Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-06-2003, 5:03 PM Reply   
I know this has been talked about before but what is so special?

It looks like a normal rampy wake.

I thought it was supposed to change wakeboarding. I haven't seen anyone go bigger or land any new tricks W2W yet. Is there some sort of drug that enters your body when you ride behind one that gives you Mastercraft ownership goggles? I don't get it.

BTW, I have absolutely nothing against Mastercraft. I love their boats but I don't see how this one has lived up to the hype.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-06-2003, 5:22 PM Reply   
he is a mc rep, but parks said the reason he got the double-back mobe was because of the bigger du's from the new wake... :-)
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-06-2003, 5:24 PM Reply   
I don't know..
I was expecting the X-star to 'revolutionize' wakeboarding to the extent that there would be a huge demand for them and it would flood the market with used 'older style' boats. I was expecting my '03 Sanger to be obsolete. Luckily, it looks like I can hang onto her for another year.

Go X-star!!

I do know that the cost of boats is getting way out of hand but that's another thread.

B-
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-06-2003, 5:38 PM Reply   
Uh, the X Star revolutionized prices by being the first wakeboard boat to go for $80,000 (well at least one here in San Diego was close to $80K by the time he was done with the stereo, upgraded motor, etc.).

Some pros don't like the wake at all because they are used to the steeper wake of the SANTE. But I haven't heard anyone complain about the double-ups - the are huge and solid.
Old    renegade            08-06-2003, 6:30 PM Reply   
the wake that is shown on the website and whatnot isn't really how it is...I rode behind one and its the "perfect" wake..my 2000 X star can't compare..on the day I rode behind the new one I had 4 fat sacs in the back two up front plus the locker sac and 6 people and the wake was nothing near the new one and that just had the stock system going....I might be riding on one next week again so I'll try to get pictures or something
Old    upupnaway            08-06-2003, 7:43 PM Reply   
Besides that, I do think the bow is ultra cool, more room, and it looks like the mach 5!
Maybe I will be able to afford an 04 x-star in '24.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-06-2003, 7:46 PM Reply   
it must be nice to ride behind a 70-80K boat with fat sacs everywhere and the wake being great. How long will it take mfgrs to figure out a perfect wake without all this extra weight.

My new VLX will be here on Friday and I am planning on running 2000 lbs +. Problem here? like the rest of them, Not, just that bu's need alot of extra weight

4 fat sacs in the back? seriously, come on, I would never buy a boat for 70-80K that needed 4 fat sacs in the back, would any of you reasonable people do that?
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       08-06-2003, 7:54 PM Reply   
Its pretty much impossilbe to make a boat throw a huge wake without extra weight. I guess they could put lead built into the boat, but who wants to tow around a 7000-8000lbs boat.

Also I think he was saying that he ran 4 sacs in the back of his '00 X-star, and even that didnt compare to the new X with just stock.
Old    norcal_99            08-06-2003, 8:33 PM Reply   
Here's a quote I received from a pro I was talking to via email. I asked how does the new X-Star wake compare to the `02 X-Star wake. Here's the answer:
"the wake is alot different. its not quite as peaky. definitely bigger. but, easy to edge all the way up. i really feel like there is no other boat even close to it now. and, i know tons of pros who ride for other companies feel the same.
hope that helps. let me know if there is anything i can do."

Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-06-2003, 8:50 PM Reply   
Rene, that was probably the best explanation I've heard so far but I still don't buy it! I still see people taking 5's and 7's that aren't incredibly big to the trough or even to the beginning of the flats. From what I heard in the beginning was it was supposed to revolutionize the wake to wake riding. I guess I just see no difference. Anyone have 80K lying around to buy this thing? I'd love to ride behind it!
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-06-2003, 8:59 PM Reply   
Rene, was the pro sponsored by MC?

I'm with you, Blabel. I think if you look back over the hype-building mania from MC last year, you will see a lot of statements that were pretty out of line, including some out of sponsored riders' mouths.

