Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       05-09-2006, 5:33 PM Reply   
Any thoughts on these boats? I looked at some new Calabrias Pro V2 and some Centurions Elites and it seems like you can get out the door for about the same price.
Any differences between these boats? The Calabria had perfect pass, the Centurion did not. But they have the same motors. Can you guys help me narrow down my search? Is there really any difference at all?
Old     (wakeboarder3922)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-09-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
Were you looking at used Centurions? I know you can get perfectpass in one because I do. But to help your decision, i would say go with the Calabria or the Centurion. Centurion has great wake and the Calabria now has ballast that fills in under a minute. The Tige doesn't even have ballast.
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-09-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
We have a Tige 22v and love it.
Liked the Centurions as well.
We don't have a Calabria dealer so I have no input on them.
Everybody on this board loves their boat and will be biased to their brand.

I don't think that one is better than the other, Some cost more but will bring more in resale.
Some cost less and will bring less when you sell.

You should consider the dealer, I think that that is more important than the brand that you purchase, The dealers in my area kept me from a Centurion,Mastercraft and a Malibu.

Just my $.02
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-09-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
I've never been in a Tige' or Calibra. There's probably some noticeable differences between these boats. I have a Centurion that I'm quite happy with, but I don't think that I'd want to give up perfect pass. You can get a Tige' with ballast. The convex hull is supposed to reduce the need for ballast, and Tige' boast are very heavy compared to most other brands, in fact a comperable Tige weighs more than a Centurion with full ballast. Get out and demo these boats!
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-09-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
As my young wakeboarder commented most Tige's have no Ballast because most stock ballast are not worth the trouble, that's why there are so many post about replacing them or adding more ballast.
The Tige has a taps system that increases and decreases size and shape of the wake, this system will also work when you decide you want to add more ballast and shape the wake, something that the others don't offer.
Another thing to remember is that stock ballast systems are problematic, leak, and for them to work you have to pump dirty lake water into your new $40k+ baby.

But I still think that the dealer will make or break a great deal on what ever brand you decide to spend your hard earned cash on.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
I've driven and boarded behind all these brands, and they all have some positives. I own none of them. Given money, performance, and fit and finish as criteria, I'd say Calabria.

IMO Calabria made some bad boats back in the 90's, right after the change over from the Brendella name, but the Pro V and Pro V2 are legit.

To me, Calabria is sorta like Sanger was a few years ago, flying under the radar. They don't make a lot of boats, which limits there exposure outside of the west coast. If people in other parts of the country were exposed to these boats, they'd stack up with almost brands.
Old     (wakeboarder3922)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-09-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
Centurion's ballast is not bags, like Supra or Moomba. The ballast is hard tanks. But yes leakeage is possible. The ballast that you can get from Tige is bags, so leakage is more possible. I am not putting down Tige at all, but I could not imagine have my 1,150 pounds of ballast filled.
Old     (tjdunn)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-09-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
I have a 06 Tige' 22 ve and I love the boat. I have been completely impressed with the performance of the boat. I really like the walk thru transom and back compartments along with the storage is amazing! Had Ten guys in the boat with no ballast and these guys were blown away with the wake as they were doing there flips and 180s! The accuset was awesome.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-09-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
What's up Tony? .. I didn't know if I was supposed to call you, or wait for your call. ... I try to not be rude, and sometimes it bites me in the butt.

What is your sched for the rest of the week? I'm taking my boat to Verona tomorrow. Just going to be me, Attila and my brother. I have no plans Thurs.

Let me know.
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-09-2006, 10:19 PM Reply   
In my opinion, having Perfect Pass is key. If you don't buy it with the boat, you'll probably install it later at a higher price. And when it comes to re-sale, you'll *wish* you had PP.

For the money, you will probably get more boat with Calabria, but all three brands are very comparable for quality, fit and finish. Tige and Centurion probably spend more in sales/marketing/etc. but you'll talk to plenty of happy owners for either brand.

The biggest difference for these three manufacturers, as you're reading, is the various ballast systems. Look into each type and that should help you make a decision.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       05-10-2006, 10:55 AM Reply   
The Calabria seem to have a pretty awesome Ballast system as it has the fastest fill times and dump times in the industry. I also like that they are fully loaded from the factory and you don't have to worry about add ons except the stereo if you upgrade. I don't know much about them so it kind of scares me. The two Bria's I have been on both had vibration issues which I am starting to think could be common. I guess I just need to get out there and demo the Centurion and Tige. Any more thoughts? Your help is appreciated.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-10-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
i think the calabria is the best looking! the only probably i see is that a 700lb ballast system is not nearly enough and you can make it bigger without adding bags, which to me is a major downfall of the calabria. i don't understand why they can't double the tanks so it's like 1400lbs.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-10-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
Sean, They're all good. Don't ask people on this sight to make a decision for you- they're way too many opinions- most of which are heavily biased by the boat sitting in their garage. Ballast tanks are the least of your concerns- check out the dealer first and ask for a list of people they have sold to that you call call. Service is the key. Whether you like it or not, you're going to have your boat in the shop at some point and getting in OUT of the shop when you want, with the work done well is the key. Personally, I have owned a couple of boats and have an '01 Tige right now- it's a good boat. Without the ballast bags (which I just got last year- bought the boat in 01 new) the wake is very good for 99.9% of the people I know. Unless you're trying to land Scarecrows, 720's, whirlybirds, etc. It will be fine. With the bags full, the wake is SCARY huge and my kids won't even go out behind the boat. Bottom line- I'd look for the best deal, warranty , equipment package and dealer service- that's your boat. Get Perfect Pass or some sort of speed control in any boat you buy though- that's a marriage saver. Good luck.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       05-11-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
Thanks Will. That was the best advice yet....Thanks everyone for helping out with their opinions. I'm sure I will love whatever boat. I'm new to the sport so I know whatever boat will kill me with its wake. I'm sure I will be happy. Just trying to cover all the basis. Thanks.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-12-2006, 5:34 AM Reply   
I tested pretty well every boat out there. For the money, I felt that the Calabria was the best for the money. I have no problem with the vibration issue. I thought that the Malibu was the best boat but it was $10,000-20,000 more. This amount was just too much to justify the Malibu for me at this time.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-12-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
I also thought that the Sanger was a great boat and is possibly the best made boat for the money. So IMO Malibu if you have the money, Sanger for the quality for the money or Calabria for the most bang for the buck.