Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-21-2009, 10:15 PM Reply   
News just said Shasta is at 30%

we really need more rain.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-21-2009, 10:17 PM Reply   
all the lakes are super low=no good......lake comanche is almost at full capacity, about 15 feet below the tree line. not that its a big lake but that is where all the water that is left is
Old     (braap13)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-21-2009, 10:35 PM Reply   
jason,
camanche is actually only 33% full. 137,160 Acre Feet/417,120 AF
its not that deep of a lake compared to a shasta, oroville, or bullards, so its gonna look more full than it actually is, if that makes sense.

Here is a link to how full all the lakes in CA are:
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/misc/daily_res.html
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-21-2009, 11:00 PM Reply   
i do know that comanche is shallow compared to most other lakes however i was there on friday and the water line was only about 15 feet shy of the tree line. im sure its not full capacity but compared to the tree line its pretty full
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-21-2009, 11:27 PM Reply   
Jason, The acre feet capacity of the lake pretty much sums it up...

If you have a lake that is two feet deep, and it's only a foot from the highest water line, even though it's only a foot down, it's still at 50% capacity...

I wonder what is going to happen to places like Phoenix... Where millions of people are moving to, yet there is no rainfall to support the population. Since they are upstream of the Californians, I can only imagine that they will get the water that flows through the colorado first... This will just make the problem worse in Cali...
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-21-2009, 11:37 PM Reply   
I dont think Phoenix gets Co River water. They have a huge Aquafir that is depleting rapidly....Get ready to invade Canada for water resources. Nothing personal ehh. Thats why Ethanol will never be the sole supporting fuel source. I think.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-22-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
Lake Hogan - CA

3 years ago water just below green / treeline

Upload
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-22-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
WATER IS THE NEXT OIL
The rain we are getting is not nearly enough. I have a bad feeling this is the year the lawn goes bye bye as we head into a drought.

From a post on Scubaboard.

Shasta Lake is currently 150' below the high water mark. This gives us divers a chance to investigate our favorite dive sites from the surface. I have attached a couple of photos that some might find interesting. The Sacramento arm of the lake has 3 train tunnels that are located between 80 and 165 feet below the high water mark. The most northern tunnel is high and dry. It is a pretty cool dive when the lake is full or nearly full. Where the cement port holes meet mother earth we have a cave in on both sides of the tunnel. Access through the tunnel is still possible. The middle tunnel has a steel bridge on the north side. Note the date on the tunnel. The third tunnel is still submerged today but should become visible in a week or so as the water level drops. Currently the visibility is a foot or less, bummer. The lower the lake the worse the vis. The first tunnel is a cool dive when it's 30 or more feet under the water. I have dove all 3 tunnels and the vis was much better then. It was many years ago when the lake was at this level. The 3rd tunnel is very long (between 1500 and 2000 feet.
Upload
Upload
Upload

I can remember many years ago snaking through the trees on the Pit Arm. The lake was so low, probably about where it is now, that you could not drive up to the no ski zone area. It was a small river by that area. When not generating power there was almost no water.

Also remember about 7 years ago it snowed heavy leading into Christmas then rained on the snow causing the water to flow over the dam because they could not release water fast enough. Everything down river flooded. The Delta had houseboats crashing into bridges.
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-22-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
It would be a nice time to lower the tops of trees in the main arm of the Pit. I know the fisherman want all those trees in the coves but sure seems like the channel would benefit if it were possible. I know my boat bottom and prop would be better.
Any pictures of the Pit arm with the water this low out there ?
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       01-22-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
Shasta is ridiculously low, its good for dirt biking though!
Old     (jpg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-23-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
Any thing about Lake Oroville?
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-23-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
we stopped at antlers and took these two thanksgivings ago, hella walk to the lake down those stairs..

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-23-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
Chas...I just got back yesterday from being at my houseboat for 5 days. Lake is so fricken low....sad......sad.....sad.....let it rain....let it rain.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-23-2009, 10:31 PM Reply   
Man, I feel sorry for you guys out West. We have had our days of low lake levels here in NC, but seeing some of those pics, make you want to cry. If it stays that low during the summer, pack up and take a vacation East and get some riding in!
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-24-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
Yes, go East, not North

Hope you guys get some rain or some more snow in the forecast.

I remember driving through Shasta for spring break one year and it was raining so hard, you couldn't see the guy in front of you. Driving 25mph through a foreign land not knowing what was in front of you or where you were on the road was not fun.
Old     (the_bug)      Join Date: May 2004       01-25-2009, 6:16 PM Reply   
I was riding my mountain bike at Whiskeytown yesterday. A ranger told me it will be full this summer, so it's all good for local riders. The rumor around Redding is that Shasta is going to set a new record low this year (old record=238 feet down in 1977).
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-26-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
dc, great shot of Whiskytown in your profile!! My favorite lake to hang out on for sure. Not sure how anyone can predict a record low for Shasta though? Heck who knows how much rain we'll get between now and May? We need approx. 70" to fill Shasta, probley not likely but we could still get allot of rain and at least fill it to an acceptable level. It was this low about 10 years ago and filled in one winter. Even back in the 70's when it was at its record low, it filled in one winter so you just never know.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-26-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
Thats the spirit Byron! I'm with ya hoping for some serious rain and snow.