Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    gator_boards06            05-08-2006, 8:46 PM Reply   
i need some ideas..i know most light bars are kinda just for show maybe for surfing a little but im looking for somethinthat goes on the tower for like wakeboarding at night..i would be stoked if yall can hit me up with ideas
Old    bocephus            05-08-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
I generally just use the spot light that the sheriff provides.
Old    gator_boards06            05-08-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
haha well that funny... im on a river down here man we dont have all them rules like lakes do
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-08-2006, 9:17 PM Reply   
I know in Cali, and I'm pretty sure Texas is the same, but you are not allowed to have any towed objects after 30 min past sunset. In other words, at dusk, you are done. .... Huge ticket! Unless you have a private lake, or know some secluded finger, I would say it isn't worth it. ... Unless you go for the bling. However, that is also illegal. You are required to have the red and green running lights, and one all around white light. Any more than that, and you are no longer practicing proper navigational practices. Another ticket!
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
I love how people are so quick point out anything illegal. Even when it can be some of the most petty minor ridiculous things, like wakeboarding at night. And yet, no one will ever point a finger at a boat driver who is drinking a beer. And honestly, haven't most of us done that? Can you say double-standard?

Night time wakeboarding draws a $250 ticket in Washington, big deal, that's a drop in the bucket for what is spent on this sport. The risk of ticket may be worth it to some people.

Now that I'm done ranting - I posted this question about a month ago and got some interesting responses back. The general conclusion was that you need at least 8 - 55w lights if not 10 or 12.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/307960.html
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-08-2006, 10:26 PM Reply   
Craig,

I am all for it. This is supposed to be the USA, Land of the FREE, home of the brave. I just wanted to make sure "Gator" knew what he was getting into.

Sorry if I was annoying.
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-08-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
night surfing is a another topic of discussion though. Since I mean technically you arent being towed by the boat right.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       05-08-2006, 11:02 PM Reply   
Sams got a point!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-08-2006, 11:56 PM Reply   
At lakes like Shasta Lake you are also not breaking the 15 mph speed limit either! The CA Delta is safe navigational speed at night.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-09-2006, 12:17 AM Reply   
Naw, you guys are wrong. It's only legal for David Hasselhoff
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-09-2006, 12:39 AM Reply   
What happens if you knock yourself out? It can be pretty hard to find someone in the water at night. Just a thought.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       05-09-2006, 12:55 AM Reply   
What if you get bitten by a shark.
Thats why he needs the lights!

Sorry Gator this thread isn't really helping you out.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-09-2006, 1:41 AM Reply   
yeah but once you fall the lights wont be on you anymore will they......until they're able to get a light back on you, wont be easy if you're out cold with only your back above the surface.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-09-2006, 2:09 AM Reply   
I think people tie on a glow stick and/or they wear the new glow in the dark life jackets.....
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-09-2006, 2:13 AM Reply   
Well then bust out the techno music and you'll have a party.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-09-2006, 5:20 AM Reply   
when we fall we use a glow stick and a spotter with a 1,000,000 candle power spotlight to find the rider...

Its not safe, or legal, but man its crazy to throw an invert blind behind the boat.

www.midwestwakeboarder.com
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       05-09-2006, 5:36 AM Reply   
Did you say 1 million? (Dr. Evil holding pinky to lips)
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-09-2006, 5:49 AM Reply   
Craig
two fity that's like 1-2 days riding worth of gas!
Old     (elcarteros)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-09-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
I must say it is pretty wicked to land a sick a$$ invert while riding at night. it's a whole new rush. you can't exactly spot your landing, you have to "feel" it.
We used to ride alot at night. Most of the PoPo's bed time is dusk, on small rivers.
Two problems with high power lights is, one....your rider is blinded,(position is critical) two, it lights up all the bugs and hard to see out front for your driver,(logs,rocks,the shore...are hard to see)
Glow sticks and spotlights.
a glowstick on your rider and one on your rope, cause you cant see that either. and running over either ...sucks. it makes for a short sess.
Old     (elcarteros)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-09-2006, 6:13 AM Reply   
Hey Gator
how about a "clip on" spotlight. placed low on the rear of the boat, that way your rider isn't blinded and it illuminates the surfwake, (great for pics too)
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
Hyperlite has their "Tracer Cable" which is a glow-in-the-dark vinyl coated tow cable. I've been meaning to order one specifically for this purpose. Not that we're riding at 2 in the morning, but we sometimes push an hour and 1/2 after sunset. It's just a simple matter of a bunch of dudes that work real jobs and have limited day-light time available to them. Especially in Sept and Oct. And that whole Day-lights savings time clock adjustment crap.

