Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    1dega            06-29-2004, 3:09 PM Reply   
Hi everyone I just wanted to give all of you a warning about buying on ebay. I thought I bought a new Parks 143 DNA wakeboard on ebay. The perp/seller name is Matt Soyka. He lives in Canada. After I won the item Matt said to send a certified check or money order, which I did promptly. This should have been a red flag to me because I always use pay pal, but Matt did not accept it. Then I was to receive the board with in 10 days of receipt of the money. After Matt received the money he said he needed to wait 10 days for it to clear. I know that was also untrue, I have never experienced that before. 15 more days went by and after many e-mails and calls he says he sent it. Well two more weeks go by, still no board. I e-mailed some more, he responds with a bunch of run around. Then Matt says to me that I received the board and was lying to him, what a joke. Its now three months later and I still have no board and I try to talk to Matt every day. All he does now is ignore me. I posted this for two reasons: first to let everyone know to be extra careful on ebay, and second not to ever buy anything from Matt Soyka. I believe there are many people that have been ripped off by this guy because at the time I won this item on ebay Matt must have had at least ten other boards, all for sale within minutes of each other. I would like to know if any one knows of this guy and might be able to help me out. The wakeboarding community is a small place and maybe someone can help me out. Hopefully, this prevents others from being ripped off too!
Old     (tallman)      Join Date: May 2004       06-29-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
Ya, that sucks mike! Too bad you didn't pay with a credit Card. I never buy anything on Ebay unless I use Pay Pal OR visa. IF you get ripped off the Credit card company will do everything it can to fix the problem and you don't have to deal with that kind of crap! Thanks for the warning about the seller I'll make sure I don't buy anything form that guy.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-29-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
Report him to E-Bay!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-29-2004, 3:36 PM Reply   
sorry to hear that. i've been fortunate enough to have only dealt with legitimate sellers, that have all been a pleasure doing business with.

file a report w/ ebay. can you post a link of the seller's id and such?
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       06-29-2004, 4:15 PM Reply   
It sucks that this happend to you, but just because a seller doesn't accept paypal, it doesn't make them a crook. I sold a few things on ebay last year but I would not accept paypal payments because you have to pay extra money in order to have a dealer's account.

Secondly, if you did pay with a check, it is very common to have the dealer hold the check for at least 10 days. This is to make sure that the check doesn't bounce and the dealer doesn't lose their money. However, if you paid with a money order, then he was definitely lying to you.

Anyway, good luck with getting your board. I would follow joe's advice and file a complaint with ebay.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-29-2004, 4:32 PM Reply   
It's a long shot, but ask him who he used to ship the board, and get a tracking number. It should be a simple issue to resolve whether you received said board or not if you track it through the hypothetical shipper. If he gives you a tracking number (real or fake) get an investigator involved from the shipping company.

I got defrauded on some damaged merchandise purchased on Ebay one time, and the guy involved UPS in shipping the merchandise. I had gotten nowhere with him, but then when I told the story to a UPS investigator, she took the case, contacted the perpetrator's employer, and got him to pay me a full refund (plus I got to keep the damaged board, which is now fixed). I could not believe that UPS went to all that work on my behalf, whereas I had gotten nowhere on my own after countless hours. There is a little more complexity to my story, but the gist is that you possibly could use the shipping angle to try and get some leverage on this dude.

