Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-22-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
Ive tried surfing a few times ( not really my thing) but never have been able to let go of the rope. Well yesterday on our Epic , I decided to give it a go and was able to let go and actually ride for awhile. Turns out to be fun! May have to do it more often now.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-22-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
Post some pics, would love to see what the surf wake looks like on the epic.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-22-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
pics pics pics!!!
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-22-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
Hooked.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-25-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
didnt get a chance to snap pics.. didnt expect to be able to let go.. Next time tryin out the shred stixx.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-25-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
Dude, take some pics. I have heard from some, one person that owns an epic, they cannot make a surf wake at all. Would love to see it. You gotta be able to make something with all that ballast.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-01-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
Robert thats bs from whoever told you that, I havent seen in person the wake but ive seen pics and it looks pretty damn big.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-01-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
I don't want to use the name, but it was direct from an owner. They mostly wakeboard, and are very serious. We see them on our lake and my daughter asked them how the surf wake was behind it. They said they have tried but haven't been able to get a decent surfwake. I heard other rumors like that at the last surf comp. I have nothing against epic in the least. I would just really like to see pics of it. Big doesn't mean good.

Anyway, would love to see pics what kind of wake it can throw with stock ballast. My imagination says it should be big, but curious of how clean, long, and if it works on both sides.
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-03-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
i tryed surfin today for the 1st time and its so fun!!! but i cant let go of the rope! every time i do i fall back!?!? (i dont want to hijack this thread so can anyone point me to a howto thread maybe?)

thanks
Old    surfdad            10-05-2008, 5:58 AM Reply   
Hey CZ, Try this link. If that doesn't help, probably best that you post up a fresh thread and give us particulars. Your weight, the board you're riding and what your wake looks like.

Hey guys, we are going out on an Epic today. It's supposed to be fresh from the factory. I'll post up pic's and and pertinent info on the boat. Keep your fingers crossed for us that it does surf well! :-)
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-05-2008, 7:23 AM Reply   
hey thanks surfdad!! ill try some of the things they said to do and if it works great! if not ill post a new thread!
Old    surfdad            10-05-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
You bet CZ...Keep us posted!
Old    surfdad            10-05-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
We surfed the Epic today. Pictures of the regular side wake. All of these the boat was driven straight.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            10-05-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
A perfect darkside wake

Upload
Old    surfdad            10-05-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
OK OK OK :-) That last one isn't true. The darkside wake as a bit of a challenge. The swimdeck dug into the water and messed up the face. Turning into the wake made a great darkside wake.

Upload
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-05-2008, 11:18 PM Reply   
Curious surfdad, what is your impression of it? Seems like you had to add a lot of extra weight on reg, with the locker door open, is that correct?
Old    surfdad            10-06-2008, 5:30 AM Reply   
No, the rear locker isn't all that deep. It's not shallow, but it's not deep like our Tige's. We had a single 750 pound bag and when we filled it up to around 500 or so pounds the hinge mechanism wouldn't keep the door closed. If you want to weight the Epic, you really need lead for that back locker.

The wake on the regular side was incredibly steep. GREAT for folks like James that do aerials. The lip was so hard, it was like a kicker - literally it would boot him into the air. WAY too steep for baldING folks like myself. :-) I think it would be good for longboarding also. The curl at the back of the pocket would keep the tail in place. :-) I'd bet that if you had some time you could mitigate that steepness by placing weight here and there, but my guess is that it will always have some steepness.

The darkside wake will need some help, the swimdeck issue would have to be addressed. On the regular side, the swimdeck didn't hit the water, but on the darkside it hit without much issue.

The Epic has a ton of ballast. 1,500 on a side and 1,000 up front. It seems to like some weight up front, too. However, the weight on the side is mostly amidship, not towards the back. The pocket was exceptionally long and the wake had really great push. We surfed at speeds in the 14mph range at times. :-) 12.1 to 12.9 seemed to be the best.

I think that you can surf the wake, and create a wake on both sides that would be surfable with the boat going straight. I don't think it would be anyone's "surf only" choice, though.

We'd heard a number of people say that you can't surf it. The sales folks, like all folks that sell product, say it surf's like a champ, in fact there aren't enough superlatives to describe it!. :-) Actually Tom, the dealer was very straight up. Nice guy and honest. Anyway, the truth is in between. It's surfable, the ballasting is NOT intuitive and that may be some of the problem that folks are having. I've got a bunch more pictures if anyone wants to see them, just shout. That's my 2 cents.