The wake may be nice. The boat may be roomy. Some may like the way it looks. Bottom line, in no way is it revolutionizing the sport the way MC predicted.

By the way, what's the justification for the $70k+ price tag? Is the boat really more expensive to make? Does it come with better options? Or is this just a case of, let's hype the hell out of it and fool people into dropping $30k more than a VLX or $20k more than a Super Air?

I also should say that I, in general, really like Mastercrafts and am seriously considering an X2 if and when I buy my next boat. But from all that I have read and seen, this boat is a major flop.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-06-2003, 9:09 PM Reply   
I definitely wouldn't call it a flop. They have sold all the boats they built and got top $ for them. The boat has a lot of nice features, tons of room for people and storage, a really nice cockpit. It's a really nice boat. It's just not worth $20 or $30K more than other boats to me - obviously it is for the people buying it.

So I wouldn't call it a flop but the wake definitely didn't live up to the hype and it hasn't revolutionized wakeboarding. The pro tournaments aren't a fair way to judge the wake since several of the events were held in shallow water and very small areas. My friends that have rode behind one really liked the wake.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-06-2003, 9:17 PM Reply   
How do the total sales compare to, say VLXs and Super Airs?

What about this boat is better than a Super Air or VLX beside more room and a bigger gas tank?

By flop I mean compared to the hype and price tag, not total sales (just to be clear).
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-06-2003, 10:09 PM Reply   
I am curious what the deciding factor was for those that purchased the boat. Was it because it was truly better then any of the competitors, or was it because they just wanted to get the newest funky looking boat. Heck, if it was size and storage they wanted they could of purchased a malibu sunscape or the centurion that is the size of an ocean liner.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-06-2003, 10:21 PM Reply   
i thougnht the wake was small with stock tanks and was way tooo wide. shape wasnt lippy at all but thats my opinion
Old     (skerzz)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-06-2003, 10:30 PM Reply   
"on the day I rode behind the new one I had 4 fat sacs in the back two up front plus the locker sac and 6 people and the wake was nothing near the new one and that just had the stock system going"

I believe Elliott was trying to say that his 2000 x-star had 4 fat sacks in the back and 2 up front, and his wake "was nothing near the new one and that just had the stock system going"(the new x-star)
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       08-06-2003, 11:11 PM Reply   
Just my two cents: When I rode the new X-Star, I thought it was a comfortable wake to ride. It started off rampy, but ended steep. I think the transition in the wake is what makes the double ups so great (theory). It was definitely a new shape for me, which I liked very much. In regards to size, however, the wake with stock ballast was big, but so is a SAN/VLX/etc. with complete stock ballast. I may not think the boat revolutionizes the wakeboarding industry and may not be worth the $, but I definitely give that boat a two thumbs up and would like to say that MC did a great job on making the X-Star series better.
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-06-2003, 11:12 PM Reply   
OHH MY GOD A PRO SAID IT IS BETTER THEN MINE?!?!?!?! I am going to run out and drop 80 grand on a boat.

SUCKERS!!!

Plain and simple most one the people on this board, probably me included would not know what to do with wakes much bigger then we have no so what is the damn point.
Old    claids            08-07-2003, 12:27 AM Reply   
if they said "just another ski boat" would you buy it?

its called marketing, come one people stop hatin
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-07-2003, 7:42 AM Reply   
I rode behind the tour boat..... the wake was good. It took some getting used to. especially since I ride behind a SANTE. The wake is WIDE and rampy...... great for edging all the way through the wake. it does not have that boot at the top though. The DU's are awesome ...... there's no way around that. The only complaint that I have is that you are still going to have to put a lot of weight in the boat. I don't care what anyone says, the wake is not that big with the stock set up...... I heard from a reputable source that the boat that they used to film out of for the tour put out a bigger wake with no weight than the one that they used for pulling the stops with over 1k lbs in it....... go figure that one out. The interior is the bomb....no doubt. It will only get better as they work all the kinks out. Just my .02$