It might be a long shot for you, but you never know...
I'm sorry that happened to you!
Also yes, Ebay has a formal dispute resolution process, but I am not sure what authority they have to go after somebody. Anyway, you should follow a report to let Ebay know about this dude.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-29-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
This will come back to him. I heard of guy who was ripped off on Ebay - and the he paid the guy a visit in person (traveled across country). I don't know if he made a special trip or was there for another reason - needless to say he got his money back (without violence - the guy was so freaked that he immediately ponied up). In this day and age, you never know what kind of psycho you are going to rip off.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-29-2004, 5:42 PM Reply   
ive bought stuff from canada. It takes a long time to recieve. Customs takes forever.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-29-2004, 7:28 PM Reply   
I know exactly who you are talking about. I don't actually know him, but I emailed him for some prices on stuff and his prices were unreal. Like $200 for brand new Parks bindings including shipping. He also gave me unreal quotes on some CWB stuff. When I saw his prices and then found out he didn't except paypal, I knew it was a scam. I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. You do have to be careful sometimes when you buy stuff online. I wish I had a way to contact him for you, but I don't. Just thought I would share my experience with this guy also. Stay away from buying stuff from him!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-29-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
It sucks to learn a lesson the hard way, but on any purchase over 50 bucks, you should NEVER have them ship you anything without a tracking number. A tracking number is really the only proof the item was sent, sent to the correct address and that you actually were the one who received the product. With the tracking number it strenghtens your case with ebay, paypal etc.
Old    essy            06-30-2004, 2:13 AM Reply   
sorry to hear the mishap. definitely file a complaint with ebay - http://www.ebay.com/help/contact_inline/index.html
they have a live help center which may be able to help you out quickly.
good luck.}
Old    1dega            06-30-2004, 6:15 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback.I did report this to ebay and the FBI internet task force, also the O.P.P. I reported it to everyone I could think of. I dont want this guy to defraud any more people.I think the problem is all these internet task force's have so many reports of theft they cant keep up.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-30-2004, 6:28 AM Reply   
mike - can you link us to what you won?
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-30-2004, 6:44 AM Reply   
Mike, where in Ontario is this guy from? Maybe I can help ya out a bit...
Old    303            06-30-2004, 6:48 AM Reply   
Bummer that people like Matt Soyka have to ruin things by being greedy. I just want to echo what every one else is saying: report this to ebay. In addition, I just want to point out that Paypal is definitely not a fool-proof safety net when making online purchases. I have not personally had any problems using paypal/ebay, but I do know a couple people that have been ripped off. Check out the website http://www.paypalsucks.com/. After reading a few of these horror stories, you may think twice about calling Paypal safe.

Good luck getting your money back. Regardless, that dude Matt Soyka will get what's coming to him...Karma is a bish.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-30-2004, 7:08 AM Reply   
Matt,
Get a copy of the check from your bank. It should have his information on it, ie bank, acct #. Call the police in Canada and make them aware of the situation. IT might be worth a trip to Where ever he lives just to see the look on his face when you show up. Court would be the other option.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-30-2004, 7:24 AM Reply   
Also, I usually check the feedback ratings and see how many items they have sold. Did he have a good rating? Give us as much information as you have on him including his ebay id so we can put him behind bars with Martha Stewart.

SOYKA IF YOU ARE OUT THERE YOU WILL BE FOUND, SO EITHER GIVE MIKE HIS MONEY BACK, SEND THE PARKS BOARD OR PAY THE PRICE EH! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS THE BORDER INTO THE U.S.A!
Old    skippy            06-30-2004, 7:29 AM Reply   
I'll ditto the paypal stance. SUCKS. I had a friend who used a credit card to fund his paypal account to bay for something he won on Ebay. Same thing happened. The seller did not post the item (some cr@ppy trading card worth $300) the credit card co could not help as all they had sucessfully paid paypay. Paypay pretty much did sweet FA. as the same went for ebay.

Personally I'll only buy from people who have a good feedback score, then again I often see people selling loads of items for $5000 (e.g stereo's) when they usually only sell $5 items. Beware, there is a market for stolen eBay ID's...

as for Mr Soyka, lets hope what goes aroung comes around.
Old    1dega            06-30-2004, 7:47 AM Reply   
Thank you all so much for your care and concern. I have been all over the country wakeboarding and have met so many great people.I truly believe somewhere along the way I will find this guy Matt Soyka.I do know he lives at 34 Spruceside Fonthill, Ontario. I have no idea where Fonthill is.I paid $390.00 U.S. Dollars for the board which I thought was a good deal. Then I did the square deal thing to try and resolve this. Matt said he would work with them. So I paid $20.00 for that and he never responded to them either. Waste of another $20.00 bucks. The ebay item number was 3666542162 if that helps.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-30-2004, 8:24 AM Reply   
We'll his feedback is 100% but only has 12 Items. Maybe it's just taking a little longer than usual cause its coming from canada?

