Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-17-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
Shopping around. Was looking at a Supra. Found some good pricing on an x-1. Anyone ride one? How is the wake?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-17-2011, 7:50 AM Reply   
The X-1 is built on the 205v hull that dates back to the late 90's. It produces one of the most historically beloved wakes. If you pull the hard tanks in the rear and simply plumb in two 500lb rear sacs, throw another 500 in the nose of that boat, and then fill the center ballast, the wake is really really nice and clean from 65-about 80 feet at 22-24 mph. You have to speed up a bit to clean the wake up further back, because the lip can roll if you really slam the boat with weight. I had a '02 XStar (same hull), and loved that boat. The surf wave is ok, it's not amazing or anything, but it's there. A friend of mine has a 99 205v that's been completely redone and updated, and we all still love riding that wake today.

The wake is a bit on the narrow side, so I ride 5 feet further out than what I ride behind my Axis. The wake has a nice transition. It's not as rampy as a vlx or LSV, but its not a steep as the old 210 wake. In many ways, it reminds me of the newer 210 wake.

FWIW, those boats have always held their value, and will always be in demand.

What motor does it have? The 310 or the 350?
Old    TN22            10-17-2011, 7:53 AM Reply   
What Supra are you looking at?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-17-2011, 8:07 AM Reply   
Having had both an X1, and a supra 21v, I would take the Supra all day long.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-17-2011, 8:59 AM Reply   
I am looking at an 05 supra 21v
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       10-17-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
I have spent a lot of time riding behind and X-1. Great wake when you weight it down. Like chattwake said, pull out the hard tanks and throw some sacks in. I usually ran 450's in the back lockers, 550 on the floor, and another 550 in the bow/walkway area, and the center locker sac, (not sure the exact weight) and it was a good fun wake. Good size and shape, not super steep, but still has some kick. The interior can get a tad small, but other than that I think its a great boat!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-17-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
I would say it really depends on what your looking for and your crew. Maybe a bit more info on you. Also the 310 or 350 engine is fine. The 350 will bring more value but my 310 with the right prop and over 2 k in ballast and 8 people in the boat and 2 behind it with one on a tube was NO PROBLEM.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-17-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
I am looking for a bit more of an aggresive wake. Coming off of an Air nautique dd. Have been wakeboarding forever but just starting to take it to the next level with a few more inverts etc. Not a quite an advanced rider. My crew is all pretty new to the sport.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-17-2011, 10:01 AM Reply   
either wake will be PLENTY for the intermediate rider.. The X1 wake is capable of massive wakes and top top level tricks off it..

Pick the BOAT that fits your needs better. Both wakes will be more than capable.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-17-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
Ok. The Supra has a ton more room than the X1, is heavier, so it has a better rough water ride(wake plate helps a lot with this as well) and feels more solid. I had the gravity games ballast in mine, and the wake was nothing short of huge. The only thing I liked about the X1 over the Supra was the fact that it skied better, and was a little more nimble. The stock wake (with stock ballast) on the X1 didn't compare to the supra IMO.

I miss my supra and wish I would not have sold it. It honestly makes me sick that I did.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-17-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
I don't have any experience with the Supra but own an X-1 and couldn't be happier. Three of my friends have Nautique 210s so I ride behind that boat often. The X-1 wake is rampier than the Nautique 210, a little easier on the knees but a little more edge required to get up an over.

I support Go Small on the engine selections, I have the smaller/ torqued out 310 he is running. I run a fair amount of weight (+/-3000lbs ballast) and ride at high elevation (5500 ft above sea level). This was the engine that came with the X-1 'price-point-boat'. The RPT 310 engine with the right prop gets it done and uses less gas than the 350. Just make sure to put plenty of weight in the bow to counter the rear sacs.
Old     (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-17-2011, 5:29 PM Reply   
How is everyone weighting their X-1's (205V's) and how fast are you riding and how long of a rope? I have a 2008 Nautique 210 and my buddy has a 2001 x-star. We both slam our boats and I run anywhere from 24-24.5mph behind my boat at 80'. In his boat, we run 750's in the back compartments (probably filled to 650 each), open bow triangle in front (around 750 lbs....guessing) and then the stock center tank plus another 200 lbs in lead under the front bow seats. I feel like we are riding at least 27 mph behind his boat and we have to do this in order to get the wake clean at 78'. I would like to ride longer, but we just have to go even faster and it is already too fast for our liking.

Anyways, just trying to see how everyone is weighting theres because we would love to be able to slow down some and still ride at 80'.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-18-2011, 7:39 AM Reply   
@JKW
I say your going to have a hard time getting an apples to apples wake between the 98" beam 210 and a 90" beam 205v. Those are HUGE differences. Speed pushes the wake nicer further back from what I have been told.