alex
Old    bambamski            08-07-2003, 10:20 AM Reply   
We were on the water tied up to the log booms in Kelowna and everyone that hasn't seen the wake first hand has no idea what they are talking about. They had an X2 that was driving through the course pulling the sky ski guys and there is no comparison of the wakes. We were tied up to the log boom and the wake from the X2 would roll through and it would rock the boat but not to bad. When the new X-star rolled through we couldn't watch the riders because we were to busy keeping the boat from mashing up against the logs. I took a big old scrape out of the bow of my boat on one of them when we weren't paying attention. We ended up going on the grounds on Sunday because it was too much work on the water trying to keep everything steady.

On one of the passes the log booms go all out of wack and we took the wake on bow first. The nose of our boat dipped after the first wake went through and the next couple we took on a wall of water which completely soaked the bow and all the carpet back to the back bench of our X-10. It ruined my camera and two rolls of film. No wake board boat out has ever done that to me. That was even going through the log boom. The guy next me tied up from the back with the swim platform against the logs with his SAN and he took on water 2 or three times and then the rocking of the boat put the his platform on the log when the boat came down he cracked the mount on his platform. He left saying that was the biggest wake he'd ever seen.

My opinion is that it's more wake then 95% of us could ever handle. I just don't understand why people still continue to bash the boat though. A buddy of mine just thinks that it's brand loyalty and if you just dropped 40 to 50k on another boat it must make them feel better by trashing on the X-star.

I can't comment on the width because I didn't get to ride it on Thurday but if it's so wide, instead of riding on your normal 70 foot line why wouldn't you ride at 60 to 65 feet? What difference would it make?

I also thought it had a great peak to the wake. I rode behind a VLX for the first time last weekend and it didn't have near the peak that the Xstar had. The VLX had a really fun wake and I thought it was similar to mine but it was half the size of the Xstar.

Until you see it first hand and are 20 to 30 feet from it you can't possibly have any idea what the heck you're talking about.

Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2003, 10:26 AM Reply   
Pat I don't doubt what you are saying, I can't because I wasn't there but I'll say this again:

I didn't see one rider go bigger than I've seen in any other contest and I did not see any new W2W tricks being pulled. That is why I doubt the wake.
Old    bambamski            08-07-2003, 10:30 AM Reply   
Long post but one more thing.

Andre and Blabelmooch if your so concerned about spending 20 to 30k more which it isn't. It can be bought for 60kish. You're telling me that a fully loaded San with all the options you can throw at the boat isn't going to run you in the 50's? Maybe you should buy a bayliner for 20k. I'm thinking that a SAN wake isn't 20 to 30k better than a bayliner wake now is it?

Nothing against SAN or Bayliner just using them as an example.
Old    nick360            08-07-2003, 10:35 AM Reply   
The following comments were heard third hand, so I don't know their exact wording, but this is basically what they said:

According to Daniel Watkins and Erik Ruck, they are getting a 24v from Tige' because they said that a weighted 24v puts out the same wake as the weighted pro tour X-Star. They said that the 24v wouldn't typically be their first choice in the Tige' line, but if they had to compete behind the X-Star, they wanted to train behing the 24v because it had the same wake.

I found that kind of interesting.
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-07-2003, 10:41 AM Reply   
pat-
it's not the width from w2w that we're talking about.... it's the width of the actual wake from the flat water through the transition to the top of the wake. when people say that it is wider I think that they mean the transition is longer. also, was the x-2 weighted???? I think that my SANTE wake is just as tall as the new Xstar.... call me crazy....

and pat, how can you compare the VLX wake and the X-star when you have only ridden 1 of them...... didn't you just say that people who have not seen the wake first hand don't have any ieda of what they are talking about...... maybe you should have said that people that haven't ridden behind it don't have any idea of what they are talking about....... I'm with Blabel on this one.... nobody is doing anything any bigger behind this boat than any other top of the line wakeboard boat.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2003, 10:51 AM Reply   
Thank you Alex. I really don't care about the price issue. I have yet to see anyone respond with an answer to my REAL question of how has this wake has made a difference.

