Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-24-2013, 1:40 PM Reply   
So... I'm going to have my first experience in a party cove on July 4th weekend at Possum Kingdom Lake. I grew up on the water and have been on a boat since I was a child. I know how and how not to act on the lake. But the party cove is a new thing to me, I live on Lake Whitney and there isn't a real big party crowd out here, and no real party cove. Anyway, this is my question...
Give me the do's and don'ts when tied up in a party cove.
How do I approach the whole situation? Just roll up and tie up to a random boat?? Or do I need to kind of scout it out for a min and ease my way up and ask "Hey is it ok if I tie up to yall?"
Is it ok to walk boat to boat? I know the polite thing is to ask first before I just walk across their boat, but is this Ok or do yall not like it when random's walk across your boat?
I want to have a good time and drink some beer with the friends and family, but I also don't want to step on anyone's toes or upset anyone else in the area.. Thanks, and sorry if this is a stupid post
Old     (natedogg)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-24-2013, 1:55 PM Reply   
In my experiences on Canyon Lake, Lake Austin, and lake Travis here in Texas most people are pretty cool about letting you tie up to them ask first for sure and use buoys and your own anchors. I always putt around and look for the people with similar music tastes and age similar to mine but all and all people on most lakes are chill. A couple times i have tried to tie up with some cruisers or cigar boats and the guys ignore you but i would try to find some wakeboats and hot girls of course.
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-24-2013, 1:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg View Post
In my experiences on Canyon Lake, Lake Austin, and lake Travis here in Texas most people are pretty cool about letting you tie up to them ask first for sure and use buoys and your own anchors. I always putt around and look for the people with similar music tastes and age similar to mine but all and all people on most lakes are chill. A couple times i have tried to tie up with some cruisers or cigar boats and the guys ignore you but i would try to find some wakeboats and hot girls of course.
yea, similar tastes in music is a must... But the wife may not like the idea of scoping out for hot chicks lol. But I can always say I did it for my single buddies that are with us haha! Are there any better looking bumpers out there for sale or do they all look the same as what you always see? I hate how bulky they are, but see the importance in that at the same time.
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-24-2013, 2:40 PM Reply   
You cannot beat the Exile balls for bumper use. They are awesome. We all started using the hippity hops from the toy stores years ago and then these came along and everyone switched. They are thicker than the toy store models.
I won't let anyone tie up to my boat unless these are the bumpers they have, I have enough for my boat, both sides, but sometimes they get loaned out. They don't scratch gelcoat like the other hard rubber bumpers.
We are always cool with new comers that are respectfull. Roll up and just ask. Don't try to rule the party with your stereo, kinda feel it out first. Alot of times we all just link up so we are all playing the same music anyways, NO STEREO WARS.
It's cool in our groups to use platforms to walk back and fourth bewteen boats and the sundeck is usually alright as long as you are respectfull. I would say try and stay out of people whome you don't know boats.
Lastly, realize that you as the boat owner are responsible for the crew you bring to the party. If your crew mate pisses someone off, you are thier only ride out.
Old    bigdtx            05-27-2013, 4:34 AM Reply   
Obviously try to find a boat near the same size as yours - makes it much easier to tie up and keep from flopping around against the boat next to you.
Scope out the crew on the boats near you - if they are partying hard at 2:00pm, chances are they will be trashed at 5:00pm - and a magnet for LEO attention.
Keep track of your gear. I can't count the number of bumpers and ropes I've had leave on other boats when somebody decides to leave and unties themselves when I wasn't watching.
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-27-2013, 6:42 AM Reply   
Keep it safe out there and keep a sober driver. Not only will they keep you outta jail but they are good for keeping the JAs off your boat in a calm manner.
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-27-2013, 6:39 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice yall!!
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-27-2013, 6:42 PM Reply   
Wear sunblock!!!!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-27-2013, 6:47 PM Reply   
How was it?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-28-2013, 1:15 PM Reply   
Find boats of similar height like was said, and we take off the board racks, and try to find someone else that did too, or doesn't have a tower. Always be ready to have to leave or move your boat. You can be floating and not realize that someone 10 boats down decided to untie and just let that side of the chain drift off. Do recommend sitting back and scoping for a second, it's easy to identify who you'll not get along with at least.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-28-2013, 1:50 PM Reply   
drop logs in yachts, stealth potty ninja mode
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-28-2013, 2:11 PM Reply   
Make sure you have the following: CGA vests for everyone, ropes and bumpers for both sides, fire extinguisher, throwable PFD, registration, insurance and horn. The cops/law will ask for this(other than ropes and bumpers) if they do a random stop. Make sure you have at least one person on the boat that knows how to tie up as you will probably be the one driving. I dont usually see guys walking boat to boats its usually women and I have never had a problem with that. Also, you most likely will be welcomed if you have a good ratio of girls on your boat. Theres nothing like having a bunch of dudes wanting to tie up next to you. When we leave party cove I make sure everyone is sitting down in their seats, everyone is sort of "chilled" and music is not blasting and girls aren't dancing. I like to remain incognito when I leave since the law is usually on the outside of party cove and busting people as they leave.
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-28-2013, 8:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
How was it?
Haven't gone yet Delta... Its gonna be 4th of July weekend
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-28-2013, 8:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce_bronkite View Post
Make sure you have the following: CGA vests for everyone, ropes and bumpers for both sides, fire extinguisher, throwable PFD, registration, insurance and horn. The cops/law will ask for this(other than ropes and bumpers) if they do a random stop. Make sure you have at least one person on the boat that knows how to tie up as you will probably be the one driving. I dont usually see guys walking boat to boats its usually women and I have never had a problem with that. Also, you most likely will be welcomed if you have a good ratio of girls on your boat. Theres nothing like having a bunch of dudes wanting to tie up next to you. When we leave party cove I make sure everyone is sitting down in their seats, everyone is sort of "chilled" and music is not blasting and girls aren't dancing. I like to remain incognito when I leave since the law is usually on the outside of party cove and busting people as they leave.
Are there supposed to be expiration dates on the fire extinguisher's??? Bc the one that came in the boat doesn't have one and I thought they were supposed to
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-29-2013, 2:37 AM Reply   
The manufacturing date is stamped on the bottom of the bottle on a Kiddie. The other ones have tiny printing on the label.
5/0 will just see if the gauge is in the green 99% of the time.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-29-2013, 1:25 PM Reply   
Don't take a 65' houseboat into the party cove when the wind is blowing 40 mph.