Last edited by tampawake; 10-18-2011 at 7:44 AM. Reason: fixing
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-18-2011, 9:26 AM Reply   
I run the exact same ballast set up in my X-1, right down to the amount of lead in the bow. We ride at 24-24.4 @ 80ft but I am not sure my Speed Control is properly calibrated. 27 would be too fast.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-18-2011, 9:50 AM Reply   
JKW, we had the same issue with my old xstar. Once you put that much weight in the boat, the wake just seems to roll at 80ft unless you go like 25.5+ mph. Speeding up cleans the wake up, but I also thought it made it a bit smaller. What we resorted to was just slowing down some and riding at 75ft.
Old     (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-18-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. I realize I am not going to get the same shaped wake, I was just wanting to see if there was a way to weight it differently so I could get a clean wake at 80' going around 24mph or so with a big wake. It sounds like the only option is to use less weight.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-18-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
If anything I would try more weight in the nose, the 205V loves weight in the front.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-19-2011, 5:28 AM Reply   
Here's how I weighted my 2000 XStar (same as X1):
750 port side of engine
750 starboard side of engine
750 rear cabin floor
350 ski locker
375 integrated bow sac (under bow seats)
1100 bow triangle (on top of bow seats)
2 - 60 pound containers of lead (placed as needed in order to get both wakes clean)

We rode at 87 feet at about 26 mph. I've ridden a ton of different boats/weight setups and this one is in my top 2 (just behind SAN 230 with about 5200 pounds of ballast). The wakes are actually very similar. The key to the 205v hull is 60/40 to 50/50 rear/front weight ratio.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-19-2011, 6:19 AM Reply   
Jay, I don't know how your XStar doesn't sink with that much weight in it! I can remember, with my '02, if we put 2 500's in the front, a 500 on either side of the motor, and 6 people in the boat, it was sketchy as hell. If you had to stop, and there were any rollers out there at all, you were subbing the nose of that boat. hahaha.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-19-2011, 6:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Jay, I don't know how your XStar doesn't sink with that much weight in it! I can remember, with my '02, if we put 2 500's in the front, a 500 on either side of the motor, and 6 people in the boat, it was sketchy as hell. If you had to stop, and there were any rollers out there at all, you were subbing the nose of that boat. hahaha.
it was the epitome of slammed.. wake was bananas
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-19-2011, 7:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
There was certainly a methodology behind bringing that thing to a halt. You had to do some what of a gradual slow down, and at the very and of it you had to give the wheel a turn so you plowed the water with more the side of your boat. If you just fully cut the throttle and didn't turn, you would definitely dip the nose. Man I miss that thing!
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-19-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
Jay I may just have to give this a shot, basically throwing all of my old and new ballast set up all in the boat at once. Sounds fun.
Old     (shoulin)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-20-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
i had an X1 and what I found to work well was maybe 150 in lead under the seats up front but as close to the nose as you could get. then two 250 side sacs one in the walkway and one on top of it up front.

Then 200 pounds of lead distributed under the drivers feet and in the storage area where the battery was plus the larger plate on the floor to move around to fix any miss weight issues.

I then replaced the hard tanks with the large 750 sacs never filled well with the stock pumps but I would fill those as full as I could without really pushing the sidewalls in on the engine.

I then rode about 24-26 depending on rider and time of the year.

The wake was really good and had a nice ramp kick to it. Its a good wake that can allow you to get as good as you want.

i liked the boat it was small enough to fit in a standard garage when its just a few people its very comfortable.

I had the 350 and power was never an issue I also got the 4 bladed prop and it never had a problem.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-20-2011, 12:49 PM Reply   
JKW,

I think you have a bit too much on the bow on the X1 and thats what causing the curl.

I run the 750's in the rear as full as they can get, Run factory center bag, and then run about 500lbs of pop bags in the nose. I ride at a gps calibrated 24.5 and 80ft. and its clean and clear. The pop bags allow me to use less weight as I am able to put them all the way up front vs the water in a sac which is ditributed more throughout......................Before I ran the lead had a 750 in the walkway and filled it to its max. FWIW I know when the pros had the boat (X1)on the tour back in the day they weighted it this exact way with an addition of a 600lb'r in front of the rear bench. Not that I am saying this is the only way to do it cause its the way the pro's did, it's just what I found most guys with the hull have chosen to follow over the years

The nauti's love way more in the nose than the standard bow Mc's especially the old 210, but it still holds true for the newer hull Nauti just not as much.

Last edited by xstarrider; 10-20-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old     (watersun)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-20-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
Swatguy,

Thanks for the info. Maybe we'll try emptying some of the front weight next time and see what happens. I had an old 210 and we would weight it fairly heavy in front. I now have a newer style 210 and I actually weight it back heavy. I put just enough in front so it will still plane out. This gives it a nice steep wake which I liked from my old boat...the newer one just has a longer transition which is nice.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-20-2011, 2:10 PM Reply   
Bob, make sure you test the wake, you are coming from a nautique which has one of the best wakes, so make sure you get a boat with a better wake!
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-20-2011, 10:48 PM Reply   
750s in the back, stock center, 250 of lead in the nose and a 5 or 600 lb sack in the walk through. Ride at 24.5-25, Huge and clean.