Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sunsport22v)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-05-2011, 5:26 PM Reply   
I have been struggling for hours in my new 2011 Wakesteer 247 with the Malview and Rockford factory installed stereo. The a.m. and f.m. radio work great, but sound horrible. I can plug in my iPhone, iPad, iPod devices into the 3.5mm plug and everything plays, but when I use the apple USB cable with my devices the Rockford stereo does not do anything. The iPods say do not remove and are charging, my iPhone and iPad makes the connection sound then disconnect sound then the connection sound repeatedly. On the screen (Malview) it says USB RD. And the RD is flashing. I turned the batteries off and back on for an attempt at a reset, but that did not work. I changed cables but that did not work. I left my iPod plug in for 38 minutes (started my iPhone timer), but that did not work either.

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Also, I have noticed that the Malview displays all the functions of the Rockford remote, but the Rockford remote does not display anything. I see the backlight on the remote is on, but there is nothing displayed. The remote does operate the radio and volume controls without a hitch.

Last edited by sunsport22v; 08-05-2011 at 5:28 PM.
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-05-2011, 5:50 PM Reply   
We took out the whole JBL system in our 2009 VLX for the same reason. Went with a Kenwood 700U.
The stock setup is a pretty crappy system and not very ipod friendly. I lost the Maliview function for the stereo controls but dont really miss it.
Old     (sunsport22v)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-05-2011, 6:12 PM Reply   
I just picked up the boat last week, my wife will kill me if I pull it out and drop some more coin on a new stereo. I just want the iPod to play. I know Rockford is garbage, but for a boat of this price, I expect the stereo to last at least one season.
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-06-2011, 7:07 AM Reply   
You have to use the round plug , not the usb plug fore your ipod. The usb plug is for diognostics ore something. the round plug is in the glovebox. your rockford head unit will display songs, let you choose play lists, ect. you also can use the malaview to do this. This system is way better than the jbl black box in the older boats. Dont know why they use the round plug instead of a usb. My complaint is that there is no cd player. cd sound quality is better than compressed Ipod signal
Old     (sunsport22v)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-06-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
Thanks. I spoke with my dealer this morning and they pointed out that they did not give me the cable. They are going to mail one next week.

I agree CDs sound better but the ease and amount of music the iPod stores is hard to beat. Plus at 50 feet behind the boat I can't tell the difference.
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-08-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
The USB connection in the glovebox is not for diagnostics. There is a USB connection under the dash for that.
The one in the glovebox is designed to work with the Flashdrive you should of got in your boat bag. I was able to get mine to work before we removed the whole system with certain older ipods but it did not work with my newer ipod and I am certain that it wont work with the ipad either. I was told that it had something to do with the rights that were purchased through Apple.
The flashdrive option works pretty well and before we took the system out I found myself using that option more than anything due to the frustrations.

I fully understand Martin on the cost of the boat and that this should work properly. I suffered through it the first year with this boat and then took it all out as my winter project.
Old     (sunsport22v)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-08-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
By putting in the ken wood 700u, did you loose the video functionality of the malview? Vidoe functionally of plugging in a camcorder and viewing that on the display?

To be honest, I am not 100% certain I will every use the display for video, but I like the thought that I could. Also, by pulling you the Rockford, what happens when you push the media button on the malview? I was out on the water yesterday and was frustrate as $#%^ bring to get the Rockford to work.
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-08-2011, 4:24 PM Reply   
Yes, we lost the video function as far as connecting it to the inputs in the glovebox. I guess if this option is really important to you you can connect to the input panel under the dash. I messed around with it and could get a video to run off my ipod by doing this but it wasnt worth permanently installing for this option.

With our system the media option does nothing on the Maliview. The 700U controls the ipod very well and I actually prefer to have the only control to the volume. Although I did install the remote on the transom which does get used but very little with how we use the boat.

[
Old     (sunsport22v)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-08-2011, 9:02 PM Reply   
That looks pretty good. Being new to Malibu - what is the device about the kenwood? I ordered the Kenwood from Crutchfield today.

My frustrations with the Rockford were unbearable this weekend. That thing is a POS (not parents over shoulder!).

I am a little concerned with the install. I noticed over the weekend that not all my speakers were playing. I think I might need to take the boat in for warranty work first, get all the speakers working, and then install the Kenwood. I do not want to get into the situation that the install of the Kenwood gets the blame for the other speakers not working. I suspect the reason is that the balance or fader is not set correctly, but the Rockford is to hard to figure out how to change those settings AND the fact that my Rockford display shows nothing. Is there a way on the Rockford to adjust the LCD Contrast? I see how to adjust the backlight, but the backlight is not my issue or does anyone have any suggestions on troubleshooting the speakers without the Rockford?
Old     (sunsport22v)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-09-2011, 7:33 PM Reply   
Does the Kenwood KMR-700U work with an iPhone 4?