Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-20-2007, 3:23 AM Reply   
I have an 02 X-star with the 310 HP TBI engine. I want to switch oil filters. From some searching here and on other sites, it sounds like the Wix 51069 or Napa Gold 1069 (same filter I guess) would be a pretty decent choice for my engine. Does that sound correct? I've also heard of other's changing out to a larger/longer filter. Think that's necessary? It couldn't hurt anything, right? I certainly have room to put in a longer filter. Thanks for your opinions/suggestions.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-20-2007, 7:32 AM Reply   
Napa Gold is the way to go.
Old     (dnice)      Join Date: May 2006       07-20-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
For those of you out there that do change your own, what oil do you use? Can you go with a traditional oil that is the same spec or do you actually go with a "marine" oil?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-20-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
NAPA GOLD for sure -- just stay away from and FRAM Filters
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-20-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
FRAM gets a lot of flack and they do deserve it but their Tough Guard filters are actually built like proper oil filters without any cardboard or anything. In a pinch, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Tough Guard. I'm happy with NAPA Gold myself. They're cheap and built well. I use the Quicksilver oil for Mercruiser engines. I think it's some sort of synthetic blend.
Old     (wakeletter75)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
The Napa Gold are t*ts and its always easy to find a Napa store.As for oil, full synthetics are primetime but you can buy other "marine" or heavy duty oils for less than $5 a quart (ouch!)..
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
you can use almost any 15w40 engine oil that you can find at wal-mart. most of these oils are for heavy duty diesel trucks and are as good or better than most marine oil so you should be safe, especially if you change your oil every 50 hours. yes bob, the 1069 is the correct filter for indmar, and it should be able to handle all of your filtering needs, indmar doesn't pay for filters after you buy the boat so they aren't going to suggest a filter that they don't feel will do a good enough job to save money or for any other reason really.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-20-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
thanks guys. Now I run to Napa to get my filters, but they don't carry any 15-40 weight oil there at all! Have to run to Autozone and pick up the 15w-40. I see Autozone carries AC Delco Oil filters and heard they are pretty good filters too. Anyone know the number on these? Would be nice to pick up the oil and filter at the same store. Any opinions on the AC-Delco filters?