The only thing I have heard of is Parks landing his double Mobe because of it. But to me that means nothing because I think he would have pulled it anyway and he is a Mastercraft rider.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-07-2003, 11:04 AM Reply   
A bigger wake will never revolutionize wakeboarding. All a bigger wake will revolutionize is knee problems.

The boat is a great boat no doubt about it. To me its not worth an extra $20,000 but to someone looking for the best boat regardless of price, $20,000 is not a big deal. Face it, there are lots of people who drop 70G on a boat just for the status let alone the performance.

Performance increases are gonna start coming at an exponentially greater price. The performance benefits of a Ferrari over a Corvete isn't worth 100G to me, but that doesn't mean Ferrari's are over rated or a "flop".
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-07-2003, 12:12 PM Reply   
but root, that's exactly what blabel is asking - where's the performance?
Old    jzwake            08-07-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
My account of the New X-Star,

We got to ride behind one for about half a day, The Boat is super roomy with lots of storage which appeals to many people. It Drives as well as any other bigger V drive out there, I didn't notice it any better or worse then the SAN or X-2 I regularly Drive. We had the factory ballast full and 3 Get high sports 750lbs sacks in the boat along with 3 people. The wake was really nice. I'm not to big on rampy wakes, which the new Xstar has but this wake is really big, long ramp. Comparable to something you see in the snowboard park (not quite as big). The wake was firm and the big Ramp wake provided a nice landing area. Take that for what you will. I think all in all the new Xstar is a step in the right direction if you can afford that step. When I get a new boat next spring (sold my Naut last summer) I will probably not get a Xstar since I can;t afford that, But I wish I could.

I think in a way it is a Revolution in wakeboard boats. Its a big roomy boat that handles well, Good vision with the new tower (which is nice), Big Ballast system, Bigger Price tag.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2003, 3:00 PM Reply   
Excellent critique.
Old     (jess)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-07-2003, 3:21 PM Reply   
I can't critique the wake myself, but I was at a demo/clinic with a Nautique sponsered pro rider. When we asked him what he thought about the X-star, he said it was very nice. He even said, "Nautique needs to make a bigger boat."
Old    norcal_99            08-07-2003, 11:41 PM Reply   
Blabel, How much bigger do you think the pro riders can go, and what new tricks do you think are possible?

IMO, The pros already go HUGE.

If you go to the San Diego BYT ask Shaun Murray. He'll give you an un-biased answer. Because he rides for Nautique.

Old    norcal_99            08-07-2003, 11:56 PM Reply   
By the way, doesn’t having a ladder in the bow constitute a change, aka revolution?
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-08-2003, 12:07 AM Reply   
I personally ride around 80 feet of line and lots ofpeople even ride 85 and behind the new xstar you will have to go really fast to ride at that length, un like the x-2 or sante which are perfect also when you go to a bigger boat that means you need a lo tmore weight to get it deeper in the water to get a larger wake.
Old    hockeyruss            08-08-2003, 4:28 AM Reply   
"They have sold all the boats they built"

What is that 7???? not counting the pro ones. Look at the people on this board and the other major wakeboarding board who have them, vs the new VLX's and the new SANTE's on these boards. I think there are like 2 consumers that bought them. then there is the one in KY for sale and the one in LA (thats Louisianna, not Los Angelos). Other than that where are they? I have never personally seen one, I doubt there is even 1 in my state. I am sure there are a couple in Cali, maybe 1 or 2 in Texas and possibly one in Arizona. Way too much money for anyone without cash to burn....Now if I won a 200 million dollar lottery maybe I would look at one, but to work for a living, I think I'll stick to something that is reasonable.
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-08-2003, 5:16 AM Reply   
Russ, I know of two x-stars in Michigan and if I remeber correctly but I thought that every dealer was suppossed to get two. I looked at and priced one at the boat show over the winter and if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a boat I will probaly ahve to say that it will not be a "wakeboarding boat"
Old    triplexracing            08-08-2003, 6:01 AM Reply   
hey russ i live in greenville ,sc and i just ordered one.

it may cost more but not like everybody is making it out to be. 10thousand is like only 80 bucks a month more.the way i look at it is if your going spend almost 50thousand what is another ten going hurt if it is the boat u want. sure all the other ones are awesome but i like the x-star. i work hard for my money so i might as well buy what i want.

