Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-10-2014, 3:19 PM Reply   
I need some help with removing hard water spots on my trucks windows without messing up the paint. I didn't really notice how bad it was until I had the rear window replaced last week and now the side windows really stand out. I used to have a bottle of Rain-X waterspot stuff but I can't find it for sale anymore.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-10-2014, 4:07 PM Reply   
If you can stand the smell, vinegar 100% solution has low enough pH to remove water spots without damage to paint. About 3 minute contact time with gentle agitation should do the trick. Gloves and Eye Protection Always Best.
Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-10-2014, 7:40 PM Reply   
What he said ^^

Straight vinegar should do the trick. If not, try diluting some muriatic (pool) acid with water in a sprayer bottle . If you go the muriatic acid route wear gloves and eye protection.

Wash it all down with plenty of water and rewax the painted areas and there should not be any ill effects on the paint.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-10-2014, 7:57 PM Reply   
All you need for outside and inside including glass, is this wash and wax detailer, and the blue bottle for the vinyl, except once in a while use la's totally awesome for tough vinyl stains.

Removes dirt & grime between washes
Removes spots and stains
Maintains a just washed look on all exterior surfaces
Can be used in direct sunlight and on glass
Won't leave a white residue
Patented formula has a unique combination of polymers and carnauba wax that helps water beading and shine
Attached Images

Last edited by scottb7; 03-10-2014 at 8:01 PM.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-10-2014, 8:28 PM Reply   
000 steel wool works too
Old     (steveo142)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-10-2014, 9:53 PM Reply   
#0000 steel wool dipped in paste wax, rub the glass like you are waxing it using moderate pressure. steel wool will not scratch glass but will take everything off of it. Makes the glass look brand new. Trick I learned as a kid working in the detail shop at a car dealership.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-11-2014, 5:33 AM Reply   
Yachtbrite Seroius Marine Cleaner - SMC and Yacthbrite serious shine will both remove water spots from glass, paint, fibergalss etc. Both can be used to clean all surfaces, paint, glass, fiberglass, vinyl, plastic etc. I have used both of these for years on my boats and cars and they are as advertised.

http://shurhold.com/chemicals/all-purpose-cleaners

Last edited by whiteflashwatersports1; 03-11-2014 at 5:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-11-2014, 6:21 AM Reply   
IMPORTANT STORY:
I have been a sales engineer for a global water treatment company for 24 years. My job is to prevent hard water deposits on industrial heat exchangers and to remove any existing deposits. The heat exchangers often look like the little transmission cooler on our boats, but at work they are the size of boats. Sometimes, mistakes get made, budget gets cut, or a malfunction, and a system gets fouled with massive hard water scale. We get called in to clean them.

I have been formulating a marine water spot remover for over 10 years. Compatibility to UV protection for fiberglass and Corrosion to metal are obstacles with all the stainless, galvanized, anodized, powder coated, especially billet aluminum on our boats. Additionally, odor is major obstacle to most, especially, if it stinks up a towel in the back of the truck.

Last summer I hit a home run on the formulation. I will be bringing it to market in 2014 and will be personally manufacturing the product to help keep the formula proprietary. Because I know this will be used by professionals, I am now going thru the steps to author Safety Data Sheets to comply with OSHA. I cannot disclose any more details at this time. I'm stoked to be able to bring it to you.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-11-2014, 7:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsupralaunch View Post
IMPORTANT STORY:
I have been a sales engineer for a global water treatment company for 24 years. My job is to prevent hard water deposits on industrial heat exchangers and to remove any existing deposits. The heat exchangers often look like the little transmission cooler on our boats, but at work they are the size of boats. Sometimes, mistakes get made, budget gets cut, or a malfunction, and a system gets fouled with massive hard water scale. We get called in to clean them.

I have been formulating a marine water spot remover for over 10 years. Compatibility to UV protection for fiberglass and Corrosion to metal are obstacles with all the stainless, galvanized, anodized, powder coated, especially billet aluminum on our boats. Additionally, odor is major obstacle to most, especially, if it stinks up a towel in the back of the truck.

