs of ballast for that beast. I run ~2880 lbs of ballast in my 03' X-Star.
Old    wildman240            11-11-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
Yeah it has a bathroom if you haven't ever seen one in person or looked at one I would suggest it. Great boats and if you going to get a new boat and can afford it I would try to get one or something of that sort. One of the best boats for luxary, style and performance and better resale value then most. Check out the link at the top of this post and you'll see why. Thanks for all the input guys, guess I'll start looking at stuff for a ballast system. Tower and PP are going on this winter. I'll keep you posted. Thanks a lot.
Old    tribal            11-11-2003, 6:15 PM Reply   
What rpm are you running at wakeboarding.I would assume pretty low since I'm sure that boat has a top speed of 50mph+.If that's the case lowering prop pitch should help lots just gonna cost more with 2 props.If planing isn't a prob I would try adding the majority of your weight in the back.I put about 70% of my weight in the back.Also play with the trim lot's it cleans up and makes the wake larger.
Old    wildman240            11-11-2003, 7:03 PM Reply   
I'm not too sure what RPM I'm running at. I usually run about 19 MPH's. I will look into what kind of pitch I can get for my boat in four blade. Thanks for the input I'm looking into the ballast systems and sac sizes now. I'll keep you all posted when I figure out what I'm going to do for sure. Thanks a lot.