(Message edited by triplexracing on August 08, 2003)
Old    bambamski            08-08-2003, 8:46 AM Reply   
The X2 was weighted because we could see a sac in the bow of the boat. It also had about 5-6 people in it so I'm assuming it was weighted pretty well.

One comment my wife made that I noticed as well at the comp was that the riders weren't cutting very hard at all at the wake. Most of the pros were just taking their tricks wake to wake but were still getting huge air. Water conditions were really bad which may account for some of them easing off a bit. Last year I just remember Shapiro and the way he cut at the wake, his butt would almost be touching the water when he was about to launch off the wake. This year it was like he wasn't even on edge.

I didn't ride behind the X-star you're right however the way I was tossed around on the lake by it's wake was like no other boat I've been around. There is no way I could afford one but if money was no object in my eyes it would be no contests to which boat I'd buy. I can't think of one catagory that this boat would place second.

I think the true test is whether or not you'll see the other big boat companies come out with something to compete against it. We've already seen Tige bring out their new 24 foot boat. I'd be shocked if we didn't see Malibu and CC come out with something in the next couple of years as well.
Old    nick360            08-08-2003, 9:21 AM Reply   
WakeNup,

I don't really think that peoples participation on this or the other wakeboard site are valid measurements of ownership. I think the people on these sites tend to be much more of a "core" group, pretty serious about wakeboading. It's my perception that those are not the type of people buying the new X-Star. These sites are growing in a lot in diversity (I remember when it was just a bunch of MC & Bu owners mad at the world about something or another ), but there are still alot more recreational boaters who don't even know about the sites, than there are serious boarders who frequent them. And like I said, my guess is that the people buying the new X-Star are more recreational boaters who want the flash and status.
Old    xtremebordgurl            08-08-2003, 9:29 AM Reply   
Parks is throwing crazy sh*t, not that thats anything new, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because the wake is huge, that doesn't magically make riders any better, it could be a revolutionary wake, but it wouldn't do it over night. Not to mention that only the guys that ride for mc have the opportunity to really improve, think about it, if there was money on the line would you be trying to learn something new during a pro event? The guys to watch are Parks and other mc guys cause they're the one's benefitting from it. When I talked to Andrew A. he said that he loved the wake (although, his new mc isn't a new x-star). You can't expect a miracle over night. But Parks just landed a double half cab roll behind the new x-star, personally I think thats proof enough.
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-08-2003, 9:48 AM Reply   
Bess, I think you may have missed the sarcasm there. The point of the whole post was that while we were watching the Kelowna pro stop on TV, we noticed that all the riders were taking their tricks way into the flats. The person in the original post is big on finding a wake that will allow him to take his tricks bigger and w2w not into the flats for softer landings. It was an honest opinion. And like that person said, he has never personally ridden behind this boat, and could really sing a different tune if he gets a chance to, but from what he's seen this boat has not lived up to the hype. This thread has become ridiculous. It wasn't a bash on MC. I think very few people who responded to this actually got the point. As for the double half cab roll, well I think Parks talent speaks for itself and he would have landed that anyway.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-08-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
Its a big marketing scheme they have one of the top riders in the world on their side to say it is going to revolutionize the sport or whatever it has a different shaped wake and a completely new look they can say whatever they want but to me its kind of a joke, everyone rides differently and like different wakes so ride the one you like. I would ask pros that arent huge yet and may not have boat sponsers what they like because i know my friends was gonna get the x-star and ended up wiuth the x-2, oh yeah hes pro
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-08-2003, 10:29 AM Reply   
Pat, the 24V is not in response to the X Star. Tige has had the 23v for years, and the 24V is the continuation of that boat on the new hull.
Could not tell by your post if you were saying that Tige created this boat in response to the larger X Star.
Old    hockeyruss            08-08-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
WOW, I find it hard to believe that someone that is not in it as a core rider would spend that kind of loot on boat to impress the neighbors or just cruise around the lake. I have a message to everyone that buys a new X-Star and can't wakeboard.
bunny
Old    chip_boarder            08-08-2003, 12:16 PM Reply   
I rode behind a new MC in a competition about a week ago. I was not impressed. The wake was too rampy. I like a wake that is a little steeper. I agree with what someone wrote ealier it is all about how much weight you have in the boat. You have to load it down if you want a big wake. I have a new Moomba LSV Gravity Games boat and I love the wake when it is loaded down, 1500+lbs. The guages and interior are a little nicer on the MC, but for 30k less I can live with that.
Old    deltahoosier            08-08-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
Seems to me that the general thought on this matter, is that people do not like the big boats. The first Malibu I rode on was the 23' LSV. The person who owns the boat basically told me he should have got the 21' VLX. Most people that I know or talk too, seem to think that too (get the 21' whatever your brand is over a 23' version).

