Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old    260searay            07-25-2005, 5:08 PM Reply   
I have been riding at 8 degrees ducked and one hole from being all the way out on my sphynx bindings. My back leg always gets fatigue and today is so cramped like a charley hourse i had to icy hot it and ace bandage it. would riding less ducked or moving them out all the way be a good idea? I am 6'1 208.
Old    wickedwake            07-25-2005, 5:31 PM Reply   
Im 5'10 and ride all the way out on my 142 Transcend. I always ride all the ways out. Duck your stance out more, maybe like 10-12, less duck than 8 wouldnt feel right.
Old     (gypsy12)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-25-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
We had a discussion about the width of my stance this weekend, and opinions varied. I've only been riding since last summer and not doing a whole lot. Anyway, I am only 5'4" and I ride a 140 Premier... I have my stance all the way out. Someone suggested I move it in. Can anyone elaborate on the pros & cons of wide vs. narrow stance in accordance to my height and board size?
Old    wickedwake            07-25-2005, 6:30 PM Reply   
Pontiac says "wider is better"
And I agree. Wider stances gives you more much more control. Wider stance also increases your chance for knee injuries. Those are the main pro's and con's. I ride all the way out for the control.
Now how wide is too wide? Im not sure, but Tara you might be borderline, unless you have pretty long legs for a 5'4 frame.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-25-2005, 7:15 PM Reply   
I am 5'8 on a prodigy 140. I ride all the way out with a slight duck. Not much because I am flat footed and kind of pigeon toed.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-25-2005, 7:59 PM Reply   
Clay - I don't think there has been a study done on what width and/or angle increases your risk for knee injury.

Tara - you are riding way too wide. Bring 'em in a hole.

Chris - think about this: I'm 5'9" ride a substance 138, all the way out, with 18 degrees of duck on both the front and back. I think 15 on both feet would be a good starting point.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       07-26-2005, 1:43 PM Reply   
Tara - Best stance for you is what feels confortable. I just suggested coming in a hole or two because I like a narrower stance. If you have only evey tried all the way out you should try one or two holes in. Find what is best for you. Then ride and have fun. That is what it is all about.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-26-2005, 3:26 PM Reply   
i ride all the way out, but still looking for a good duck degree, i've been slowly moving them in and in, less duck and my knee has been feeling better and better, too much duck can strain your knee's in the back outside veins (the things that are similar to the "11's" in the back of your neck). too little will hurt the insides and give you no control and bad landings.
Old    bigwake5            07-26-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
how do the degrees work how can you find out how many degrees you ride at? sry im kinda new to the sport and am learning everyday
Old    wickedwake            07-26-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
LF bindings with the FAST system have 2 degree increments do you can dial it in. Other than that im sure some are geussing, haha
Old    bigwake5            07-26-2005, 5:54 PM Reply   
o so each hole is about 2 degrees
Old    wickedwake            07-26-2005, 6:36 PM Reply   
they have a baseplate that can loosend up and adjusted very FAST, no holes to mess with. Just loosen the cams up and pull up and twist. Easy as pie
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-26-2005, 8:37 PM Reply   
Hayden - on your '03 Ultra Suctions, I would say that if you move one hole either way on the inside or outside of the baseplate, it would be an adjustment of approximately 3 degrees. With your boots you probably have an adjustment range of 42 +/- degrees.
Old     (gypsy12)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-01-2005, 12:44 PM Reply   
I moved my bindings in one hole yesterday (had them all the way out before) and was pleasantly surprised to notice that it actually feels better for my feet! I was getting some numbness in my toes, and kept thinking I needed to adjust the overlays on my Zeus bindings, but it turns out that the bindings are fine. Bringing them in a bit makes a difference in some kind of pressure point on my feet or something, and I can ride longer now! Yay!

(Message edited by gypsy12 on August 01, 2005)
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-01-2005, 1:09 PM Reply   
Tara, don't be afraid to move one more in and then back out to get a good feel of the different riding positions.

Old    robertt            08-01-2005, 1:15 PM Reply   
I am 6'5" with 38" inseam....one would assume that the widest holes (farthest spread) should be used for me because I am at the outside edge of the body design parameters.

Also, I took my fins off and LOVED it.

Then, I went out with a Nick and Julz....and they suggested the opposite. They strongly suggested that we narrow up the stance quite a bit...and keep the fins on all the time.

Hmmmm, difference of opinion or is there more to that?

Oh, and also, the pros were riding 143 and 144 boards and they were not big guys....at least compared to some of us....so it can be confusing.
Old     (gypsy12)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-01-2005, 1:17 PM Reply   
Thanks Dave. I'll try not to be afraid.

How've you been?

I have a nice picture of you and Jason chillin' at the back of the boat on our way back to the launch ramp last week.