Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    jentzekm            07-09-2004, 7:12 AM Reply   
I HAVE A 4 YEAR OLD RIDER WHO NEEDS A BOARD AND BINDINGS THAT FIT HIM. HE HAS BEEN ATTEMPTING TO RIDE IN ADULT SIZES HOWEVER THE BOARD IS WAY TO BIG FOR HIM AND THE BINDINGS COME UP TO HIS KNEES. HE IS ANXIOUS TO LEARN AND WE NEED INFORMATION AS TO WHAT TYPE OF BOARD/BINDINGS TO BUY AND WHERE TO BUY THEM. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELPFUL INFORMATION YOU CAN GIVE US TO HELP THIS YOUNG RIDER.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
Here are some wakeboard suggestions...sometimes they come w/packages so you can get the board + bindings together. I wouldn't spend a whole lot since he will be growing out of it soon.

Hyperlite Era 124 or Hyperlite Motive 119
CWB Raven 124 or CWB Blade 122
O'Brien Myth 126
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 7:41 AM Reply   
Here's a few more to look at...

Hyperlite Voyager 121, Blindside Five-O 125, Double Up Grommet 125, Liquid Force Nemesis 118

I would probably pick the Hyperlite Motive 119 out of all of these for your son.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 7:44 AM Reply   
Sorry I meant Hyperlite Voyager 121...the motive might be better for him when he progresses.
Old    jentzekm            07-09-2004, 8:03 AM Reply   
HOW SMALL DO THE BINDINGS COME? AND WHAT BRAND?
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
they should have junior sizes. also read the reviews on some of these boards on this website under Boards. Here's some nice packages to look at. Hope this helps

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/hyperlite_wakeboards_motive/hyperlite_motive_package

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/hyperlite_wakeboards_universal/hyperlite_universal_package

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/liquid_force_wakeboards_nemesis/liquid_force_nemesis_118_wakeboards
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   
http://www.buywake.com/catalog/gromdept.lasso
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       07-09-2004, 9:41 AM Reply   
Mango:

I have a hyperlite kids united series voyager board I bought for my daughter two years ago. She's never ridden it and tells me she has no intention of ever riding it. It's been taken on the boat about 5 times and never ridden. It's a blem board from RV Palmer at Grizzly sports, but it's pretty nice. The bottom is perfect, but the top has some ripples in the glass. It's a 124.

The bindings are liquid force super suctions size M but they're pretty small especially around the ankle and heel area. My son did ride these bindings for a year until he outgrew them. They've been sitting on my daughter's board ever since.

If you're interested, I can send you some pics.

Almost forgot... the fins are byerly 2.0 fiberglass fins in perfect condition. I've seen some of these boards come with plastic fins, but this one came with the Byerly's.

(Message edited by jklein on July 09, 2004)
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       07-09-2004, 10:44 AM Reply   
Mango:

Sent you an email with pics.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
can you try resending? i think it might have been deleted by accident.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       07-09-2004, 12:01 PM Reply   
It bounced. Maybe the pics are too big. I'll break it up into smaller chunks.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 12:05 PM Reply   
save them as JPG and post them here
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       07-09-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
It keeps bouncing. Maybe I don't have the email correct or maybe you're account can't handle any attachments.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       07-09-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
OK but they're going to be not as good of quality because Dave only allows up to 100k per pic.

I have to run an errand, then I'll do it.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   
how many pics do you have?
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       07-09-2004, 1:27 PM Reply   
K

Attached are the pictures. I tried to take one where you could see the ripples, but they're not prominent enough to show up in the picture.

Anyway, I found a small nic on the heel side edge. One of the kids probably knocked the board over while on the houseboat or something. I took a picture of the nick. It's pretty small, about 1/8th of an inch or so wide.

I measured the length of the footbed and it's 10 inches from the far back of the heel to the center of the footbed at the front. However, you will never get your heel that far back in the binding, so I would remove an inch from that figure. It was 8 3/4 inches to where your toes would be showing. I would say if your childs feet are 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 inches long they will fit real nice for at least a couple of years. An inch smaller and they would fit ok, but maybe slightly loose around the top of the foot. I actually tightened them down around the ankle for my daughter when I first setup the board so they are on the smallest setting. The wrap around straps can be adjusted but it's a hassle.

pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
pic5
pic6

Pictures attached. If you want some others let me know.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
Kristen, What do you think of that?
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 1:47 PM Reply   
My little one just turned 6, but is pretty small. I got him the Hyperlite Motive 119 and it’s perfect for him. One kid that rides with us is 12 and he likes it over his larger board. Ours came with spin bindings, but I’m looking at buying a pair of Liquid Force Micro Speeds to fit him better. I think that would be a great set up that would last a long time.
Old    jentzekm            07-12-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
Thanks for sending the pics. They look good. Are you willing to sell? How much?
Old    jude_mural            07-13-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
mango
You can get an adjustable micro speed from LF which will give great stability and some room for growth. In canda you are able to pick up a 122 spark pakage or the nemisis series board which would work for you
Old    setdallas            07-13-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
Kristen, congrats on getting your 4 yr. old into it already - I have a 4 yr old that won't even get in the water yet! I do have a 5, 7, and 8 yr old that just learned to ride about 6 weeks ago and I took the cheap route and got them a Hydroslide Renegade package for just over $100.00 (new) because I knew they wouldn't need anything more than an entry level board for the first year or so and I figured this would be easy for them to pick up the basics on. Also, I visually compared the design and construction of this one with the CWB one that was next to it in the store and to me they were identical, from the overall board shape, bottom design, top construction, and even binding placement -- the only thing different was the bindings (I'm kinda wondering if the mfg. isn't the same as with the CWB).

It's working out fine, the bindings fit them great and they are making tremendous progress -- better than me! We'll probably upgrade their package next Spring but if you're not wanting to spend much now, maybe give this a try.

(Message edited by setdallas on July 13, 2004)
Old    setdallas            07-13-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
Ok, stupid question here ... where did the word "grom" come from? I'm just curious.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on what speed you should pull them at?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-13-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
It's short for grommet, but I don't know where grommet came from. I believe it's a surfing term that has been borrowed by other board sports.
Old     (riderx77)      Join Date: May 2001       07-14-2004, 5:59 AM Reply   
grommets are little fish in the ocean. surferes used it to describe little surfers. i.e. litl wakeboarders.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2004, 8:28 AM Reply   
take a look at this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47363&item=3687747 059&rd=1
Old    setdallas            07-14-2004, 8:31 AM Reply   
Mango, I got my kids' Renegade brand new, with bindings and all for just over $100.00 at Academy Sports ( http://www.academysports.com/ ) a little over a month ago.
Old    setdallas            07-14-2004, 8:32 AM Reply   
Thanks David and Kirk, the word makes more sense to me now!
Old    jentzekm            07-14-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
Not that it matters but the four year old is not mine. He is actually my boyfriends nephew. I also wanted to say thanks for all of your helpful information.
Old    r_dub            07-14-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
Hey Kristen and Kirk, I think I may have met you two before at a Japanese restaurant on Colerain Ave. I saw you guys pull up with a blue an white SAN, and we talked for a while. I remember you saying you were from Harrison, and I just noticed your profile said that. Was that you two?
Old    jentzekm            07-15-2004, 9:12 AM Reply   
RYAN, THAT WAS MOST LIKELY US. DID WE TALK ABOUT WHERE THEY RIDE?
Old    r_dub            07-15-2004, 10:26 AM Reply   
No kidding, that was you guys? Wow, small world, well at least small wakeboarding cummunity I guess.
I believe you two just got back from somewhere on the river, and you mentioned that you just tore up a prop or something. I actually ride out at Eastfork mostly. But I forget where you guy's said you ride, besides the river. We only chatted for a minute. I remember thinking you two looked like you were on a date, so I didnt want to bug you two much, plus my wife was waiting in the car. So where and when do you guys ride?
Old    shareejeremy            07-16-2004, 4:05 PM Reply   
Shawn,
I've been searching on that website for the renegade board to buy for my 6 year old. I can't seem to find it.
Did you buy the board online or at one of their stores?
Thanks
Old    setdallas            07-19-2004, 7:15 AM Reply   
Sharee,
I bought it in the store, I've seen it in three of the Dallas area locations. I'd bet that you could call them and they'd be able to send it to you even if they don't have it online. Alternatively, I think it's about $50 more if you get it from either Ski Limited (http://www.skilimited.com) or Overtons (http://www.overtons.com). Good luck!
Old    crash_and_burn            07-19-2004, 1:09 PM Reply   
Find something with the cheesy elastic band that wraps behind heel. YOUR KID WILL LOOSE ANY INTEREST HE OR SHE MAY HAVE IF U USE ANY BINDINGS CURRENTLY ON THE MARKET. When they fall they are sooo light the bindings usually plant them FACE down and they can't spin around. Trust me on this, it will save u many a breathless momentand make for a happier kid.. At 4 none of the stuff shown will help. Get the cheesey strap
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-20-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
West Marine has the Renagade board pretty cheap.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&classNum=12204&subdeptNum=360&st oreNum=23&productId=136009