Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-07-2009, 7:08 AM Reply   
iu agree 40k plus for the loaded version ,44k as shown on the ad,is way out of Price point range..nice try but i totally agree that maybe 32k loaded with basic options would be price point now a days..

I also rtaher pick up a 5 yr old big three wake boat for 38k and and have a nicer boat..

just an opinion but hey what do i know im still ripping my 2000 Supra Launch direct drive loaded with 2500lbs of water and no PP :-)

I love my wake so im not traded anytime soon for these 60k boats ,yes not even an affordable price point 44k! :-)
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-08-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv-OYr6bBf0
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-08-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
he is no Zane as far as selling things go.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-08-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
ya maybe, but he also doesn't have as many years in the boat rep biz. well just have to see where things go.
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-08-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
haha, i dont know about yall, but that was quite possibly the worst add for a boat.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-08-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
Unless you understand it.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-08-2009, 9:54 PM Reply   
Where does price point fit into these points in the article?

"Harris has learned over his 11-year professional career that some boat features look better in a catalog than they function on the lake. That realization leaves him unimpressed by empty features found in so many other price-point wakeboard boats."

"There's not as many frills or creature features, but I pretty much break and destroy all that stuff anyway,"

I think that 20" wheels and LED lights throughout are creature comforts and frills.

If Malibu wants to make a price point boat, come talk to those of us in the price point category. Give me a basic hull in the 19-20' range, v-drive, room for 6-8 people, a foldable tower with board racks and we have a deal. I don't need flashy rims or fancy lights to impress my friends while I drive around the lake. To me this boat is a great price point for posers that want to look like they wakeboard, not ones that actually do.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-08-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
Nah Randall is an amazing sales person...take a look at all the attention he gets anytime he makes a move in the industry! Everyone talks about it, analyzes it and speculates why Randall (one of arguably THE #1 riders in the world) did it! His actions create buzz, and likely sales. I think Axis just didnt give him much to work with...its pretty hard trying to put lipstick on a pig and come out looking pretty. Now...fast forward one season and pretend Axis has made a boat that Randall has absolutely beaten on, sunk to no end, and shown everyone what a functionally designed wake machine is supposed to do...now you got sales. Everyone in this thread isnt going to go out and buy this boat...even if Jenna Jameson was F::king Sky Lopez on the v-drive compartment. People here, in this thread, are looking for results...not sales jibberish. Randall's doing the best he can with what he got. Every good salesman knows that just about anyone can sell a product they believe in. Now...selling a product you dont believe in is a whole other level of B.S....one Randall has based his entire O.G. Career status against...which is doing what's legit/best for the sport...etc...the way HE sees things.
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-09-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
it's funny how everyone's freaking out over the 20" wheels and LED lights, who cares when it's going in the right direction we need it to go in

it's not gonna be perfect the first time in most cases, so give them a little break so they can have room to grow, you guys aren't personally doing anything to help the problem of high price boats other than complaining about people and companies that are trying to do something

and anything Randall works with you can bet it's top of the line cause he doesn't change or jump ship quickly without researching it very carefully and making sure it's up to his very very HIGH standards

so basically if Radalls representing and supporting it you can guaranty it's a great product and great for the sport
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-09-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
How many times do companies try to promote their product by advertising the most basic, stock setup? Even with car companies, how many ads show a car with the smallest wheels and hubcaps? It is pretty standard to advertise with the most outfitted model, regardless of the market you try to appeal to. I'd like to believe that 20" rims and LED lights will be options. They have to appeal to more than the ~10 core riders on this site (I say 10 b/c even tho plenty of people here say they'd love it with only bare essentials doesn't mean they have $30k-40k laying around) and that means some posers might buy this boat, which I'm sure there's already plenty of them as MC and CC customers too.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       01-09-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
Every brand has a price point model in their line (Sanger-V210, Malibu-V Ride, Mastercraft-X1, ect ect) The biggest complaints I had herd about the V-Ride and the X1 was how the customers were nickled and dimed for all the options that most people wanted to have. Their boats were right back into the high $40K to low $50K range and far from the 39,999 they saw advertised. If you want to get down and dirty you can still get theie flag ship model for far less than most you see advertised (get the bare minimum, boat, basic trailer, and tower). The problem comes when you get into the option playground. That is where the dealers and manufactures make the largest profit margins. Looks like the Axis 22 is picking up where the V-ride left off. Advertised at the same base price and will be right back to the 45 to 50 K boat for those who can't resist the extras.

