Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-04-2004, 7:24 AM Reply   
I'm sure that this has been discussed about million times but I don't have time to search the archives.

Anyhow I'm going to look at one on Sunday and was wondering if there as anything I should be watching out for… It looks like a pretty good deal but I figured I better ask to see if anyone who has one knows of any inherent problems with that year and model?

Just a few specs on the boat… It was a sponsorship boat meaning that it was given to a pro and when he stopped riding for Mastercraft they took it back and sold it to the guy that I maybe buying it from. Do the pro’s treat there “free” boats as well as a guy who is paying for it would treat it? Also the boat has around 500 hours on it… There is no Perfect Pass (which sucks but I can deal with it), it has tower speakers and the pictures that the seller sent me make the boat look like it’s in showroom condition. What do you guy think a fair price is for it????

Any information would be helpful.

BTW – I don’t want to start a boat war thread… Just info on the 2000 x-star. Thanks in advanced.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-04-2004, 7:54 AM Reply   
I would doubt that a pro would treat a free boat as well as someone who is paying for it. With 500 hrs I would not pay more than $25,000 for it.
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-04-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
I bought the 2000 X-star that was used in the X-games from Portland Ski Boat center for $32,000. Had 600+ hrs., of which about 200 of those hours were used in tournaments. Had everything on it including perfect pass, Lights, speakers, amps, Clean as could be. I thought it was a great deal for what was extra. Have not had any problems with it that the dealer didn't fix. Hope this helps.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2004, 10:06 AM Reply   
Aaron, I can't help you out with what condition the pro's keep their boats. I would guess the answer varies between pros just like it does with us common folk.

As for the 2000 X-Star, its a great boat and if the price is right I am sure you would be happy with the boat itself. BTW, you can always add on Perfect Pass at a later date, it will run you around $1200 + maybe $300 or so for the install.

This is how I determine price, go to www.boattraderonline.com and plug in a search for 2000 X-Stars and see what prices come up. Then try to match the condition of the boat, options, to what you see listed. You may find 3 or 4 boats with similar hours, options, etc. Average that price and that is a much better indicator than any blue book or Nada guide.

OK, as for the specifics on the model, this is what you need to look for:

Tower: The welds on the ZeroFlex kinda suck. I have had 2 joints rewelded and have to get another couple welded this summer. The ones that go first are right along the weld on the rear tubes. (Once you have them re-welded you wouldn't need to worry about them again.) Rewelding is not too expensive.

Engine: Ding the value a little if the boat has the Predator engine. I wouldn't pass on one because of it but the boat should really have the LTR motor which is 330 Horsepower.

Recalls: If it is the LTR motor, you will want the oil pump drive gear replaced. (The stock one is brass and wears quickly). There is also an alternator bracket addition and I believe a different breather vent for the transmission. Either have the owner confirm all this has been done or see your MasterCraft Dealer about these recalls.

I wouldn't worry about the hours so much, I have 700 on my 1999 X-Star and it runs like the day I bought it. I can gurantee you I would not sell it for $25,000. I saw a 99 advertised at Action Watersports in Michigan for $29,000 that had around 600 hours. I think if you have the cash ready to go the owner might finalize around $28,000 - $30,000 for the boat you are looking at. I would say 25K only if the interior is bombed out.

If you decide to get it make sure to join up to http://mymastercraft.com.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-04-2004, 10:24 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. Chaun - did your weldeds actually break or were they cracked or whats the deal with that? This boat has the preditor engine (310 hp). Do the recalls still apply? Thanks for all the info.

Anyone else have something to add?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-04-2004, 11:03 AM Reply   
Yeah, $25 might be a bit low.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2004, 11:32 AM Reply   
The welds on mine started with a little crack and fatigued through the entire weld and will eventually propegate into the tubes if you let it go. You might get lucky and have them hold, but I have seen 4 1999-2000 model X-Star ZeroFlex towers crack in the exact same spots.