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws1/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=msoyka&iid=36665 42162&frm=284
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-30-2004, 8:24 AM Reply   
Mike, check your email.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-30-2004, 8:26 AM Reply   
Mango,
Did you notice that all those feedbacks were from sellers, not buyers. It looks like he never had any feedback from someone that actually bought something from him.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-30-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
yeah sorry i just realized that. he has never sold anything before.
Old    hockeyruss            06-30-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
Leave him some bad feedback!!! Looking at this seller he has 12 positive feedbacks over the last 12 months and no negative feedback.
Old    1dega            06-30-2004, 8:40 AM Reply   
I noticed that he had no selling feedback.Although he had at least ten boards up for sale that day. I thought he was starting up a new company or something. I guess I am to trusting.I do have his email if it helps soyka69@hotmail.com.
Old    1dega            06-30-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   
He has been suspended from ebay I cant leave any feedback now.
Old    bambamski            06-30-2004, 8:43 AM Reply   
When did you buy the gear? Was it in around the end of March? I was looking at buying some Parks boots which were really cheap.

A couple of things tipped me off on him. Pay pal, he wouldn't use it and he said it was taking paypal a month to set him up (BS). Wouldn't send anything COD. Only had user feedback from things he bought never anything sold. Also didn't have a digital camera, and couldn't give details of anything.

That sucks! Sometimes if it's too good to be true it probalby is.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-30-2004, 9:01 AM Reply   
That's exactly what he told me. He said that he didn't have paypal and he said it would take him at least a month to set it up. . .I think it took me about 5 minutes to set up my paypal account.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-30-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
Mike,
Any junk mail you get from now on you should fill out with his info on. Phone number, everything. you might be able to get his birth date off of www.anybirthday.com I noticed there is one Mathew Soyka on it. If you can't get your money back at least you could some what kill two birds with one stone.
Old    matt_karl            06-30-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
Mike, just an idea but you may want to go back and look at the other items he had for sale, It will show who won the auctions. Try to email those people and see what their results were. This won't solve your problem, but at least you can see if he is lying to you or not about shipping, depending upon if anyone else received merchandise.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-30-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
Member Profile: msoyka (12)

No longer a registered user
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-30-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
whatever happened to anything fraudulent using US mail could be considered mail fraud?? Another avenue to get to this guy. HTH!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-30-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
i believe the law only applies if it was sent thru the u.s. post office.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-30-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
Hi Joe, missed you at the Canyon Comp! Wasn't the original cashiers check/money order sent through the US post office albeit to Canada, but primarily the US. just my two cents (what would that be in canada? like a nickle??)
Old    sbvfive            06-30-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
Hey, if it makes you feel any better Joe Umali knows a place where you can get a really good deal on a D-Up Nelson / BS Blade. Email him and he will tall you the secret!! HAHA, sorry Joe, I had to do it....
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       06-30-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
Hey Mike...if you are still interested in a Parks board, I have one for sale (used but in great shape) with a pair of X-large Temet bindings. I can let you have both for $500 even. The board has been used twice, the bindings 6-7 times. Let me know before I post them on E-bay. I will give you first crack at them.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-30-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3666542162

I don't like how he said...

No returns, I accept money orders or well concealed cash.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-30-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
We should start up a Thread on bad ebay sellers so we can protect eachother from events like this.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-30-2004, 1:40 PM Reply   
scott, haha!!! but, actually, it's not a secret...i'm just not allowed to tell everyone here 'cause it's considered advertising, and i might get banned (again).
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-30-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
Mango, of course you can't return it. He's not going to send it to you.

I bought a new pair of $350 Byerly Boots w/ the Boa wraps from "wakegirl40" for $190 shipped. Wakegirl40 is a regular seller with a long history. IIRC, I could even use my Mastercard (instead of Paypal), which offers real protection against fraud.

Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-30-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
that reminds me...........i have bought some stuff(2 vests, 2boards, and bindings) from wakegirl40 (aka Bellingham Board Sports) and have be really satisified. Not too long ago, I ordered what I thought was 2 new boards. The description said new. One ended up being a demo and the other was fine. I paid the new price and got a demo.

