Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       09-13-2012, 2:00 PM Reply   
So there are caves in my city where you can store boats and it stays in the upper 50s at the lowest. I dont think i need to winterize the engine. but is there anything you would recommend doing? I cant imagine lake water sitting in it over the winter is good.

thoughts?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-13-2012, 2:12 PM Reply   
umm huh? drain the block, fog it, etc etc. dont even risk it winterizing is relatively painless
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-13-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
Winterizing takes like two hours..... don't see why you wouldn't do it.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-13-2012, 2:24 PM Reply   
Please still winterize it..pull engine plugs, drain all water lines and ballast, treat your gas, it will go bad in a month... FOG! You fog to keep the cylinders from rusting... Dry it out as much as possible..clean it and check your oil for water if your not changing it... . Do you really want to take that chance with the expensive boats we own??
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-13-2012, 3:28 PM Reply   
Still should do the basics. Stabil the tank and run it after so it gets thru the fuel system. Drain the block and leave the plugs out. Add antifreeze to the block if you like. Some do some don't. I always change the oil in the fall because it has acids and contamination in it I don't want sitting in my engine all winter. Fogging is another good idea but many don't. Alot of the winterizing is done because you aren't going to use it for a few months, not just because its going to be below freezing. Another good idea is to leave all compartments open and get a can of damp rid. Also I use fresh cab which smells bad to the rodents(smells like pine) and keeps them out. I would worry about the bats in MO caves.
Old     (skippabcool)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-13-2012, 3:58 PM Reply   
Another vote for winterizing / treating for a long period of no use. Easy to do and why risk it. I knew of a boat that wasn't winterized and over time the plugs rusted to the block which equaled a new block.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       09-13-2012, 4:16 PM Reply   
My vote is for change the oil and use it at least once a month. That's what wetsuits and dry suits are for ...
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-13-2012, 4:46 PM Reply   
I agree with you Dax..but for us way north the water turns solid from December-March so we have to winterize!! Would love to ride year round. I personally ride from a few weeks after ice out till freeze up. I have ridden before with ice on part of the lake.
Old     (93rx7)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-17-2012, 6:57 AM Reply   
It takes a little time to winterize properly (by adding antifreeze). Maybe 2 hours your first time.

But this practice will prevent a cracked block. Worth it to me.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-18-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippabcool View Post
Another vote for winterizing / treating for a long period of no use. Easy to do and why risk it. I knew of a boat that wasn't winterized and over time the plugs rusted to the block which equaled a new block.
You need to use brass plugs in marine blocks that are raw water cooled. Even if the plugs rusted and destroyed the threads you can chase with an NPT tap or drill and tap larger. SBC and SBF have plenty of meat in the drain plug/freeze plug area. Something doesn't add up about your story, sounds like an old wives tale.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-18-2012, 2:38 PM Reply   
Mercs use plastic plugs so they don't rust in.
Old    9Drozd            09-18-2012, 3:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Mercs use plastic plugs so they don't rust in.
They still use brass core plugs. If your talking about the plastic blue wing-nut plugs for the block and manifolds, then yes you are correct. On a side note, they are the worst to get out when both plastic tabs break off.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-19-2012, 10:34 PM Reply   
I use mine year round in Nor Cal.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-20-2012, 8:07 AM Reply   
Jess,

If your impeller sits in one position for a long time, there is a good chance it will fail the next season. You don't want it to fail when you are underway, even if you carry a replacement! Think of where all the pieces of plastic/rubber will go and get stuck. This is why most engine manufacturers recommend they be taken out and replaced every year!

The water from many sources is very hard (full of minerals) and waiting to solidify in your engine's block, hoses and fittings! Think about what happens to a hot-water tank over time. Even if you do not drain it, a flush with clean, soft water will help. Add some environmental anti-freeze and your engine will thank you.

Fuel needs to be stabilized or drained, especially from carburetors. Your injectors will thank you for some stabilizer or cleaner.

Put it in cave storage, but take 30 minutes to do the above.