Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BMitchell83)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-07-2012, 10:39 AM Reply   
Where to buy? What brands are good? I'm 6' 220lbs...
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-07-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
They keep you dry....

I'm the same height and weight. I have an OS Drysuit which is either XL or XXL...can't remember off hand. Many companies make them and you will spend anywhere from $ 250-$500 depending on what you buy. Drysuits with the rubber ends (like my OS) can be a pain. I have blown 2 wrists and a neck already. If you can find one that has the neoprene tips you would be better off. Adrenaline watersports has one's for $ 260 or something. There is also this thread http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783667 where people talk about some of the different drysuits. The problem I have is mine gets shared between friends so there is a lot of putting it on/off which leads to premature failure.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-07-2012, 11:53 AM Reply   
A lot of mfgrs have a tall version also....
O'niell I think uses the neo seals

if you take hard falls you can still get wet.
But not soaked.
I have a drysuit and 4/3 wetsuit......both work great.
One you change into dry clothes after and one usually just change your shirt. I always seem to get a wet collar and wrists with the drysuit.
Old     (BMitchell83)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-07-2012, 1:15 PM Reply   
I'm allergic to Neoprene...
Old     (Andrew14)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-07-2012, 1:57 PM Reply   
I researched and researched last year....ended up buying a 2011 O'Neil Boost. Incredible dry suit.....rode all winter long, stayed warm and not one leak...even on heavy crashes. Highly recommend one.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-07-2012, 2:24 PM Reply   
Get the oneill boost. I'm very close to your size and can wear either a large or an Xl. The seals are the same size in both, so all that really matters is how much u like to layer underneath. I ride mostly in the Xl and usually wear sweat pants and a crew neck sweatshirt for added warmth.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-08-2012, 9:39 AM Reply   
I am on 6 years with my Bare Dry suit. Awesome awesome suit. I have a medium and Im 5'9" but friends who are 6ft has used it and my wife who is 5'4" uses it too. Up in Canada a dry suit is almost mandatory. Sweat pants or long underwear underneth and a long sleve shirt. Toasty warm and when you get back on the boat you are dry and still warm!

I don't have a bad thing to say about my suit.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2012, 10:01 AM Reply   
I would go with a wetsuit over a drysuit. Look at Xcels Drydock 4/3...that should do ya! I never liked the baggyness of drysuit. I wear an xcel infinity Xzip 3/2 in Phoenix year round. water temps in the 60's with a set of booties when you are surfing and you are toasty!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-08-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
If you live in Phoenix, then ya, a dry suit is over kill. But up in Canada water temps of 60's are like a btahtub. That what our lake is now, but in the 40's and 50's a dry suit is king!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2012, 4:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
If you live in Phoenix, then ya, a dry suit is over kill. But up in Canada water temps of 60's are like a btahtub. That what our lake is now, but in the 40's and 50's a dry suit is king!

Depending on air temp and if it was windy, I still would vote for a wetsuit....if I was scuba diving i would be all for the dry suit. Surfers go out up there in the cold, they are rocking wet suits. i guess i just dont like dry suits. I wouldnt want to have to wakeboard wearing a plastic bag over sweatshirt and sweat pants...
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-08-2012, 5:14 PM Reply   
Drysuits suck getting in and out of....and if you share your in/out a lot!
Wetsuit I put on once then just pull the top down between sets. And put on a sweatshirt.

Drysuits are kinda bulky......
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-08-2012, 5:16 PM Reply   
Jesus do you guys even read the comments or just go straight to the bottom and write your 2 cents.... He said he's allergic to neoprene in the 4th post so any wetsuits are out... I use the oneill Boost and it has a neoprene neck with rubber arm and leg seals so unless you can call them up and have them replace the neck seal with a rubber one then that would be out for you also.

If you get a drysuit make sure sure you care for it properly and condition the rubber seals with McNett seal saver:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00

Last edited by ryanw209; 09-08-2012 at 5:18 PM.