Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (slinky)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-28-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
Who has the best saltwater package (durability, reliability, etc.)? We are looking at either a SAN 230, Wakesetter LSV, or X-Star (unless somebody has some far better suggestions) With this size of a purchase and the harsh environment I could really use some insight and encouragement on writing the check! Right now it is a toss up between the SAN 230 & the LSV... Thanks in advance for the help!!!!
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-28-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
MC - CSX is another great option
Old    mojo            06-28-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
what type of salt water? out in the ocean/beach area or just a brackishy river? if it's the first one go with a csx salt series. if it's the 2nd get yourself a nautique coastal edition. www.pleasurecraft.com check the crusader engines and then go to nauiques's page and check the coastal edition with linc system.
Old     (slinky)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-28-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
It will be a little brackish river riding and a bit of bay riding as well...
Old     (gulfshoresmarina)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-28-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
MasterCraft makes the best saltwater boats hands down. I do all of my boating/riding in saltwater and most of my customers use there boats in saltwater. Of all the inboard boats we service MasterCraft's hold up the best, for sure.
Old     (floatingguru)      Join Date: May 2010       06-28-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
There is a huge difference in saltwater series boats from wake boat companies. Every company that makes a salt-water series by adding fresh water cooling is not truly a salt water boat. Look closely.

I spent the better part of my life on offshore boats. If you look at the hull design and hardware, our industry needs a schooling.

Look at Mastercraft. They changed the hull design to include flutes from tip to tail; making the boat ride easier in rough water; including a huge reverse chine that diverts water away from the hull in rough conditions. Also, the cut-a-ways on the side of the hull are taken from the Contender and like offshore fishing boats. It diverts the water away from the hull instead of it sucking to the hull and causing the passengers in the back seat to get wet in minimal roughness. both of these features are also backed up with hardware.

The only company that has non-corrosive hardward to back up the fresh water cooling is Mastercraft (others are not using the same grade). Not just the CSX series, but the X-Star, X-35, and X-80 salt water series all have the non-corrosive hardware. It will double the life of a motor-mount. I would put it against any other hardware. Again, nothing new; offshore boats have done it for decades. The Saltwater and air eats boats. If you put a regular hardware inboard in the ocean air alone (on the trailer), you can see significant corrosion on the hardware with in weeks. Look at motor mounts, and all the engine hardware...its almost immediate.

Go by any offshore fishing dealers and look at the boats...then go find an inboard that really did their homework...

Enjoy your day and push away from the dock to find yourself. Todd Weatherill the Floating Guru

For more info: Todd Weatherill http://thirdcoastyachtsales.blogspot.com/

www.toddweatherill.com

They have the only real salt-water boat. Motor mounts, hardware, bolting, and washers are all non-corrosive.
Old     (slinky)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-28-2010, 10:37 PM Reply   
I have been under the impression that nautique and malibu are the best made product currently and mastercraft has headed south (worried about bling and riding on name)... I can attest to this in my fresh water ventures (I personally like both the wakes and handling characteristics of the SAN & BU but I am NOT trying to start a war). I guess I am quite biased and have gone into this search with that in mind as well as the fact that Mastercraft has done very well from a marketing perspective on the SS... At the end of the day I just want to make a smart purchase no matter the manufacturer. I really dont think I can go wrong with any of them! Mastercraft has made its way back into the lead pack! Thanks again for any further insight!
Old     (floatingguru)      Join Date: May 2010       06-28-2010, 11:07 PM Reply   
First, I offer nothing but stoke that you are passionate about boats...

Both those boats are fine boats, have great people working for them, and I trust the dealers they chose in my area.

Correct Craft, Malibu, and Mastercraft are leaders in how they build boats.

I would own any of the three if I lived inland. I don't...

But let's be serious. Don't compare a fresh water boat with anything from the salt. If you don't know that...you live inland. Huge difference in wear and tear. It has nothing to do with brand. It has everything to do with the grade of non-corrossive materials and hardware they use. Period. Anyone can make a fresh water cooled engine or closed cooled boat. Making a saltwater boat means you change everything. A non-corrosive screw for a salt water boat is almost three times as much in cost because it is superior for that condition. If you don't use it, your boat will start to deteriorate much faster. I have been in both climates (fresh and salt) my entire life and watched boats age in completely different timeframes. It is a real difference.

If I was buying a fresh water boat there are so many alternatives and great brands I would consider. Whether a company is doing well in a bad economy or paying too much attention to bling (where did that come from?) has nothing to do with whether they picked the right materials to build a salt-water boat. Nor does how many boats a brand sells.