Kristian, you do bring up a good point about Knock-Outs, especially when you consider it's much more likely to have a bad fall at night. I wonder if one could find that reflective fabric that shoe and jugging sportswares manufactures use. Make some kind of strap or something to attach to the jacket.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
Robb

btw: It's not you, this sorta thing has been bothering me about wakeworld for some time now. For example, This guy posted an article about melting lead and people got all upset telling him that he needed to post a disclaimer and chewing him out about how dangerous pouring lead can be. As though he had some responsibility for the safety of the readers? Same response if you make a post where you suggest installing a non-marine alternator.

The one that I love is when someone posts something extraordinarily creative, like building a fiberglass speaker box or something, People will respond pointing out every error in it. I think these people don't have the first bit of aptitude to pull of something creative, so they have to rip other people for doing what they can not.

And really, haven't we, as a society, become just a little too concerned with what each-other can and cannot do? Maybe the best thing for our fellow comrade would be for him to get an expensive night-skiing ticket?

That's my rant - I know it's out of context and continues to hijack Gator's thread. This really isn't about any of you and I hope no one takes offense, it's just about my pet peeve.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-09-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
wait till a moonlit night and ride in the dark...it's actually pretty bright.
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-09-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
hey craig just out of curiosity were you implying that drinking a beer while driving a boat is illegal?
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-09-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
USe the military stlye glow sticks and zip tie them to your jacket so you can be spotted after falling.
Old    gator_boards06            05-09-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
hey craig man im with you...250 isnt nothing thats like pocket change for as much money as ive put into the sport...and another thing i didnt know true boarders cared about illegal stuff what a bunch of posers...but anyways so u dont think that will blind the skier?>?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-09-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
Gator - you're not gonna get much help with that attitude. I suggest checking out www.wakeboarder.com. Please.

Old    gator_boards06            05-09-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
i suggest u kiss it bud!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (emay)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-10-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
I would love to go and board at night, I probably never will, as I don't want to be the driver should one of my friends goes and face plants himself to sleep face down in the dark.

However, everyone has a thing they like to do which is not legal, is boarding at night really all that bad. Look at all the homemade sliders and rails people build, there's tons of risk there. One slip up can be a very serious hospital visit. There's inherent risk in everything we do in this sport, some take it the extra mile and it's worth it to them. It would be to me as well, only I don't want the responsibilty of my friends and family when I'm at the wheel because they wanted to try what I tried - boarding in the dark.

To each there own.

Gator, I had 10 55 watt lamps on my light bar last year before I put up my NVS's. I could see plenty far in the dark, well past the handle (floated it out there to see if I could see a rider at length). Problem I saw was the inability to pick up things at water level. Light off the tower doesnt reflect the same and I see it would take some getting used to.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
http://www.reflexiteamericas.com/radiance.htm
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
hey gator does your mommy know you go out at night
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-10-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
I know here in Missouri it's legal as long as you have a light bar and get the permit for it. So I plan on riding many night this summer. I figure we'll just use some reflective tape and glow sticks attached to a vest, a spot light just to have handy, and as for the rope I haven't figured that one out yet.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-10-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
Mark,

Here's a link to Hyperlite's Tracer rope, it glows in the dark.

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/hyperlite_wakeboard_handles/hyperlite_tracer_wakeboard_line_06

Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-10-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
Man I just bought a new rope. That rope does look pretty sick. I'm guessing it's non-strech, doesn't say. Here goes another $110.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-10-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
Mark...where does it say that this is legal? If this is true, I need to get out. What is required (exactly) to get this permit?
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
That's what I was wondering Garret. Tell that to the water patrol that wrote me a ticket a couple years ago for riding @ dusk out @ Longview.

(Message edited by carcrz on May 10, 2006)
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-10-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
We got a ticket last year for riding after dark but we didn't have the permit and ect. I'm not for sure where it says it but I know my friend said he already got one for his air nautique for this season. I have no reason not to believe him. He said something about it being called a "demo" after dark or something. Let me check into it.