Basic reasons are:
-boat is too big.
-harder to tow harder to store
-need much more weight to sink it
-sucks way more gas
-wake is too wide
-cost more money and you have to deal with the previous list

Kind of interesting that people seem to be heading away from their core beliefs for this boat. Maybe people are caught up in the hype and will settle back down. Still is cool that someone has the guts to try something new. The technology can not come up to speed until companies start pushing the envelope.

Just my 3 1/2 cent....
Old    lakesideluver            08-11-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
here is an objective opinion, i cant afford a "wakeboard" boat so i live with my 24ft arriva i/o which ive gotten a solid wake on and im happy, but anyways, ive ridden behind the new xstar at my local dealers demo days, and a guy i ride with from time to time has an 03 supra.....heres my verdict.....i loved the xstar, it was great....but the supra was bigger and had more room, the factory ballast made a huge wake, the perfect pass came stock, and this boat was 35,000.......half the price and all the boat if you ask me.....my .02
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-11-2003, 11:40 AM Reply   
I posted this on the other thread but I think it's worth repeating here. I know you know what you're talking about Blabel because I've seen all your vids and posts so you obviously are knowledgeable.

Before I add my remarks I'll say this. I own a 2002 XStar (X2) which I weight with 1000# in the rear and 1050# in the bow. I ride at an intermediate level but have many locals ride with me who ride advanced/outlaw and everyone loves my wake. I have also had the privelige to ride behind a Gravity Games SSV (Marty McFly's) and a few 2003 Malibu VLX so I know the difference in wakes.

Review:
WAKE - the wake is very long and rampy unlike my 02 which is steep and vertical. It takes a few sets to get used to where the pop is. I rode like crap my 1st two sets and couldn't figure it out until someone told me they had the same problem. Once you get used to the pop it's very easy to take tricks big out into the flats. I can go just as big behind mine though. The XStar I rode behind had only the stock KGB and 7 people w/ gear.

RIDE - The ride on this thing is awesome. We rode across pretty bad chop to get to our riding spot and it rides like a cruiser. You cannot feel the chop like you do in my boat. 2Ups didn't feel like you were shaking the boat apart either. They were VERY big and easy to hit.

INTERIOR - I can say that the interior on this boat is BY FAR the best on the market right now. When I rode it last we had 7 guys + gear + coolers and there was not one thing on the floor of the boat. The rear lockers take any size of boards and the passenger storage compartment is just ridiculous. The bow seating arrangement is unreal - two or three people can comfortably stretch out and watch the riding (something which cannot be done in mine). The gauge cluster is really awesome to see in person. The buttons and gauges are well thought out and easy to access/read. Fit and finish on the boat are first rate.

OVERALL - The boat is a great boat and definitely gets tons of looks and comments.