Standard:
Axis AR335 MPI
Skybox Slide Seating
Wakebox 900 Ballast System
Fiberglass Swimstep
Above-engine Bin
Insulated Cooler Bag
AXray Kick Panels
Locking Glove Box
Storage LED Lighting
Cruise Control
Shark Fin
FatAX Wakeboard Tower
Oversized Stainless Cup Holders
Tandem Axle w/Disc Brakes

Options:
ChillAX Center Flip Up Seats
Docking Lights
Under Seat LED Lighting
Removable Carpet
Sony Splashproof Stereo
MTX Thunder Marine Series Speakers
MTX 10" Thunder Marine Series Subwoofer
MTX Tower Thunder Marine Series Speakers
Plug N’ Play Ballast System
Auto-set Wedge
Bimini Top
Fixed Wakeboard Rack
Custom Cover
AR335 ETX/CAT [CA Required]
High Altitude Propeller
Flush Kit
Battery Isolator Switch
Pull-up Cleats
Flip-up Bolster Seat
Heater 3-Outlet
MTX 2X400W Thunder Marine Series Amp
Splashproof Transom Remote
Depth Finder
Polished Stainless FatAX Tower
Tower Mirror
Swivel Wakeboard Rack
Quick-collapse Knobs
Tandem Axle w/Disc Brakes
Stainless Steel Tread Plates
Blacked-out 18" Mag Wheels
Runway Lights
2-tone Paint
Rear Trailer Ratchets

Not Price Point to me, But I do want to see what this new hull has to offer as far as wake.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-09-2009, 12:14 PM Reply   
I know this gets said all the time but the old 210 hull could be made cheap (same goes for 205v/v210 sanger/V-ride)

Honestly just a hull, seats, engine, tower w/ racks, BALLAST that does not suck (epic)/MC pro-tour, speed control (not even needed), cd player and boat speakers, not a ton-just enough, and a trailer.

http://www.nisswamarine.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=36965&
I understand this was 06' but Vdrive with a msrp of 30.5k....
I would imagine with cutting a few things and adding a great ballast system that was worth a damn, you could have the boat you need to wakeboard, even "CORE" riders would like for 35k even today. Moomba is price point. If they wanted they could dominate that industry more than they do.
Old     (tyler_jackpot_thurston)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-10-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
i was hoping to hear some educated comments but it seems noone has done their re-search, there is not a singe NEW boat someone can buy for under 39K that is a wake specific v-drive boat... ya the boat might be 45-50k but thats if u add all the options, most people r complaining that its isnt a price point boat-ok dont add the goofy extras and tricked out trailers and you have a 39k 22ft wakeboarding boat, the only other company that can compete with this new company is moomba and it is 35k without trailer, 2 feet shorter, smaller engine, skinnier boat and with half the ballast. Mastercraft has got their eye on green with a 54K base price X-1, nautique wont show their prices b/c they r all above 60K... im confused at what everyone is complaining about and if anyone has really gone to a dealer and seen the boat or jus sit on the computer and watch you-tube videos... the only true way of critiquing this boat is to find an axis dealer and go ask for a test drive then come back and pop ur review on here. i myself found a dealer, took the drive and had the dealer take me out on the lake (after he prepped the boat because it was fresh from the factory) the wake is huge, clean and looks rock hard, the boat handles like a dream with one finger steering. the tower was solid, no rattles no noise. the Nose never once dipped in the water ever after slamming the throttle to neutral. the storage in this boat far surpassed any competitor with loads of space for wakeboards and surfboards (i had him prove it when we got to the store and he put 2 wakeboards and surfboard in back storage) and loads of room for extra bags for surfing... i was completely impressed with the boat and for a NEW 09 boat 40k seemed extremely reasonable. ya u might be able to get an 06 for 30k but thats just it, its and 06, its used, not NEW.
we arnt living 4 years ago, boat prices have been sky-rocketing since ive been looking to buy a boat and they rnt coming back down...
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-10-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
Well written Tyler. Now this is just an observation, but doesn't it suck that you can get a new truck that has an even more powerful engine for the same price as ten years ago. The popularity of wakeboarding has driven the rediculous price increases, but someone can correct me if I am wrong. I can't even consider getting a new boat to replace my 2004 Launch SS that I bought loaded for 37.5k unless I bought something used.
Old     (tyler_jackpot_thurston)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-10-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
ya it does its horrible when u can get a fully loaded 2008 chevy silverado for 20k and you are going to use it twice as much as the tricked out 75k boat behind it. .
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-10-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
"the only true way of critiquing this boat is to find an axis dealer and go ask for a test drive then come back and pop ur review on here. i myself found a dealer, took the drive and had the dealer take me out on the lake"

"the wake is huge, clean and looks rock hard"

Many boats have great looking wakes from the boat.

"the tower was solid, no rattles no noise."

