Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
I am in search for a soft landing board to keep my knees as long as possible. Unfortunately a lot of my tricks are easier for me to complete if I edge hard and land in the flats. Lot's of comments I have read say the bigger the board the softer the landing. I currently ride a 137 w/ 3 stage 2.75" rocker. I tried a board yesterday that has comments to be one of the softest landing boards in their line, 140 w/ continuous 3" rocker and my knees are still sore today from a big roll into the flats. The 140 is wider than the 137 so it definitely has more surface hitting the water. I am not trying to be brand specific, but it seems that a larger surface area hitting the water would not sink into the water as fast creating a harder landing. It also seems like a continuous rocker would land smoother than 3 stage. I am curious to others take on this.

Thanks,
Jim
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-18-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
continuous does land a lot smoother than a 2 stage, because there is no "slap" from the flat spot. Size wise, it is very debatable, but most people think that a larger board lessens impact because the larger board has a "longer" period of landing (spreads the impact out over greater surface area).

If you are looking for a soft landing board that goes into the flats, you might check out the 04-06 Murray by Hyperlite, they are generally very soft. I ride the temet 142, and the landings are great, but you have to try a tad harder for pop.

(Message edited by garret_s on July 18, 2006)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-18-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
Jim, I can guess what board you tried and I have to say that I never found it to land that soft either. So far I'm totally in love with my CWB Pure. It's not even one of their expensive boards (and it's kinda old technology), but it does everything right. It's a 3 stage, but a little mellower than their current shapes (2.75"), so it's got great pop, but has a more into the flats style. It also has a spine in the center to create buttery smooth landings. I was amazed when I got on that board. I actually tried it out one day because a friend left their board on my boat and I've been riding it ever since. Definitely give it a shot.

Seems to me that the way a board rides is totally related to your technique. I've found that's the case for making a board edge, pop and land a particular way. That's why I'll never take someones advice on a board. I have to ride them for myself.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
Evan,
Which length are you riding? I agree with advice, I always try to ride before I buy, it is just hard to find boards to test ride. Have to be at the right spot at the right time.
Thanks,
Jim
Old     (ctrider)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-18-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
Jim,
If you have the chance try out the Liquid Force Fish. I have found this board to have nice soft landings. That was the biggest selling point when I purchased it. I also love the way the board rides.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-18-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
Its tough to try and change your style but what about taking things UP! It can be made a lot easier with a big wake where you can come in on a good edge and float all of your tricks. I agree with you on the 140 board you rode, it has good landings for a board that is ridiculously wide, not that great in the overall scheme of things though. I think my Absolute lands incredible but a lot of my tricks are wake to wake, I do most of my inverts into the flats though.
Old    noah_d            07-18-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
I have been riding into the flats since I have started WB no matter the line length, well that probably wouldnt be true at 90ft....but anyways abrut 3 stage was the best for me, made me pop up and not out.....but I also think there are 2 other factors that can help, do a half squat when your going out in the flats - not a full butt check squat....it made my knee problems go away.

Big Heavy has a point! Slow the boat down and bring in the rope and practice on edging and your approach. I know I have 3 different edge approaches when coming to the wake and I can pop straight up or go to flats depending on my approach....

but I am no pro and every one is different so what works for me may not work for some one else.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
Jim ,alot has to do with landing in the flats. If any of you have seen Jim ride he is always 10 to 15 feet past the wake out in the flats. There is no way my knees could take that punishment you dish out to yours. Plus we all ride and land different. I say Jim just keep looking. I have learned that don't get stoked on a board the first day you ride it. It could be that you just had a good day on that board. It needs to be ridden a week or longer. Good luck in finding the dream board.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-18-2006, 4:20 PM Reply   
the cwb marius is smooth lander....just switched out my premier dna and new era for it....

the hl's aren't bad, the marius is just that good..
Old     (emceecuen)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-19-2006, 2:21 AM Reply   
kevin is right, the fish rocks my landing socks off. Jimmy really out did himself when he started shaping boards with the double concave. the fish has it as well as the watson and shane. Extremely soft landings
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-19-2006, 5:46 AM Reply   
my watson lands extremely soft.
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input, I guess there is no easy answer as to why a board lands soft, too many variables, but I am going to keep on trying different boards until I find the one that fits my style and knees. Here's my list of boards to try.
CWB Pure 140
CWB Absolute 141 - already tried 135
HL Drive 139
HL Murray 133 - already tried 138
LF Fish 129 - already tried 125
LF Team 139

Thanks again,
Jim
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-20-2006, 1:58 AM Reply   
Jim you rode the 129 fish too. I remember you landing 2 540s on mine when I had it. Paul
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
Paul,
I know, that is why I might try it again for a longer test ride.