Windblown Houseboat in Thompson Bay wrecks 5 beached boats

Lake Havasu Houseboat in Channel

Havasu Channel Memorial Weekend Houseboat

Lake Havasu Houseboat In The Channel
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-29-2013, 2:07 PM Reply   
Wow. I surprised there wasn't a pirate style boarding of that boat after it rammed into the others.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-29-2013, 2:44 PM Reply   
Holiday weekends are always when the amateurs come out. Were the cops just waiting for it to make it further out?

Yea, be ready for stuff like that on a holiday weekend, especially at large Texas lakes.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-29-2013, 4:37 PM Reply   
Better to be the house boat then be the boats getting smashed by the houseboat. I say leave your boat at home and get the biggest damn houseboat you can find and roll out!! And remember to WET the slide before diving head first down it. Learned that from expeirence skreeeeeeeech! Lmao that sucks
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-31-2013, 2:50 PM Reply   
Wow!!!! I actually feel kinda sorry for the dude driving the house boat, he is in way over his head, and skill level. But he is an idiot for trying to get that monster in there if he even thought for a second he couldn't handle it.... I would have jumped on that boat and thrown his a** over board if he smashed my boat like that
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-31-2013, 3:44 PM Reply   
Don't bring a boat full of sausage.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-31-2013, 9:32 PM Reply   
Do: take photos of hot chicks wiggling about.
Don't: forget to post them.