Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-19-2004, 12:38 PM Reply   
whenever i use the magic bullet's misfire plug-in and i try to render, premiere pro freezes up, then closes. is my laptop too slow? (specs are below)
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-20-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
yes....laptops just aren't mage for rendering
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-20-2004, 11:53 AM Reply   
do you have mozilla?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-20-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
rich, even with a 2.8ghz processor?
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-20-2004, 12:09 PM Reply   
it seriously sounds like you dont have enough ram. rendering is a ram-whore. i dont know about premiere, but alot of NLE programs call for atleast 1 gig of ram minimum.

does your computer have(support) hyper-threading?

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-20-2004, 12:14 PM Reply   

quote:

does your computer have(support) hyper-threading?

yes.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-20-2004, 12:22 PM Reply   
my friend has an alienware like note book like mine running Vegas and it would look up during intense rendering sessions. the tech at sony told him to disable hyperthreading and it got rid of his problems. that could be a potential fix.

also, my notebook (running Avid Xpress pro) will lock up it i have less than 11 gigs of space left.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-20-2004, 12:22 PM Reply   
http://www.lafcpug.org/tutorials/basic_magic_bullet.html
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-20-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   

quote:

also, my notebook (running Avid Xpress pro) will lock up it i have less than 11 gigs of space left.

i've got 51gb left in the laptop drive, and 30gb on my external.

thanks for the help.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-20-2004, 12:50 PM Reply   
Also, look into the transfer rate between the HD and board.....Ram speed etc.

Your laptop has 4200RPM HD's, you may have a fast processor but the infrstuture of the computer sucks. Also, transfering to a external drive is even slower.

Just a thought.

(Message edited by rson on December 20, 2004)
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-20-2004, 4:54 PM Reply   
Transfering to an external hard drive is not slower than a 4200 rpm HD. Not by far.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-20-2004, 10:59 PM Reply   
Jeremy,

The Toshiba 4300 rpm laptop drives have an 800 Mbps transfer rate.

USB2 is 480 Mbps.
Firewire is 400 Mbps.

Joe,

Computers should never actually freeze because they are too slow (they should just run slower). If it's not actually freezing but slowing to a crawl, memory may be an issue. Since it sounds like the whole program is actually crashing, there's probably a program error in the plug-in (like a deadlock or race condition). I'd try turning off the hyperthreading, as toolfan has suggested. You might also want to check for updates to Premiere and the plug-in. They may have fixed the issue.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-21-2004, 5:48 AM Reply   
NO. The transfer rate of the cable connecting the Hard drive to the motherboard makes no difference. Neither Hard drive can output faster than either cable. So the theoretical transfer rate of an IDE cable (which is how his internal drive is hooked up) and USB or Firewire doesn't matter. In that case the fastest HD would win.
I forgot the smiley face.

(Message edited by shutupandboard on December 21, 2004)
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-22-2004, 3:35 PM Reply   
I don't know, man. Toshiba says that the drives transfer at 100 MB/s so I thinking the IDE interface is the bottleneck. If that's the case, either external interface would be an even greater bottleneck.

On a side note, the greater the data density, the higher the transfer rate will be at a given rpm. If I am right about the IDE interface being the bottleneck, then increasing the speed of these laptop hard drives will only bring your seek time down a bit. In other words, 4200 rpm might not be so bad for a modern laptop drive. It's almost certainly faster than a 5200 rpm desktop drive from a few years ago.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-23-2004, 5:02 AM Reply   
Actually the IDE interface is definitely not the bottle neck. If that were the case than the Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM hard drives wouldn't be any faster. But they are. I have one and have noticed the difference. It's commonly known that hard drives are the bottle neck.

You should check out http://www.sharkyforums.com/ You would probably really like it. There's TONS of info on there. It's the WakeWorld of computers!
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-23-2004, 5:07 AM Reply   
Here's a couple of threads on Sharkys that are about transfer rates and hard drives.
http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?s=c10fc91a1b5f144071bfc6f2d1965b4a& threadid=240908&highlight=transfer+rate

http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?s=c10fc91a1b5f144071bfc6f2d1965b4a& threadid=236783&highlight=transfer+rate
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-23-2004, 5:27 AM Reply   
"It may "appear" as if SATA is faster than IDE ATA looking at specs, seeing as ATA caps out at 133MB/s as opposed to SATA's 150MB/s. These numbers are, for the most part, irrelevant unless working in RAID arrays. Even the fastest HDDs on the market today struggle to reach transfer speeds of 75MB/s. Even the Western Digital 10,000 RPM SATA Raptor can only reach read/write speeds of about 65MB/s."
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-23-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
I actually know how all this stuff works (down to the atomic level even). I just don't really keep up-to-date on the current numbers. I was quoting Toshiba's specs which now appear to be misleading( perhaps their stated transfer rates are only from the cache). I searched around more and found some independent data that backs up your statements. It looks like there are actually no drives out there that are are limited even by the ATA-100 interface.

You're wrong about me liking those forums though. A bunch of geeks passionately arguing about motherboards and stuff? No, thanks! I hate computer technology; I just create it for a living... Reading benchmark numbers is like watching paint dry.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-23-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
The actual number I found for for a Toshiba 4200rpm drive was 230 Mbps read transfer rate so that's not even up to the capabilities of ATA-33. OK, Joe. Your hard drive sucks. It still shouldn't crash your plug-in though.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-23-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
The thing is. When you paint something say...red. When it starts out it's pretty dark. More of a maroon color. As it dries some spots dry faster and slowly turn red, while other spots stay darker for a longer period of time. SO, it's not really fair to compare benchmarking to such an exciting activity such as watching paint dry.