I called Gator and told them about it and they took care of me. I think I wasnt the 1st person to get a bunk board from wakegirl40. The person at Gator lead me to believe this had be done before.

That company is about to be under new management from what I hear.
Old    1dega            06-30-2004, 3:28 PM Reply   
My goal was to inform all of you about Matt Soyka. He is bad news and I hope none of you get ripped off. I did file complaints everywhere and no one seems to do anything. I cant even get ebay to pay me the $200.00 ebay protection money. I filled out the forms gave them a copy of the money order and they still do nothing.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       06-30-2004, 4:39 PM Reply   
Mike
As a "sometimes" buyer and seller on Ebay I hate to hear these stories. But it seems to me that EBay is the best bet at this point. More specifically: I would want the emails of anyone who did a buy/ or sell transaction with him. If they won't give that out, I would hope they would at least forward an email for you. Then get all the info you can as to where stuff was shipped (to and from).
Then I'd find every wakeboard website I could (in Canada) and every board shop in his region and I would hammer that for awhile. Sooner or later you'll find someone near him. Then I'd file a police report with the local cops in that area (even if it won't do anything).
Back 30 years ago, my wife was rear-ended by a guy in the service. He cried he didn't have insurance and he would pay me. I believed him and for a while he did. Then he stopped. But I didn't. It took me two years of letters and phone calls (first to his commanding officer) and finally - after he got out of the service - to his father (yes, his father - and he was in his late 20's or 30's) -It was not easy to keep track of him as he moved around 4 states - but eventually I got paid.
So, don't give up.
Lloyd
Old     (njladydriver)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-30-2004, 5:14 PM Reply   
I'm quite shocked there's no help coming from EBay on this. Maybe it just takes time. Too bad you couldn't start a tread called "Looking for all Canada Riders". Ask if any live or know of the address you have on him. Get the word out you're looking for him and have notified the authorities. If you have an address on him, can't you file a complaint in Canada? Don't really know of the law in cases like this since it's across the border.
Old    pondking            06-30-2004, 5:46 PM Reply   
It's unlikely that his address is legit but here is a map to his front door...Good luck
http://ca.maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=PB0j0.p_0TqQ3dDNy.nwZKlKauUOFA--&csz=Fonthill%2C+Ontario&country=ca&new=1&name=&qt y=
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-30-2004, 6:40 PM Reply   
I am sorry to hear about your problem with this seller. "Most" e-bay sellers are honest, but a few really spoil it for the rest. I just used the "ask seller a question" link on the auction page and sent him a link to this thread. Maybe he'll look, and make good on the sale, or refund your money...maybe not, but it probably won't hurt.
Good luck
Old     (soonerboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-30-2004, 7:15 PM Reply   
I can be taken care of. A guy here in Norman was just arrested for frauding people on eBay. It was all over the news. Don't know how they handle it in Canada. Apparantly, there isn't any crime there, according to Michael Moore. (Ok, I didn't really say that...)
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-30-2004, 7:56 PM Reply   
Ebay provides fraud coverage up to $200.00, less a $50 deductible. You need to contact ebay immediately or time will run out on it quick.

Next, if you know the name of where he lives, contact the local police and explain your story.

Save all the emails he ever sent you and try to contact him again asking where the tracking #. Be firm, but dont lose your cool, because these emails can be used to try to get your money back.

Lastly, search the internet, you are defintely not the first person to get scammed, many people have websites dedicated to this problem and you can gain good insight.

Also to reiterate, paypal is not 100% safe, it can be easily manipulated by the wrong person.
Old     (33drew)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-30-2004, 9:45 PM Reply   
Go Greenpinky! kick his a$$ seabass!
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2004, 4:15 AM Reply   
I have done a lot of buying and selling on ebay and here are a couple things I've learned to beware of when buying...
On large ticket items never bid if the seller has little or no feedback from selling other large ticket items. It's easy for a scammer to run up feedback numbers on items sold for cheap, get bidders to think he has a good track record then put a bunch of high ticket items up for bid at once, take the money and split.
No picture or a picture taken from a web site means he probably doesnt have the product. If you were going into business selling on ebay, wouldnt you at least have a digital camera?
If this guy had 10 boards up for auction he probably took the money ($3000+) and ran...
Hope I'm wrong.

