Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (chevy2kss)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-13-2009, 11:18 PM Reply   
im new to this board, i used to have a ski centurion elite warrior 3 years back let it go for new baby fund and new house. now im ready to jump back into a new boat. so im debating between the mc x15 vs. the malibu vlx what are your opinions of the two models?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-14-2009, 6:01 AM Reply   
X-15.

Super nice boat inside and out, nice wake, I would say the 2nd best to the X-star

MY neighgbor has a VLX, I do not like the wake, the rest of the boat is nice, but the wake is not for me.... but others swear by it so who knows.

anyways, X-15 is my vote.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-14-2009, 6:03 AM Reply   
hmmm, have you tried out "insert unmentioned boat model here" yet? that is the BEST choice... haha. just kidding man.

Both are nice, have fun.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-14-2009, 6:10 AM Reply   
Both are nice boats I test drove both last year
The MC is higher and roomier the Bu puts out a great wake-board wake. You must test both and see which one serves your needs. I chose the CC210 because it also puts out a ski wake as well as board and surf wakes.
Good Luck with your search.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-14-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
It all depends on what you are looking for in a boat.They all have a nice wake,but if you want a really good massive wake then go with the vlx.You,ll need extra fatsacks as in any boat.
The x-15 is higher and roomier as stated above and you can hide some sacks underneath the seats.

for wake go vlx for extra ballast/storage go x15
performance is equal depends on prop size.
I,ve had a few vlx and my buddy a x-15.I didn,t like the wake as much as the vlx ,wich doesn,t mean it wasn,t good.
But we both have x-stars now we don,t have a family anyway,..it,s wakeboarding that counts.

If you are looking for an alround boat with kids etc.Go X-15.

test them both and good luck,i hope my post was helpfull.
Old     (chevy2kss)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-14-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
thank you everyone for your insight im leaning toward the x15 im going to demo the x15 may 2 at orwood resort, i need to find a demo day for the malibu. Now one other question is there a real difference between the 07 vs 08,09 in the x15 local dealer still has 07's wrapped new and i could get really good deal on it
Old     (libertylake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-14-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
Only difference between 07's to 08/09 is the Vdig system. Basically a digital gauge in the middle of your dash. A nice feature, but not worth having if you're going to get big savings on a 2007. Also in 09 they added an additional 300lbs of stock ballast. In regards to your decision, I think the wake is similar on both. There is a little more vertical lip on the VLX, but that is about it. The big difference for me was the interior space of the X15, awsome for a 21 footer.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-15-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
Both are great.
I think they line up very well in most aspects, wake, size, etc.
The biggest difference I saw follows:
IMO, the Malibu is a bit more plush inside and the X-15 seems a lot more durable/commercial grade.

If you use the boat in salt water, MC has been on top of that for a lot longer than any other wakeboare boat - with their Salt Water Series.
Old     (wakecourage)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-15-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
VLX has a much better wake!!! Fit and finish both are nice. Iam just sold on the VLX wake
Old     (hdchapman)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-15-2009, 8:03 PM Reply   
I looked at both last year and went with the VLX for a bunch of reasons. Both are good boats and you will have a blast with either one. Price being equal I would ride behind and them go with whichever dealer you feel most comfortable with. Enjoy!
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-15-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
wake=vlx
ride=vlx
handling=vlx
Plus IMPO if you want to sell it a few yrs. down the road a lot more people will be looking for a vlx over the X-15
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-16-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
wake on vlx no doubt
interior vlx
exterior and look mc
performance vlx
all depends on what you want
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-20-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
Both are GREAT boats. The build quality of both boats are pretty equal. Malibu seems to have every surface of the interior covered in vinyl or carpet and MC has more exposed fiberglass. The storage in the X-15 is Huge. From sitting inside the X-15 seems like a much bigger boat. Many agree that the wake is better on the VLX but unless you are well above amature level do not base your decision on the wake IMO. Upload
Upload
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-20-2009, 11:39 PM Reply   
I Love my VLX the fit and finish is what sold me. It feels like I'm in a luxury car the interior is appointed so nice. The wake is great and Malibu has been right there whenever I needed anything. I couldn't say anything bad about the MasterCraft, they look like nice boats as well. I think what it comes down to and most people here have already said it get what appeals to you! After all none of us are going to make payments for you.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-21-2009, 6:40 AM Reply   
VLX!!!!!!!
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-21-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
09 VLX is an incredible boat.
Old     (family_deckhand)      Join Date: May 2008       04-21-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
Went through the same decision last year and ended up with the x-15. I went in thinking I would get the VLX and ended up deciding on the x-15 for a number of reasons. They are both great boats and you can't go wrong with either one.

Quality is the same for the most part once you start talking about this level of boat.

It’s all the detail stuff, looks, fit for your usage, etc. that you need to decide on.

For me I like the feel of the x-15. It has a large interior. I can put 8-10 people in it with all the gear and toys and you are not cramped.

Prefer the x-15 tower over the vlx. Its taller and the bimini is easy to set up and take down. I also like the swivel racks and the latch down holeders on the racks.

I didn't care for all the vinyl and wall-to-wall carpeting in the vlx. Many like this and that's cool. I felt over time this could look bad and not be easy to clean and maintain. The vlx I test drove had a nick in the transom walkway vinyl and the interior carpeting had dirt stains in it. The stains are probably easy to clean out but it just didn't sit well with me. Seemed like a glimpse into the future. Much of this is probably more of a dealer presentation thing.

Good luck. You are lucky to have this kind of decision to make! I know for me it was great fun.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-21-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
If you guys are saying the VLX wake is better, then you haven't ridden a properly weighted X15. They both have fantastic wakes. The 15 wake is very similar to the VLX when weighted. In fact, I'd say it's almost as good as a X-star and better than the star if they're not weighted heavily.

The 15 is also a huge boat inside. Lots of room and lots of storage.

Marcos, shoot me a PM about the 15. I can get you out for a private demo in one without any of the pressure that a sales guy will put on you. I'll be at Orwood for the May 2 demo days working with CWB. If there are any questions that I can answer, let me know. I've spent a ton of time in both of these boats. Most of the guys in this thread are dead on. Both great boats. It really comes down to personal opinion and what kind of deal you can get.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-21-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
if you get the 15 make sure you get the trim tab...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2009, 5:54 PM Reply   
^^^No way in the world the vlx wake could be better than the x-15.
Old     (chevy2kss)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-21-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
Now my decision is down to the deal i can get on a boat.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-22-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
Marcos,

You might be interested in Malibu's Factory Spring Break Boatshow

http://www.malibuboats.com/springbreak/springbreakca.html