Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-09-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
I am pretty sure i have shin splints. 15 minutes into my sets now my shins begin to hurt a little and by 25 minutes in it is almost unbearable and gets even worse when i get out of the water. I have found that regular ibuprofen helps a little but am not ready to have to stop riding for a while as I am finally progressing this season and after being out all last season from my back surgery I would be bummed if I had another injury sideline me.

Has anyone else dealt with/dealing with is problem. Everything I have read on it says to hold off on activity and ice it down after activity if you must do activity. I know someone who gets them from running and he said he normally just changes his shoes and it solves the problem. Could it possibly be a binding issue. I just got a new pair of shanes, but came from shanes, except i went from OT to CT.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-09-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
shin splints suck donkey ballz! do ice massage's - take some paper cups fill them with water and put them in the freezer. when your ready to do some icing, just tear off the top half of the paper cup and then rub your shins with them.

mine usually last for a few weeks. i don't think youll do any more damage if you keep riding...you just gotta deal with the pain.

no medical degree here or anything. just from my experiences, and my 2 cents.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-09-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
find someone who does Active release therapy in your area. it's a 10 to 15 minute fix. wont go away without it. well the pain might go away but the problem will still be there. after treatment do some strength exercise for the anterior tibialis.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-10-2009, 4:22 AM Reply   
I found stretching my calf muscles and shins seem to really help. I had then so bad about 5 years ago I couldn't even walk without being in huge amounts of pain. Once I started stretching they went away and I haven't had them since.

I usually leave one foot flat on the floor and lean forward onto the couch or table. Lean as far forward as I can and let it stretch the calf muscle. Then while I'm doing this I take my other foot and put the top of my foot facing down to try to stretch the shin out at the same time. Hopefully it will help you, it's all that's worked for me. I do it every time before I ride along with my other stretches.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-10-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
im having this problem too im gonna try the ice messages. what is active release therapy michael?
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-10-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
John, you brought up a good point. I wonder if you are using your toes more, pressing on the inside of you binding to control your movements, now that you have a closed-toe binding. I wonder if this could be leading to your pain.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-10-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
Michael - I also would like to know what active release therapy is. Going to use the paper cup trick to ice it down and start stretching it more.
Old     (suthaforce)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-10-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
Not to jack the thread, but I am experiencing the same but not sure if its splints or not. I am pretty sure I injured it landing really tail heavy on TS frontrolls. I have the same symptoms as DeeCee, but the pain is on the outside of my legs, and is even tender to touch. Im using Shane CT bindings also.

Any ideas of what it could be, or should i just write it off as splints and keep riding?
Old     (jiicon)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-10-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
you guys need to do reverse calve raises. stand on a block or some stairs with your heels and let ur toes point down and raise them up high do this tell they burn and the mucsle by the shine bone gets tight if you strangthen that muscle it will get better and soon will go away. I had them did these and they are gone. goodluck
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-10-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
http://www.activerelease.com/

its a patented, copyrighted, trademarked way of treating injuries. in colorado, before back surgery, people are now required to try ART 1st and see if that gets rid of the problem before surgery.

not a fan of ice after the 1st 24 hours of initial injury. Eastern medicine and Osteopaths do not use ice. the ice constricts the tissue. if you live or have been anywhere were it's really cold, and you go outside without a jacket, you automatically stiffen up (or cold water). well, ice does that to the injured tissue, which is fine in the 1st 24 hours to keep swelling down. but after that, the stiffening prevents nutrients from getting into the tissue to heal. ive heard of people using ice on the same injury for years. well that tells me, the problem is still there........ you have to fix the problem and not treat the symptoms....
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-10-2009, 9:22 PM Reply   
Stand next to a wall and use the wall to keep your balance while you do toe raises. I dont think i need to explain how you do them cause its pretty self explanatory. Just keep your heel on the floor, and lift both feet up. Do a bunch of reputitions/sets of those and i PROMISE you will get rid of them. Just make sure you keep doing those! I had terrible shin splints playing football and running track and field in high school, and nothing cured them faster than simple toe raises. Toe raises hurt and they feel like your muscle is going to cramps, but keep doing it.

P.S. Never heard of shin splints from any kind of board sport let alone wakeboarding....that sucks