Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-23-2011, 1:13 PM Reply   
i am looking to get an awesome prop to slam this boat with as much weight as possible
stock ballast plus 3 to 4 750s

the boat can plane with 2 750s and a 400 but struggles alot with the stock prop

engine:
320 HP V8 EFI Indmar

direct drive

i dont know anything about props so please help me out

not very concerned about top speed
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-23-2011, 5:43 PM Reply   
You're going to struggle wiht the hole shot at that with 320 hp. 3000lbs of ballast plus people is a lot. Try a high altitude prop like the 1325
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-23-2011, 8:06 PM Reply   
Instead of guessing ask the experts, call Acme and OJ and ask them.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-23-2011, 9:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzman View Post
Instead of guessing ask the experts, call Acme and OJ and ask them.
closed till jan 2 this is a christmas present from my pops it either happens now or never thats just how he is
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-23-2011, 10:12 PM Reply   
OJ Fusion 529 or ACME 1235, I have used both and they are great... will be a huge improvement over your stock prop. You will loose some top end speed...
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       12-24-2011, 9:16 AM Reply   
Checkout www.wakeprops.com. I think it is the same guys that run wakemakers.com. They have a prop finder tool on the site that might be able to help you find what you are looking for.
Old     (French)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-26-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
I'd look at the Acme 913-13.00X10.50 .080 cup. I got one for Christmas for my DD Moomba and can hardly wait to try it out! ACME recommended this one as a wakeboard specific prop w/ lots of extra ballast...they said I should lose 4-5mph from top end which should be ok.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-26-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
I am very happy with my 5 blade TZ-X5. I have the 330 hp LTR in my boat and regularly run ~2400 lbs plus 6 people and have no problem with power.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-26-2011, 8:28 AM Reply   
Aside from French you guys are all recommending vdrive props for a direct drive...
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-26-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
I have an OJ 14.25x14.5 on my mobius lsv and it is great with 3000 pounds. That's about the most i've ever put in the boat but it got on plane no problem and I have the 325 hp motor. Check out nettleprops.com they're in austin texas.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-27-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
I can confirm the Acme 913-13.00X10.50VL3B 1.00 .080 cup three blade nibral propeller.

I have a '01 21' Launch DD, and run just under 3k. I was not able to get out of the hole before this prop, with that kind of weight. I lost nothing on the top end either.

Your results might be a bit different, i'm carbureted so i have a bit more low end torque.

Last edited by kamighazi; 12-27-2011 at 9:55 AM. Reason: grammer
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-27-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
My prop was suggested by Bill Weeks of Acme, after i asked the same question.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-28-2011, 7:02 AM Reply   
I have no expertise in props but dang that S10 must love its job! I can hear it saying... I think I can I think I can I think I can when heading up hills with that supra in tow
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-03-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
acme also suggested me the Acme 913 Propeller 3 Blade 13 X 10.5 LH 1" Bore .80 Cup, but i dont understand why they would suggest a 3 blade... i know theres gear reduction and whatnot in a v drive, but the boat came stock with a 4? im still questioning on what to get
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-03-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
and maybe i will settle for less weight im just trying to shoot high
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-03-2012, 8:27 AM Reply   
There are a lot of dynamics involved in prop's interaction with the water. As you increase the blade count, you dramatically increase the amount of drag that the prop generates. Adding blades does not equal greater performance - especially in an inboard application. A 3-blade prop may actually be more efficient than the stock 4-blade. That is especially true as the rpms increase.

In general, most V-drives with reduction gearing can swing the 4-blade with success. A few V-drive designs, including most Sangar designs, benefit from the 3-blade. I've used s 3-blade on my X-2 with good success. Currently, I have a 4-blade that is suited for surfing. I would not hesitate to use a 3-blade if I wanted to also get some more top end.

