Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    eating it            08-15-2001, 3:04 PM Reply   
I am having problems landing on my wake to wake jumps. I feel comfortable edging, and getting the pop off of the wake but the last thing I see before landing (eating it) is the tip of the board digging into the water. I don't have the convenience of riding with more advanced boarders to help me out, so I assume I am looking down when landing. If this is the issue where do you guys look while edging and jumping? The boat, the shore, the pretty girls on the shore, etc.
Any feedback would be great.
-BS
Old                08-15-2001, 4:31 PM Reply   
ok bro, when you edge up to the wake , edge ll the way through, don't flaten out. when your in the air, bring your knees up as if you were doing a grab. when you go out to make the cut go about 10 to 15 feet out of the wake, also keep your weight over the board, if you don't, you will face plant or land on your a$$. hope this helps, later bro, jacob
Old                08-15-2001, 10:06 PM Reply   
it helped me if i looked at the other shore when first learing to jump wake to wake. just dont look down! hope this helps
Old                08-16-2001, 1:23 PM Reply   
i haven't had the luck to pull off my w2w yet, but I do know that your shoulders lean with your chin. If you look down and don't have total control, that's where you're going to end up. I agree with matt; look at the shore or at least past your target.
Old    im not a good distance judge            08-16-2001, 11:20 PM Reply   
i just learned my heelside w2w last week and what i found was that i edged a little farther out than most to start, maybe almost 25' (im not a good distance judge) but after getting out i did my progressive edge real slowly and keep the handle to the hip, then when i was in the air i went into indy grab position and lifted the nose slightly. i know it's pretty confusing but you just gotta go balls out once and then you feel how soft it is landing on the wake going down as opposed to landing between the wakes and it's just so much more stable
Old                08-17-2001, 9:19 AM Reply   
If the last thing you see is the nose digging in, then you would have to be looking down. Look at the shoreline and keep the handle down and in. Try to shorten your rope in so you can make it wake to wake without as much effort till you get used to it, then go back to your regular length.
Old                08-17-2001, 11:42 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice, hopefully I can get some people to go this weekend and land some jumps. I am also going to bring the video camera and see if I can learn from watching the replays.
Later.
-BS
Old                08-17-2001, 2:56 PM Reply   
The video is a great idea and has helped me quite a bit. Something I've heard many times - the way you take off is the way you land. So maybe you're forward as you go off the wake and that causes you to nose the board on landing. Also, make sure you bring the handle to your hips as you go off the wake. It's a common mistake to have your arms outstretched which can cause you to be pulled over the front of the board when you land.

http://wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/Basics.asp

If you haven't read this article, it's a really good place to start. I went back and focused on the basics and now my boarding has really improved.