Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-09-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
Just wanted to do a quick role call to see who will be there. The first event went off big & it's time for round two!! I hope to see all of your smiling faces come Sunday.
Old    martini            09-09-2004, 5:16 PM Reply   
i'll be on the mic and behind the boat...

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-09-2004, 5:26 PM Reply   
who's in the old farts division?
Old    martini            09-09-2004, 5:31 PM Reply   
which old fart division? masters or vets???
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-09-2004, 5:35 PM Reply   
what's the difference?

i need to be in the easiest division...i suck!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-09-2004, 5:40 PM Reply   
Masters, that would be the three of us + some of the Piru/Castaic crew.
Old    martini            09-09-2004, 5:42 PM Reply   
i think there was around 10 riders in the masters division last time around...
Old    martini            09-09-2004, 5:48 PM Reply   
masters might be the easiest division, but, not for long...Damian Klass, Jeff Barton, Billy Garcia, Kevin Michael and Pat Mckellany are all solid riders they just crossed over to masters!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-09-2004, 6:13 PM Reply   
Hey Pete, I think Joe means the Masters div at Castaic. Don't get me wrong, It'd be really cool to see Pat McEl, JB, and Billy Garcia (I see Damien all the time, he usually gives us a much appreciated break by riding Open).
Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-09-2004, 11:03 PM Reply   
I think I might dust off the 'ol board and give it a go on Sunday. I have never ridden in a tourney. Being a fresh off the grill to So-Cal 32 year old, please be kind.

Every day I do my demo's I drive by that lake and curse the newborns of every fat fisherman enjoying the only butter in So-Cal. I may have the boat go about five to make my runs last that much longer...
Old    martini            09-10-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
i hear ya jeff...

see you there...
Old    wsrmatt            09-10-2004, 6:58 PM Reply   
Does anyone know who won the different divisions last time? Also i heard there is a double up comp. Is that true?
Old     (scottay)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-13-2004, 6:04 AM Reply   
Cool event....Steve Bates rips, (i think he shoulda rode a different class), AZ, Canyon Lake, Frazier Park,BV/Bako....lotsa good talent. scott
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-13-2004, 6:30 AM Reply   
Double up contest winners last time, Chris Williams, Ricky G and Brent Baum. I heard that this time, it was Ricky G, Chris Williams and Brent Baum.
Cooper Swink representing Canyon Lake bringing home the trophy in the boys division, way to go Coop!!
Couldn't make it out there this time but heard it was a good time!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-14-2004, 3:47 PM Reply   
WEll the event was fun. I decided not to ride & got the privelage of judging the Men, Jr Men, Novice, Open & Double Up Contest. It was a ton of fun BSing with Frew as he drove the comp. Scott Steve Bates does rip, how many reps do you know that can blow up like that? You should have seen him on the Sky Ski on Saturday, that guy is crazy! D-up winners this time=Rick G(huge Moby Dick), Chris Williams (KGB) I think woops, Brent Baum (switch TS 5). Huge props to Jimmy Wolf for almost sticking a TS 9, 2 times he just cased the wake & once landed a little toe heavy. Hope to see everyone next year.
Old    anim8or            09-14-2004, 4:40 PM Reply   
Is it planned again for next year? Whats the qualifications to enter in the 'Novice' group?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-14-2004, 6:14 PM Reply   
Jimmy Wolf should have gotten a trophy for longest fall of the day !

