Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       10-18-2012, 7:45 PM Reply   
Or gets health care through their employment with a small business?

Curious what you've got, and what you pay (or as an employer, what you provide and how much you pay etc)...

Thanks!
Old     (cragrat)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-18-2012, 8:15 PM Reply   
Own a true small business with 9 full time employees. Youngest is 26, oldest is 63. Rates run between $720 and $1476 monthly depending on age of employee and number of dependents receiving coverage. 6 month probation for new hires, then eligible for health plan. We have HISTORICALLY required employees to pay only $100 monthly for their insurance. Being a retail establishment competing for employees in a community referred to as the "Energy Capital of the Nation" is tough... hence our quite generous health care plan. The oil and gas industries are big players here... but coal dominates as the fourteen largest strip mines in the country are right here in our county.

That being said... ask me the same question if Obamacare isn't repealed, I may have a different answer for you... if I have an answer at all...
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-18-2012, 8:18 PM Reply   
I do.
We had Kaiser until about a year ago(since '92) and dropped them like a hot potato after their rates sky rocketed in the last five years, over doubled! We switched to Blue Cross and cut our rate almost in half, but picked up a 20.00 copay. I have no idea how good they are because none of us has used them yet.
Pretty vague information as you'd want to compare apples with apples. You have my number.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-19-2012, 10:48 AM Reply   
kaiser is the cheapest in CA. Find a broker and work with them. Usually requires a percentage of employees to sign up and a particular number of them.

You know I hate Kaiser, but they are better than nothing. I do have to admit my last trip to the hospital earlier this year at Kaiser was actually kinda positive. Got a bad sliver in my hand, and they had me out the door in less than an hour and a half with no appointment. Required slicing me open to remove it. Unfortunately it was the day before we went to Kona to go diving, so I had to stay out of the water for a couple of days. Of course two weeks later it was still tender, and a flashlight revealed there was a second piece of wood. I performed the surgery myself this time, and finished the job.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       10-19-2012, 4:17 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. Have a meeting Monday to discuss the options with the broker. It's a lot to wade through on my own.