Without a rider putting a load on it you have no idea how it performs.

I'm not trying to be conflicting but it
sounds like you fell victim to your own critique. If you didn't ride behind it you really can't comment on whether or not it's a valid wake boat.
Old     (tyler_jackpot_thurston)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-10-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
^^ not at all, i gave a critique of what i saw and felt, i never one said the wake "was" i said "looked" it was the visual perception, the water temp is 43 degrees sorry for not getting gun ho and jumpin in, ill wait till late spring. if u go and ride behind it before i do let me kno but untill then u cant try and say that i am wrong, i was on the boat and drove the boat, u sir have done none of that
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-10-2009, 5:06 PM Reply   
Aren't you Conner's brother in the first place? And don't you work at a shop? What shop did you call up? Your own? Sorry BRO, but you seem to miss the point that this thread has take is that a PRICE POINT BOAT can't be $39K!
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-11-2009, 12:58 AM Reply   
jeez these thurstons lol jkjk but anywho i still see this as a pretty expensive price point and the looks are terrile to be id rtather get a used big 3 boat of a new sanger absolutly gorgeous boats and then u have this boat maybe it throw a big wake but for the price the tower and windo just turn me off
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-11-2009, 1:30 AM Reply   
As Tyler said, there's no other boats on the market at this price ( except the moomba, without trailer, 2 feet less,...).
So for all the haters, give me a new boat with that kind of specifications on the market?? there's no!
Maybe for some, the tower doesnt look good, but for my part the wakesetter tower looks ugly too, but I don't see people complaining about it (and the boat is at least 50% more expensive than Axis).
I think it's stupid to speak about second hand boat that would be at this price. For sure some would rather buy a used MC, CC, Malibu. But for those who want a CHEAP new boat, doesn't it look like a good deal?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-11-2009, 6:11 AM Reply   
just because malibu makes an ugly tower does not excuse axis.

and no, it isn't that good of a deal, maybe if the econ was BOOMING but right now now way. I just saw an 08 SAN 230, EVERY option for under 60k... which means it can go lower. Moomba's are going at boat shows for low 30's. It is not a deal, it is ugly, it has un-needed crap all over... it has all been said a lot of times.

If you have the $$ to think 45k is cheap for a boat cool. I'll stick to used
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-11-2009, 6:25 AM Reply   
For sure, 45k is not cheap. But what do you expect??? a wakeboard boat for 10k ?
Some moomba's are going for low 30's, but those boat are not in the same range that the axis (no trailer, 2 feet shorter, half of the ballast,...).
So give me a wakeboat that would have the same options that the axis and that would be in the same range of price.????

For sure it's difficult with the economy, but 40k is still in the lowest price for that kind of boat.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-11-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
did iyou see my post above
Mobius LSV - Tailer - Tower - PP - ballast (most likely half, add the other half for $300), stereo, spinner racks, etc etc....pretty loaded for low 30's.

That is a no-brainer, I'll take a moomba over Chaparral's retarded cousin anyday
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-11-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
you guys don't get it, it's not about used vs brand new, it's about price vs brand new

and a used boat will NEVER be as good a brand new one, I don't care how good someone takes care of it or how low the miles are

and if you want used you can get great boats for around $25 g's and if you're paying 35-40 g's for a used wakeboard boat with someone elses problems that's just stupid and throwing money away, give me a brand new boat any day I'd rather pay then get a used boat

for all you guys complaining you guys should go buy a winch or personal watercraft or is that to expensive also

this isn't a cheap sport and it never will be, maybe you should pick up tennis or ping pong
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-12-2009, 4:17 AM Reply   
WORD !
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-12-2009, 6:48 AM Reply   
"this isn't a cheap sport and it never will be, maybe you should pick up tennis or ping pong"

and this sport would be nothing without the core riders out there, most of which arent old enough to even purchase a boat. further more, if they are old enough, they are usually stuck with the reality that 40k is out of the question. So if you want to diss on those peoples passion, then the sport as we know it will die, or will stay in the state its in. There are kids out there right now that have the skills and dreams to kick other pros asses on the pro tour right now, but we will never know who they are cus they cant afford their own boat or dont live in an area with exposure, or their parents who wont buy them a boat. My parents made a ton of money when i was growing up, but they couldnt justify a 40k boat. and looking back on it, i dont blame them.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-12-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
word to that, kevin.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-12-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
No doubt.... People who are young enough to really progress and have a chance to go big with it cannot afford this stuff.... to be a pro at wakeboarding today it comes down to starting young, talent,, living somewhere warm or moving there, and rich parents to pay for a coach and boat.

