Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-22-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
Quick question, since I felt like a tard' the other weekend complaining about this to my wife. If you order an $89 rope (and handle on top of that mind you) from a company, would you expect that it comes with a nice velco strap so that when you pull it in, its all set?

It just seemed kinda rediculous to me, and it seems like a great item for a company to ship out with a rope with their logo on it from a marketing standpoint. I started thinking....I have a $7.99 coleman dock line that came with a VERY nice strap from wal-mart, and a buddy of mine bought a lime green AIRHEAD line for us last year that came with a nice one. LOL My new rope is now sporting a Coleman strap on it! LOL

To top it off, me being a bit pissy about it, I sent the company an email because I have seen some of their lines with one....and I got no response. I'm seriously going to consider this when I buy my next rope...I just wish they realized that.

Maybe I'm too anal, too organized and my expectations are too high? Maybe you guys are using something different? Let me know!

sorry for the rant.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-22-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
just tie a loop around the rolled up line & handle with the last extension of the rope. So when youre ready to ride next time, you un loop that extension and hook it on your tower. Done.
Having the velcro piece is nice I huess, but just another item to have/loose/use etc....
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-23-2010, 5:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
just tie a loop around the rolled up line & handle with the last extension of the rope. So when youre ready to ride next time, you un loop that extension and hook it on your tower. Done.
Having the velcro piece is nice I huess, but just another item to have/loose/use etc....
I use this method as well. The I put the handle through my vest like a hanger. Makes it easy to carry all my equipment, or to hang to vest up to dry.
Attached Images

Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-22-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
Yeah, I always just leave a small length of the rope to wrap up my rope. Leaves nothing to lose and I have been doing this for many years. I like to then loop it over the tower to dry out when heading back for the day. I would never use the velcro even if my line came with it.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-22-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
I guess I just suck at tieing things the right way and making knots....so I have always used the velcro I guess. Good call though. Sounds like I need to man up and just learn to tie it the right way.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-22-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
Yah I used to have a velcro strap and ditched it because I was sick of trying to locate it in the boat at the end of the day. Now I just coil up the rope and loop it around the handle. Once I have 4-5 loops around the handle I reverse the loop, pulling the end back through creating a cinch type knot. This keeps everything together and tight. My description probably makes no sense unless you actually see it. Maybe one of these days I will video tape it as an instructional.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       04-22-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
Go over to the Isle at home deport where they sell extension cords. The sell an extension cord holder for less then $2. I've the same ones for 10 years now and they work great. This is the exact one I use (cheaper at Home depot though):
http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...ign=googlebase

Last edited by tre; 04-22-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
Mine have always come with a velcro strap that allows you to wrap the rope as well as wrap it to the tower.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-22-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
For $90.00 you would think they could throw in a velcro strap that would cost them .25.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-22-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
Charles S give me your ship to info and I will send you one for free. I have 3 extra ones. How does that sound?
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-22-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
I bought a new line last summer and thought the same thing. The cheap Ebay line came with a nice neat velcro binder, the high dollar new rope, nothin! LOL Just an observation, I tie my rope up now liek the other guys have recommended.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-22-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
Yeah I always toss those things. Just dont have a use for them. Maybe the manufacturers of high end ropes dont want to offend the manliness of their customers by insinuating they cant tie manly knots?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-22-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
Mine has a small velcro strap that attaches to the tower so it is always there. Can't get any easier than that.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-22-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
Manly knots....sure. Sometimes I put a little bit of responsibility of others on my boat to pull the rope in. This could include my wife, or various other newbies too and unfortunately having the little velcro strap on the tower for them to use is just a lot easier. lol. I gotcha though! ITs been actually pretty interesting to see what everyone's doing. When your on your own boat or few other boats, you just kinda stick with what you know I guess.
Old     (okcwakebrdr)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-22-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
I like the velcro straps but i stopped using them years ago. Like someone said earlier, just use the last extension tie a square not with your rope and handle all in a bundle then you can pull the extension thru the top of your life vest and use the handle like a coat hanger, with the extension section as a nice hanger to put where ever you like...... Thats what i do....
Old     (JohnnyDefacto)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-22-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
http://www.apparent-wind.com/knots/clove-hitch/

a quick google search popped up a few bad descriptions, but this one will do..

I use the last foot or so of the rope and tie this around the handle to secure the loops and handle together. This clove-hitch is good because it is tast and easy to tie, fast and easy to undo, and it does not put any tight bends or kinks in your $100 coated line that over time can damage the rope.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-22-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
Velcro sucks..just do what Steve or Johnny suggest. Then you'll never misplace your strap or lose it. I sure wish I could find the video that shows how to wind up a rope.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-22-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
I use a cheap orange plastic extension cord keeper.
Old     (younguns44)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-22-2010, 6:49 PM Reply   
yeah for 90 bucks a velcro strap and customer service should be included