Old     (offdapeggs)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2004, 6:01 AM Reply   
I am impressed with all of the help everyone has given him.
its a good community forum out there.

Happy fourth, and I bet womething will get resolved.
Old    1dega            07-01-2004, 6:09 AM Reply   
Thanks again. I am going to try to contact the local police in his town. I did fill out a online complaint with the O.P.P. Although I have not heard back from them. Thanks for all the great ideas.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-01-2004, 7:28 AM Reply   
Another tip - I sell on E-bay occasionally. I also have an E-bay store and an internet store. If a seller has an E-bay store, they have to go through a lot more and provide more assurance to E-bay. I can still be scammed, but most scam artists don't want to leave that kind of trail.

So, if looking to buy legit equipment, check to see if the seller has more than one outlet. Us legit guys are in it for the long haul and don't leave a nasty wake of burned buyers.

www.boarditup.com
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-08-2004, 12:12 PM Reply   
I got scammed by this piece of garbage too. Got linked to this thread. Ill carpool with you Mike, where are you from. Im out $254 for a pair of 04 Byerly bindings.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/177910.html?1089313301
Old    r_dub            07-08-2004, 1:09 PM Reply   
Damn, you guys are starting up a posse.
Good luck!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-08-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
BUST EM UP WITH THE PARKS BOARD & HANG HIM BY THE BALLS WITH THE BYERLY BINDINGS!
Old    1dega            07-08-2004, 3:02 PM Reply   
Hi everyone I was able to get in touch with the Niagara Regional Police. I have been speaking to a detective there Ray Stankis. His phone number is 905-735-7811 ext.3312. I would recommend to all of you that have been defrauded by Matt Soyka call this detective right away. E-mail me with your results and lets work together. The detective did go and see Matt Soyka on my behalf on 07/07/04 and is working hard on the case. I hope he can help get my money back and yours too. I was contacted by a person who lives Austrailia who was taken by this schister for two wake boards and two bindings to the tune of $1500!
Old    nik_the_new_guy            07-08-2004, 3:54 PM Reply   
I am going to ontario in a couple weeks on business, and would love to stop by this guys house and squeeze him a little for your money(or board) i already sent him an email(waiting, but not expecting a response). I printed a copy of the map and just might swing by in a couple of weeks. i hope this guy burns in hell. people need to learn that you cant go around and rip other people off.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 6:55 AM Reply   
holy crap this story keeps getting better! I can't wait to see the results of Matt Soyka, we need a pic of him after you pay him a visit. He is going to be real sorry that he scammed a wakeboarder. This just goes to show you not to US or we will hunt you down...so if you are out there scamming you better cut the we will GET YOU!
Old    brad_embleton            07-09-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
Hi Mike

I am new to wakeworld I usally stay on wakeboarder.com I saw your story about your board. The same thing happened to me at Christmas time for a board I bought for my girlfriend, and got ripped off so I know how you feel.

I live in Niagara Falls ON which is about 15 mins to Fonthill, I am pretty well known as a wakeboarder around the area and have good connections with most riders and shops around here, so let me do some leg work for you on this assh()le and find out who it is. I will let the whole Niagara wakeboard community know about him!!!!!!!

Brad
Old    brad_embleton            07-09-2004, 7:37 AM Reply   
Mike

Please dont think all Canadians are like this!
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-09-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
Hey Brad, Id appreciate anything you can find out on this guy. Ive got a call into the same detective that Mike Dega has called.

This guy is the first Canadian Ive had a problem with, it sucks when one retard brings down your people. We plan to rid your community of at least one retard :-)
Old    1dega            07-09-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
Hi everyone! All of you have helped me so much thank you. Brad thanks for looking into this for me. let all of your local riders know about this guy. And I do like Canadians and your beer. I will continue to give updates since I have had contact with Matt and the police.

Thanks Mike
Old    brad_embleton            07-09-2004, 9:55 AM Reply   
I will keep you guys posted as well