I sell props as a side business. My lake is sometimes used as a test lake for prop testing - so I get a bit more information than most. That said, propping a boat is a bit of a subjective art. You can measure speed with the radar gun, but the boat owner typically relies on how the prop feels to them - very subjective. As a 30-year wakeboarder, I still struggle to communicate it well sometimes.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-03-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
the boat came with a 4 blade less because of a wakeboarders needs, and more because thats what supra thought was a good all around prop, as well probably the same prop they put on v-drives (volume discounts). 3 blades are great for Direct Drive

When i bought mine, Bill told me if i didnt like it just send it back for a full refund.

That prop rocks the house. I love that boats wake when we're slammed. The way i've seen you ride, i wouldnt have thought there would be hesitation in dialing in that boats wake.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-03-2012, 6:52 PM Reply   
alright so il get the 3 blade prop posted above and see how it feels...

and yea my boat isnt dialed in at all, i just kind of run it stock. big wake, small wake whatever i just love to ride, but i need some more progression and i figured a prop and sacs would be pretty helpful.

thanks guys for the info il tell you how it goes
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-19-2012, 6:43 PM Reply   
so i got my first ride today with the acme 913 propeller 3 Blade 13 X 10.5 LH 1" Bore .80 Cup.

this prop made a huge difference from the stock oj 13 x13 4 blade

the second i got off the trailer i could tell the difference! ton of low end power!

i had the stock rear ballast which is 500 lbs the front ballast was upgraded to the gravity games ballast bag which is a tad big for my boat so it fills to about 1000lbs then added a 400 to each side of the motor, and a 750 between the windows, we planed out decently, but i wouldnt say great because thats 3050lbs on a 320 hp motor. there were also 3 people in the boat plus a rider

the wake was very solid and hard with all the front weight, i was very pleased

i may drain a few lbs from the stock next time for a faster plane out time.

all in all this prop helped sooooo much
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-20-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
Yeah buddy. its crazy how much of a difference it makes.

Here's my setup from back to front:
Poured concrete in the 4 voids under the gas tanks 160#
Ski locker sack 400#
Rear tank 500#
This wedged vertical btw the rear seat and the motor box 580#
This in the walk through btw the widow 750#
And tow of these in the front double barrel style 800#

thats just shy of 3200# we can plan pretty well (takes a bit of time), and its wake-a-rific. I went with that set up so we still have room to walk from front to back without walking all over bags and crap. Also i took off my wake plate completely, mine was fixed. I want to get an electric one and tie it in with PP
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-20-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamighazi View Post
Yeah buddy. its crazy how much of a difference it makes.

Here's my setup from back to front:
Poured concrete in the 4 voids under the gas tanks 160#
Ski locker sack 400#
Rear tank 500#
This wedged vertical btw the rear seat and the motor box 580#
This in the walk through btw the widow 750#
And tow of these in the front double barrel style 800#

thats just shy of 3200# we can plan pretty well (takes a bit of time), and its wake-a-rific. I went with that set up so we still have room to walk from front to back without walking all over bags and crap. Also i took off my wake plate completely, mine was fixed. I want to get an electric one and tie it in with PP
nice dude!

yea an electronic wake plate and a PP are must haves! push the plate all the way down for easier planing and pull it up a bit for a beefier wake i love it! and theres also nothin wrong with relaxing and not having to try and hold a perfect speed the whole time your driving
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-20-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
Consider a drag-boat. they are built for hole shot specifically. They have 2 blades and are only about as big as you hand.

I am always interested in these threads and also what props people run.

Personally, I have a new hull malibu VLX with a 350 Indmar. I run, the floating wedge, 1250 stock, plus about 1500 additional. To select my prop I discussed with ACME and also idmar. I run the Acme "High Altitude" prop (14.5 x 14.25), but I had the prop reworked to 14.50 x 13.25.

I never break 4000 rpms on pick-up (takes about 9 seconds) and cruise 24mph at about 3,700 rpms with full rider and weight.