Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-09-2014, 1:28 PM Reply   
OK, I know there is a How-To write up on this, somewhere, anyone have a link to one? I know most of the how to, but some sort cuts would be nice to know
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-09-2014, 1:45 PM Reply   
I just did this 2 weeks ago. I duct taped the new cable to the old cable and threaded them through, back to front. Took about 2.5 hours. If I was doing it again, I'd duct tape the old cable to a rope, pull everything through, and then tape the new cable to the rope and thread it through. The rod on the rudder end of the old cable made pulling everything through much more difficult. It kept getting hung up. Also, I'd have another guy help me - the job would've been much easier and quicker if one guy was pushing and one guy was pulling. I must have walked back and forth about 50 times. And, I'd wear gloves. I was covered in grease and oily bilge stuff by the time I was done. Just FYI, when you're back at the rudder, take the opportunity to grease it and the pivot thing that holds the steering cable. I didn't even know the things had grease fittings before, and it makes a huge difference.
Old     (riderx77)      Join Date: May 2001       07-10-2014, 1:14 PM Reply   
When I did this on my 1999 SAN, I pulled the center floor, required some seat removal, and it was open and easy at this point. The only threading I had to do was behind the dash.
Old     (peeps)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-06-2014, 11:02 AM Reply   
I took an angle grinder and cut the cable off the worm drive that is bolted on the steering wheel. Then I slipped a hose over the cut cable and put the rudder end of the new cable in the other end of the hose and duct taped the two together. After that i pulled the new cable through using the old cable as a guide. It went right through with NO problems and was much easier than trying to pull that worm drive through the bottom of your boat. When i had the old one out i cut it up and could see the lubricant had hardened, I think it was a manufactures defect. Calling around most places wanted a grand to replace so i saved and learned something to. peeps