The negatives I see about this boat are obviously the price, the cost to maintain - a 60gallon gas tank is a chunk of change to fill, and then a few minor things that each boat has.

I had a long conversation about the price while we were riding that day concerning the inflated price. I have to think that MCraft will lower the price back to normall levels (high 50's) once the supply begins to equal the demand. I just have a hard time believing they're going to sell many boats at that price. I think they are charging that price now due to limited supply and a pretty decent demand.

If I was to buy another boat right now I'd buy and X2 or a SAN due to my financial limitations. If $$ was no object though I'd definitely consider one of these.

Just my $.02

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-11-2003, 12:01 PM Reply   
Great thread Mooch.

I think the new x-star is a total negative. I am afraid of CC/BU following this lead.

From what I read, the new x-star is a big expensive hog with a rampy wake.
Yet, I desire an efficient boat (storage/fuel) with a vertical wake. My ideal boat is the SAN/X2 under-side with the VLX top-side.

A 21 foot v-drive can be the ultimate boat for less than $50K. My fear is that CC/BU will focus on their big rampy hogs and prices will follow.
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-11-2003, 12:14 PM Reply   
parks landed a double half cab mobe behind it.... he has done the double half cab roll for years..... and he has tried the doulbe half cab mobe for years and would have landed it anyway....Let's face it, Parks is PAID to tell you how great the wake is, period. I am not saying that it is a crappy wake..... I have ridden behind the tour boat and it makes a very very nice wake. I just don't think that it's all that it is cracked up to be...... and I don't think that it will "revolutionize" wakeboarding..... that makes me wonder, does wakeboarding need to be "revolutionized"???? It is such a young sport that has seen a huge progression in the last ten years.... what is wrong with the level of progression that we need such a change???? IMO, wakeboarding is progressing at a very fast rate regardless of the boats that have come out in the past few years..... does the boat revolutionize wakeboarding or is it the rider behind the boat????? Did Darin, Scott, Gator, etc... do the things they did for our sport because a boat company came out with a new design???? HELL NO! Am I ever going to land a double half cab roll if I don't buy a new xstar????????
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-13-2003, 9:38 PM Reply   
A few words.. I sold my 00' X-Star and purchased on 03'. Bottom line, the boat is awesome! The interior is years ahead of its time, hands down. I don't think anyone can doubt that. The WAKE? The stock ballast is not enough. Fair enough... Show me any wakeboard boat that the stock ballast is! I fill the ballast 1100 lbs. + 8 lead heads 6 in bow two in middle(520 lbs) + 2 sacks in the back (550 hippo bags)= ~2720 total ballast. I added a ACME 14.5 * 16 4 blade prop. Add as many riders as possible and you cannot stop it. With this much weight the wake does start to peek. Weighted correctly it very comparable to my 00' with 2500 lbs, except MUCH LARGER!
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-14-2003, 10:19 AM Reply   
Chris, how much was your 03 X-Star out the door. What engine package did you choose?
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-14-2003, 11:21 AM Reply   
my cc dealer says to not look for cc to follow the xstar....... they have way too much $ invested in the SAN's that they aren't changing much.... only interior and layout... no hull changes... he also says that they ask the pro riders what they would like to see improved and most all of them said ....change nothing. if it's not broken don't fix it....
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-14-2003, 2:23 PM Reply   
Joe,

The base price was 64K and with all the options, tower lights, tower speakers, extra transom remote, heater, shower, 350 MCX engine, etc...
The OTD price was $69000.00 and some change! I have heard a lot about the engine MCX not being enough, but with a ACME 14.5 * 16 prop it jumps out of the hole, with excess weight. The upgraded 385HP or the 8.1 is NOT needed!
Old    triplexracing            08-14-2003, 3:16 PM Reply   
mine was 63,000 and some change out the door with mcx, spare tire, transom remote,transom saver,ladder in front,span-on covers,custom paint job.
Old    triplexracing            08-14-2003, 3:58 PM Reply   
snap-on covers my bad