Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-17-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
Picked a up a set of EVID''s over the weekend for cheap so I was pretty stoked. I know squat about wiring and amps except for what I have read on here. Here is the amp that I am working with.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~erik0023/AudioEquipment/MTX/Thunder_4320.htm

It has the following specs.

Actual rms power output per channel @ 14 Volts 85 watts (x4) 4 ohms stereo
150 watts (x4) 2 ohms stereo
300 watts (x2) 4 ohms mono

Minimum continuous power per channel @ 12 Volts,
(very conservative IASCA "cheater amp" rating) 40 watts (x4) 4 ohms stereo
80 watts (x4) 2 ohms stereo
160 watts (x2) 4 ohms mono

I wired the EVIDS in parallel the following way

Upload

They sounded great but I could see the limiter light blinking on one the EVIDS when I turned them up to loud. It was also only blinking on the one, second one from the left in the diagram. If I have them wired in parallel which I thought I did why would it do that. Also I'm only putting 160watts to each which they should be able to handle correct. Any suggestions would be helpful. I suppose I could have the amp wired wrong to. Any insight from you stereo gurus would be helpful.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-17-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
What's the Ohms on those EVID drivers? and thier rated RMS?

If wiring is not a problem, I would run each speaker on it's own channel (or bridged) instead of parallel/bridged. The amp will run cooler and the net watts to each driver will be about the same. Just my .02
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-17-2007, 6:58 PM Reply   
cant run a 4 channel amp to 1 channel. 2/3or 4 only. that woulda worked on a 2 channel amp. i believe evids are 8 ohms. so you can run it 2 channel at 8 ohms.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-17-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
The evids are rated at 300watts at 8ohms. I thought I read some on here where someone was using a 4 channel amp to power the evids. I could have been mistaken.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-17-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
I was going to run one evid off of each side bridged but that would make the amp see a 8ohm load correct?
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-17-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
Install as (882001) stated, wire each 6.2 separate rather than parallel. Bridge the front channel to one speaker and the rear channel to the other. Your amp will push some where in the neighborhood of 150 at 8 ohms. My guess is if you measure the resistance to the speaker it will be closer to 6 and that will give you 200 to each speaker. Very few amps can be wired in dual mono. Your diagram above shows a dual mono at 4 ohms so what your getting is only two channels of the amp so 300/2 or 150 per speaker at 4 ohms. That is basically what you will get when you rewire it but you will use all 4 channels instead of just 2.

Types of speaker power specifications

A. Average power. Often wrongly referred to as "RMS" power, since it is derived from RMS voltage readings. RMS (root-mean-square) only makes sense on variables that have negative as well as positive values. Power is only positive (goes from the amplifier to the speaker, not the other way round), so does not need the "root" and the "square" of the RMS process (which just extract the sign out of a number), just the "mean" (average). Average power is therefore that which uses RMS voltage for its calculation.

B. Program power. It is an archaic term that derives from old swept sine wave power tests. Nowadays, it does hold no real meaning. For most manufacturers, it is simply twice the average power, although other manufacturers may use ratios other than 2:1. It may be used as a guideline to the selection of amplifier power. For instance, a speaker with 300W average power and 600W program power (2x300W) might use an amplifier with 600W output. This is for carefully controlled conditions; for more usual applications with some degree of abuse that amplifier would be too large.

C. Peak power. Corresponds to the calculation of power based upon peak voltages. For a 6 dB crest factor signal, peak power is four times the average power.

The evid 6.2 is rated 150 continuous, 300 program, 600 peak. So 150 to 200 average would be perfect.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-18-2007, 4:26 AM Reply   
how cheap where the evids?

I have used them in outdoor setups in peopls back yards and they do sound nice.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-18-2007, 7:43 AM Reply   
So you don't think it will kill the am to run the 8 ohm load on each side. I got them for $175
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-18-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
No.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-18-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
Smokin' deal on the Evids.

I blew mine up running them in parallel with 500 Watts. So each unit was seeing 250 Watts at 4 Ohms. They lasted for about 3 months or so that way, so it didn't seem to affect them until I really turned it up one time trying to impress all of Lake Powell.

This was 3 years ago and I never remember seeing any such indicator light...or maybe I did not know where to look and that is why I melted the tweeters.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-18-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
You can see the indicator light if you look through the opening for the tweeter. I can only see it though when it's flashing.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-18-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
Tall, you probably couldn't see the light due to the flames

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-18-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
The way you have it wired you are only getting about 40 watts to each Evid. Move the one on the left of your diagram to the LR+/RR- terminals if you want to get the most out of the amp.

The four channel amp bridged to two channels, each pushing one 8 ohm speaker will provide the amp with the design load. In that configuration with that amp the Evids will see 80 watts each.

I would suggest a stronger amp or two. Back in the day, I ran my each of my Evids off a 200w amp (two identical amps).

Don't get wrapped up in the published amp ratings, they yield half of the rating at the 8 ohm load (in bridged configuration).

Do not run a single 8 ohm speaker off a single unbrideged channel of a car stereo amp, it will blow the amp.

(Message edited by mikeski on December 18, 2007)
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-18-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
With the little amount of power you say I getting to them do you know why limitor might be coming on?
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-18-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
Why would running a single 8 ohm speaker of of one channel blow it up while runing a a single 8 ohm speaker off of one bridged channel not.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-18-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
the light you are seeing it through the port. it keeps the evids from getting overpowered from the bass. cross them over higher maybe 120/150 hz and the light will go away, except when your really rockin.8 ohms wont hurt the amp at all. low ohms overheat amps.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-18-2007, 9:37 PM Reply   
Running 8 ohms...

I didn't think it would hurt anything either until the first amp went up in smoke. Might not happen to an amp with lots of protection built in but the high impedence load drives the rail voltage way up causing the transistors to fry.

Trust me on this one... don't do it if you don't like the smell of burning electronics.

The power supply stage of the particular amplifier was PWM, a traditional amplifier may live but you are going to be so far off the ideal load that you will only see a fraction of the amplifier's potential. Makes as much sense as putting 4" speakers on a tower.

(Message edited by mikeski on December 18, 2007)
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-18-2007, 9:50 PM Reply   
Mikeski, man you are confusing the hell out of me. In one post it sounds like your saying it's allright for me to run them at 8 ohm.

"The four channel amp bridged to two channels, each pushing one 8 ohm speaker will provide the amp with the design load. In that configuration with that amp the Evids will see 80 watts each.
"

but the last one your saying don't even try it?
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-19-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
Two different things.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-19-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
Great, could you elaborate please. Man I should have paid better attention in to the EE classes I took.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-19-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
Two different wiring configurations. One way is OK, one way has the possibility of causing damage.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-19-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
Crap! Well I just figure out why the limiter light was blinking on one and not the other. I'm pretty sure the tweeter has blown in that one, it had all that extra current to burn off. Called the store I ordered them from and even though they were used for who knows how long they offered me $50 back which is probably how much it will cost to get it replaced. Called EV and man where they helpful. The guy I spoke with was Danny at ext. 5230, he bent over backwards answering every question I had and was very knowledgeble. All in All it was a great day in the customer service department.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-19-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
I had to send mine back to the nearest EV repair shop 300 miles away. They charged me around $100 to repair both.

I never saw or smelled any smoke when my tweeters went out. I think it happpened when wakeboarding and the smoke was lost in the boat exhaust