I have been/will be in debt for a while from buying a boat... even used V-drives are still pricey (for a younger person)
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-12-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
Word again to Kevin! And speaking of core, I believe the "core" problem of wakeboarding not getting respect is that it a rich boy's sport dominated by rich kids whose careers have risen due to daddy's money. Sure there are exceptions, but "godfathers" like Byerly, Gator and Randall are prime examples. Surfers and skaters often come from different cultures, with snowboarding as the #2 rich boy sport. Cables will be the best way to make it to the masses, because even a $20000 wake boat will still be untouchable to most.
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-12-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
"this isn't a cheap sport and it never will be, maybe you should pick up tennis or ping pong"

What kind of mentality is that? Thats not one of wanting the sport to progress and to reach a whole new population of people. As much as I want them to, my parents will not buy me a boat. I respect them for it to. When I do buy my own boat in the future, I will enjoy and respect it that much more. Come on, a parent buying there kid a 60K-100K wakeboarding boat for a present? That is just ridiculous.

Oh, and I do play ping pong. And I like to think I am pretty D*** good at it!!!!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-12-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
while i have a few people listening, i want to throw and idea out there, or maybe two. so due to my body basically falling apart after 9 seasons, i decided to take up fishing. fishing is kind of the same as far as it can get ridiculously expensive. but the sport has been around so long that they have realised we have to have a niche for everyone to keep business alive. (and business is good for them, have yall ever seen the payout for one tournament? local tournament, 1 weekend, anyone can enter, 10k for first. pro tournament 100k for first for 1 weekend) what im getting at is the boats and how they make them. right now you can pay 60k for a loaded boat for fishing, or if you like you can pay 15k for a loaded boat for fishing. its kind of like compairing a new nautique to an 86 sn2001 only both a new. you can fish the same behind both. you can wakeboard the same behind both. it comes down to bells and whistles. I may get burned for this, but aluminum boat technology is getting better and better. ive seen some that when painted, you cant tell the difference until you are right up on it. would it make a good wake boat... i couldnt tell ya, but if we dont start exploring these options the sport will never grow.
Another idea would be to sell a boat in a box, kind of like motor cycles. for 25k we will give you the hull and layout options and everything you need for a sn2001, early supra, or 210. you have to assemble it. there are enough people on here that do custom work i bet it would turn out awesome.
The last idea comes from sites like the2001.com and that is flash an old boat. in order to do that you get an old hull and basically turn it in to a mold and make copies. figure out the logistics and legalities and you got yourself a niche in an unexplored market. There are probably enough brains in the last 4 posters to make something like this a reality. sorry for the rant, and zach i was in your position for a long time, let me know when you are in town and hubbard warms up, ill get ya a ride
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-12-2009, 8:27 AM Reply   
You should blame MC CC Malibu, supra,... instead of Axis. Those company are making super expensive boats!
For sure it's pity that wakeboarding is an expensive sport that not a lot of kids can do, but it's a fact! It will never be open to everybody. But it can be open to more people than it's now, Axis made a boat for 40k, others companies will have to diminish their price then. It's a first step.
But there's no reason to blame Axis that make a boat much more cheaper than most of the boat on the market. You can't get a wakeboat for 10k!

(sorry if my english is sometime hard to understand)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-12-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
^ those top companies make boats for people who can buy them.... there are still plenty of boats that are cheaper and are far better that you forgot to mention.

Moomba, Sanger (one thread has a V215 for 40k NEW), Centurion, and Gekko (joke, but not really)

When Axis's "Price point" boat is more costly than these companies normal business boats it is just stupid.

These seem to be the plan I get from these companies

MC/CC/BU (a stretch) --- Hey, we have a good name, lets make this thing shine and be the best, hardcore wakeboards will want it, rich weekenders will 1up the Jones' with it.

Other Less expensive - Lets make this plastic, naaah we don't neeeed that.... when people shop and cannot buy those ^^^^ they'll come here... keep the cost down, sell more because not everyone is a sponsored pro or a CEO.
Old     (phxwakeguy)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-02-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
Thread re-vived....

I thought it looked kinda goofy in person. I also thought it was kinda funny that they had this 'price point' boat listed for like $45K on the sticker and the VLX next to it was $47K. I just kinda laughed at the salesman and kept walking.

Anyone have a different opinion after seeing them at the boat shows?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-02-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
Nope, I wasn't real impressed with the boat. It was very generic (which I expected), but I don't expect generic to be nearly $50K. I think that most that are financing these new boats would spring the extra few bucks a month to get into a VTX or VLX.

People were crowding around the VLX at the show when I was there and nobody was looking at the Axis.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-02-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
Looking forward to our upcoming demo with Bakes. Can't wait to actually ride behind it.