Last summer I hit a home run on the formulation. I will be bringing it to market in 2014 and will be personally manufacturing the product to help keep the formula proprietary. Because I know this will be used by professionals, I am now going thru the steps to author Safety Data Sheets to comply with OSHA. I cannot disclose any more details at this time. I'm stoked to be able to bring it to you.
So when do we get some samples of this product?
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       03-11-2014, 8:16 AM Reply   
Pretty much any good spray auto detailer will be safe for glass, just use a damp microfiber towel and wipe the water spots off the glass as you do the rest of the vehicle. I use Meguiar's detailer.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-11-2014, 8:44 AM Reply   
Denatured alcohol!
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-11-2014, 10:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
So when do we get some samples of this product?
It will be at your dealer/pro shops/very soon. But sooner in Knoxville as extensive testing has already been done there.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-11-2014, 11:49 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone. I think I am going to try the vinegar and then steel wool if it doesnt work. They are really on there and won't come off with a regular detail spray.

Chris- when your product is ready I would like to buy some. Hard water spots are a problem here in the Northwest.
Old     (drive139)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-11-2014, 4:25 PM Reply   
I have used his product extensively over the last year on my boat and I have to say it is hands down the best product I have ever used. It is the absolute best mix of a quick detailer and water spot remover that will leave your boat shiny and spot free. It works streak free on gelcoat, windows, trailer, wheels, ect.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-11-2014, 5:53 PM Reply   
Chris Walker.... Sweet... I expect a sample on the west coast on my black boat.....

For now though Darrin you can check out Auto Magic Hard Water Spot Remover. Dealers typically work with Auto Magic. I have a gallon of it, if you make it back to Portland soon to work with Norhtwest Boat Sports you can bring a spray bottle and steal some. My guess is NWBS has some too cause Pat introduced it to me years ago. It works, but there is some elbow grease and following instructions.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       03-13-2014, 10:15 AM Reply   
+3 on the 0000 steel wool. I hadn't thought about using it with a paste wax...that should be even better. There us also a product by Meguiars called water spot remover that works well too.

see http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...googleproducts

I have seen some really bad spots on auto glass...had them on the rear window of my last truck. Vinegar would not do a thing.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-13-2014, 1:11 PM Reply   
Hey Diggs, I will definitely stop by. We should be coming through PDX on the way to Shasta this year (if they get any effing water – 179ft down a friend told me yesterday). I also have to stop by and see Brian and the Exile guys for a checkup and tune on my stereo.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-13-2014, 1:50 PM Reply   
Rinse and then 50/50 vinegar solution before wipedown every time.
Old     (rcazwillis)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-13-2014, 2:01 PM Reply   
Don't use steel wool on mirrors. Something is different about the glass. It will scratch it. Works great on all other glass.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-13-2014, 3:50 PM Reply   
1 more for steel wool and 1 more for don't use it on mirrors. Using it with wax is fine but, not necessary. It's also much more messy. I wax the windows after, taking care not to hit the rubbers. Simple Windex thinned down to around 20/1 is fine. Keep the glass good and wet. Scrub em up. Rinse. Wax. Done.

I'd be interested in that new product, Chris. Any idea how it will react with vinyl?
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       03-15-2014, 7:37 PM Reply   
Just did this on my Dad's rear windows on his chevy silverado today. The crew cab rear windows that are tinted, really had bad water spots. I used 0000 steel wool and a little turtle wax liquid wax. Came right off with a little elbow grease. I will try it with the windex next time.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-15-2014, 10:00 PM Reply   
I had the worst water spots, used malco water spot remover, it is incredible.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...ighlight=malco
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-16-2014, 6:58 AM Reply   
I can only find the Auto Magic stuff in 2 sizes. 5 or 55 gallons. That's quite a bit more than I need. Anyone know if this could be purchased in a spray bottle size?
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-16-2014, 10:21 AM Reply   
You could always call around to your local detail shops and see if they'll sell you a bottle full.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-16-2014, 11:31 AM Reply   
I use a very mild rubbing compound on mine. (Liquid compound) Rub lightly with a micro towel or application pad and it works every time. Not a single scratch on my windows from it. Take the water spots off like nothing. I do it to my cars as well. It takes all the dirt and grim that builds up that you can't see and makes the windows like factory new. My 2 cents.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-17-2014, 2:33 PM Reply   
I use vinegar for cleaning everything. It does a good job on everything as well. I also recommend it. Getting a spray bottle to put it in is a good tool for cleaning around the house in general too.
Old     (davesetter)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-17-2014, 7:14 PM Reply   
Redsupralaunch if your product will keep my aluminum board racks looking nice put me down. When can I get some?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk