Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    musner            05-16-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
Built my own bimini and thought I'd share.

Ever since I bought my monster tower, I've had bimini issues. I modified the old one to fit around the tower legs, but I couldn't ever take it down without a huge hassle. Since it also didn't provide shade for the passengers, I decided it was time to get a new one. Since I couldn't stomach paying so much money for a bimini, I elected to build one.

I got the Sunbrella material for $70 on ebay. (It was more than enough to be able to mess up the first one completely and still have enough to try again.) I bought the clamps from Raul about a year ago.

I had planned to make a mock-up using electrical conduit and then duplicate it in 7/8” aluminum tubing. Instead, I made the rear portion from conduit and used the tubing from the old bimini on the new one. The old tubes had to be cut and bent in places (cheap conduit bender from Home Depot), but they worked for the most part. I re-joined them with a dowell and some screws.

I’ll replace the conduit section with aluminum someday - it looks sort of ghetto when up close, but it works.

I put a couple of quick-release pins on the front tube, which allows me to fold it back (would hit the tower otherwise).

Pictures
Material:
Upload

Snap to keep it centered:
Upload

Fitting the leading edge:
Upload

Leading edge is marked for sewing:
Upload

Checking the fit so far:
Upload

Finished (except for front straps):
Upload

Finished and folded down:
Upload
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-16-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
How does in store when the boat is moving? Or do you use the bimini every time you go out on the boat?
Old    musner            05-16-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
When trailering, I keep it folded back and elevated on the rear braces. I'd probably leave it all the way down on long trips, but I don't have to go too far. I still have to make a boot to cover it when trailering. Until then, bungee cords work fine...
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-16-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
Looks great post some pics when you are completely done. I guess if you mount some speakers to the tower your going to put them on top?
Old    musner            05-16-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
Thanks. I don't think I'm going to add any speakers, but that would be an option if I decided to.

I was very happy with it on the water yesterday, but I still have some fine-tuning to do to get things right.
Old     (jrhurst)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-16-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
are those the clamps found on ebay , also where did you find the frame material ???
Old    musner            05-16-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
I bought the clamps a year or two ago from a guy that was making them (got the info from this site). I don't think he's making them anymore, but these look the same and are a bargain: http://stores.ebay.com/Pyramid-Manufacturing

The rear portion of the frame is electrical conduit from Lowes. The rest is recycled from the previous bimini.
I haven't tried too hard to find aluminum tubing in my area, and most places don't carry it in anything longer than 10' sections. If the rear section breaks, or I get really motiviated, I'm going to make it from 7/8" aluminum.

I'd also like to find the hardware to be able to shorten and lengthen the frame by sliding a smaller piece of tubing into the main partion and pressing a spring-button to release it. Anybody have any leads on this kind of hardware?
Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:
Upload
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-16-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search on "spring plunger"
Old    musner            05-16-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
Awesome,
Thanks!