Also, Wes Elward threw a kickass OHH off the dub.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on September 14, 2004)
Old    wsrmatt            09-14-2004, 6:47 PM Reply   
dude i was there and i think Wes should have totally got third in the double up contest. he got jacked in my opinion. his double up was like 20 ft high and way into the flats. ive watched him ride at castaic and he does a switch toe 5 easy cuz he does them to 7 also. after the comp i expressed my opinion to him and he said that if chris or ricky woulda each done an ohh thiers would have somehow been better then a not so big toe 5.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-15-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
Matt, thanks for the input. I however saw it differently. The OHH was big and landed smooth, however I decided to base some of the judging on technicality. Ricky won because his Moby Dick was HUGE, smooth & a handle pass mobe. Chris' KGB was scored high based on the same thing it was large & technical. Wes was leading for a long time with his OHH, but we felt it was necessary to reward someone for throwing a switch toeside spin. There's not much more tough than that. I don't doubt that Wes can do them but he didn't and we felt that his OHH was outdone. Sorry you don't agree. I disagree when it comes to Chris or Ricky getting scored differently. I don't know either of them & despite their names being recognizable I could care less who wins. I'm a little offended that you think I was star struck & that I would give it away to a pro. Tell Wes he's incorrect on that comment. I reward those that impress me the most based on a few criteria, difficulty, size, style etc. I wanted so badly to give it to Jimmy Wolf, he was so close on his 9's. I mean there were only 4 tricks in consideration & the others just came out ahead. And I thought boat driver was the most thankless job...
Old    wsrmatt            09-15-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
sorry stephan, it was just my personal opinion that Wes should have gotten third. I know double up contests are probably hard to judge and obviously i cant talk cuz i aint judging. i got another question though even though it doesnt matter cuz it didnt happen but what if chris landed his C7(backside rodeo 7) and jimmy wolf landed his toeside 9. who would have won in that case? now if you ask me that would be pretty hard to judge because that C7 there is only two people that do it in the world(chris and shane) but its only a 7 and the 9 theres probably 50 or more guys doing them. i asked chris why he didnt do his toe 9 on the dock and he just said he didnt have to cuz jimmy didnt land it and the backside 7 is alot harder anyway. how would that be judged comming from a judge?
Old     (scottay)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-15-2004, 12:28 PM Reply   
Well my memory sucks, my riding sucks, and i cant tell you what tricks they did but from a crowd pleasing standpoint the OHH was awesome, i figured Ricky won because he rode away from a good trick, Wolf tried hardest and had the longest fall ever ( he must have strong arms), Chris didnt seem to go that huge, maybe because he is such a big guy anyhow, and who tried that double tantrum? That was very cool to see. No dis-respect to the baumer, but his style is slow and spinnie, not real exciting to watch.
This is my opinion from a crowd pleasing standpoint, not technical at all. Isnt the D-up contest sposed to be more for fun anyhow? (and $$$)
And why was there such a long pause between riders during the d-up contest? And who was in the boat taking pics? And when can we see them? scott
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-15-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
That is a pretty hard decision. Probably Chris, I've seen video of him landing it and when he does it's clean. I guess it would have come down to who stuck it the cleanest. Jimmy was a lot closer to landing his 9's then Chris was to the C7. Just by the fact that only two riders can stick it obviously indicates that it's a harder trick, tough call. There was one long pause because the boat was low on gas so we poured 10 gallons in. Did anyone happen to see the sailboater that got clocked by his boats mast? He forgot to "prepare to come about". He was in the way but that had to hurt... As for the OHH vs the 5, I wrestled with it & didn't really make my decision 'til the end it was tough.
Old    cdubs            09-15-2004, 3:30 PM Reply   
Hey guys just sayin whats up. Hey matt that judging decision is really tough there. Wes's OHH was so sick but also its so hard to hit the double up switch toeside. I wanna give Wes mad props for trying the double tantrum. The last time he tried it was behind my boat and he ended up in the hospital and almost had his whole arm ripped off. His arm completely turned my handle(brand new accurate that day haha) into a U. I promise you he had some adrenaline cutting into that double up cuz his head was set on not trying that trick again for awhile after almost loosing his arm. I believe that was his second time out since the accident too. Also Ricky's moby dick off the dub was insane. I ride with him a bunch and ive never seen him do it close to that big. He was pumped. Anyway guys the comp was awesome and can't wait till next years. Later on.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-15-2004, 4:10 PM Reply   
TS C7 over TS 9 - by a nose.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-15-2004, 4:39 PM Reply   
C7 is HS basically an OA rodeo 7. It kinda resembles a moby dick until he does the rodeo part. Pretty frickin awesome.
Old    martini            09-15-2004, 5:10 PM Reply   
cdubs-

sounds like it was a great double up contest...

would like to have seen it first hand...

keep throwing that C7 as that is an amazing move...

-are you going to worlds???
Old    cdubs            09-16-2004, 12:21 PM Reply   
Hey Pete whats up. Na this year i havent really been riding any comps. Just been wakeboarding for fun and filming for a few vids going on trips and that kinda stuff. But yeah the C7 is basically in snowboard terms a backside rodeo 7. I was doing them for awhile on a snowboard and somehow crossed it over about three years back to the water. The 9 is real close also. Also wrapping up for these rodeo spins looks the best personally. If you come in wrapped blind to the double up you can method grab the entire spin and take it blind last second so it just looks like a big snowboard backside rodeo 5. Ive almost been ole'ing the second 360 from the wrapped C7 so that way you can method grab the entire 7 without ever letting go and no handle passing. Hopefully itll come soon cuz it feels almost like the snow.
Old    martini            09-16-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
love it! i can't wait to try it! and to see you stick it...sounds alot/reminds me of a peter line move on the snow...

anyway, keep up the good work...the westside really needs guys like you pushing our sport!

(Message edited by martini on September 16, 2004)