When I go to the ocean, I would choose a Mako Inboard 26' made in 1983. It has the best materials for the hostile salt environment, the best wake, the best rough water handling, and is trusted offshore...but they stopped making that boat three decades ago.

There is only one new inboard boat making a true salt-water series...come on tell the truth...its Mastercraft.

Every boat company has a feature or a technology that makes it stand out. Mastercraft has done that in Saltwater. At least give them their due on that subject.

Last edited by floatingguru; 06-28-2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-29-2010, 6:49 AM Reply   
I have the master craft x star ss, and i love it. Very reliable every thing is holding up pretty well. I ride in bay water only. Its actually on a lift at my house over bay water. Just flush it out every time, and wash the boat down with fresh water. The only thing about the x star is that chop kills it. So if your in rough water maybe the LSV i better for you. Im pretty sure you wont be upset which ever boat you choose.
Old    mojo            06-29-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
the crusader engine in the coastal edition nautiques is a full closed cooling system as opposed to the traditional partially closed system. they also use corrosive resistant engine mounts, and other hardware. im biased because i had a crap mc that i bought new and horrible service and now own a nautique. if buying a new boat i would look to ones who use pcm. the coastal edition also has an enclosed, lubed steering cable. a company that's been around 85 years is a nice thing to know when buying a boat.
Old     (forensic_scientist)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-29-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
I have a 2007 MasterCraft SS X-15 and it has been great. We use it in both fresh and salt water, and our salt water is the Puget Sound in Washington, which is pretty harsh. So far there aren't any signs of rust or corrosion around the motor or any of the metal parts. The ride quality is also better because of the hull design compared to an X-Star, which, like Parker's comment, is brutal if you get into any chop as it is made truly for wakeboarding only on nice water. My 2 cents for what it's worth (probably only about 2 cents!)
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-29-2010, 10:31 AM Reply   
it seems like every brand specific thread gets plenty of ATTENTION! I'M glad to see so many passionate boaters out there.
Old    usfhookup            06-29-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
Dont buy a Malibu for saltwater!!!!!!!!!!!! You will hate your life.
I would go anything Mastercraft... the figured out long ago that people put these boats in both salt and fresh and they build their boats to withstand both.
I have heard Tige does a good job as well.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-29-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
Not sure if Dom or KKO are on here but they service boats in and out of salt water and that includes all models. They may have some insight. They are located in St Petersburg Florida.
Old    mojo            06-29-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
i wouldn't call 06 or 07 a long time ago
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-30-2010, 7:37 PM Reply   
I had a 38' Hatteras and I washed it down with fresh water after every outing. The saltwater / air just kills things, including the paint on the side of a beach house, your nice car in the drive way, etc. If I was living at the beach now I wouldn't have a wakeboard boat even if it was a MC saltwater series. It would be a true offshore boat that can take it and I'd make do.... or just fish.
Old     (craig_f)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-30-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
Yep, I think that your best bet is to find the best INDEPENDENT inboard repair shop in your area and ask them, it's the guys who have to work on a 5 year old boat that is out of warranty that might have a good idea who builds a good boat for salt. All I can say is I remember running raw-water cooled boats in salt a decade ago and it was a constant nightmare.
Old     (slinky)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-01-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
I will have to find some local inboard service centers. Does anyone have a list of the non-corrosive hardware that each manufacturer uses for their salt editions? All of the websites are pretty vague and just hit the highlights.... Keep the informative posts coming! Thanks!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-01-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
I have an X-15SS that is only used in brackish water. It sits on a lift all year over the water. All we do is flush the system and wash the boat down with salt away or somehtign like that. Sometimes just water. Been doing this since 2008 and we have very little corrosion. The only thing that has shown some corrosion in the instrument panel. All the beveling and lines carved intol the aluminum is tough to clean properly.

The closed cooling system gave me some problems at first. we ended up have an air bubble in the loop which caused it to overheat., Once we figured that out we have been problem free since, KNock on wood!!

Good luck witht he purchase, I would go with MC if your boating in salt,.
Old     (slinky)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-02-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
Are there any SAN coastal edition owners out there? Any ideas on Tige? They have made some great strides recently...
Old    mojo            07-02-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
go to planetnautique.com for san questions, but i don't know of anyone with a coastal edition, but they have the knowledge on the boat. i can tell you i run an 05 sante in brackish, as does a friend. we both have closed cooling and flush kit. two other friends have an 08 and 09 in brackish. i wouldn't let it hold you back. if i was buying new i'd go for coastal edition over just closed cooled with flush, but salt has not created issues. plus you get a linc system with coastal.