They did not break and the crack grew very slowly. I went through a whole summer before I fixed it (would have been easier and better looking had I gotten it repaired earlier).

I do not believe that the Predator engine has any of the engine recalls I mentioned but the breather vent for the transmission may still apply.

btw, I checked www.boattraderonline.com for 2000 X-Stars and most were running 31-34K but they had the LTR motor and most had Perfect Pass. So I would broaden my range to $28K-31K for the boat you described dependent upon condition, trailer tires, stereo setup, etc.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-04-2004, 11:54 AM Reply   
At least they didn't break completely - that could have been a bit on the dangerous side...

Asking price for the boat is right in that range so I'm feeling a little more confident.

If anyone else has anything to add please do so.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-04-2004, 1:39 PM Reply   
The only thing I disliked about the 2000 X-Star is the rear deck. The hinge along the rear edge can be bent/torn out of the fiberglass. Make sure the hinge and hydralic pump are all in good shape.
Old    wilson            06-04-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 Xstar and am very happy.

There was a recall on the center ballast bag that you can see if your dealer will replace, also the dual axle trailer had a recall on the axle, again see if the dealer will replace.

Love the boat except for;

rear hatch is motorized, if the battery goes out you are screwed. I am thinking about installing the haudralics and taking out the motor. I have had to take the motor apart to grease, not a big deal.

had to change the steering cable, no biggie

Tower does rattle.

I bought my boat 2 years ago and it was immaculate, owner had a toothbrush in the glove to keep it clean.

No perfect pass, no lights or speakers on tower, 310 hp engine , 255 hrs and paid $32k w/ trailer. I can probably sell it today for close to $30k w/ 400hrs.

Hope that helps.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-04-2004, 4:40 PM Reply   
Make sure you, ask if it has been used in salt water...EVER.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-04-2004, 9:34 PM Reply   
wilson - The boat I'm looking at has the same tower as the boat in your profile picture. Does that tower fold down? I have read posts that say that it doesn't however I knew a guy with a 2000 and his did? Do they all fold down or am I imagining things. Also why did you have to replace the steering cable? Did it malfunction? Is there a safety issue with the steering cable?

thane_dogg - The guy says the boat has been run in brackish water however I will be running (pretty much exclusively) in the salt water so it's not a real big deal to me. The boat has a flush kit installed and the current owner says that he flushed the boat after every use.

Does anyone know any telltale signs that the boat has not been flushed? I know to look for rust around the engine but are there any sure fire ways to tell? This would be sweet to know before I go to look.

BTW - I’m still waiting for someone to chime in and tell if they have owned a boat that was owned by a pro; and let me know how they are with the maintenance…. I’m sure if I was a pro and got a boat like that for free (specially when I was younger) I would have beat the sh*t out of it and gave it back laughing. Is there anyway to tell? Does anyone have any experience?

Thanks to everyone who responded and I look forward to your responses…
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-05-2004, 2:01 PM Reply   
The boats I have seen so far that pros have owned have not looked very good. I have only seen a couple, but the ones I have seen had marks all over the hull, were dirty, and just looked like all they ever did was just put it in the water and ride. I'm sure it dpends on the pro that had the boat, but I know that if I was guarenteed a new boat every year, I probably wouldn't take as good of care of it as I would if I actually owned the boat.
Old    jlm            06-05-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
Wilson, love the color of your boat. Looks great.
Old    wilson            06-09-2004, 10:53 PM Reply   
Aaron, the tower does fold down, I believe all towers are able to fold down to be able to get into a garage. The steering cable got tight from rusting out. You should check the exhaust manifold for rust to check for salt water use. You can also check all aluminum parts to see if there is salt build up.

WakinVol, thanks. We love the clean look. Got married in our backyard and boated away with our boat.
Old     (xbrdr1)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-13-2004, 5:21 AM Reply   
Chaun, do you have any pics of the tower cracks?
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-13-2004, 5:49 PM Reply   
Well guys, I went to look at the X-Star this weekend and it was in pretty rough shape... Looks like the search will have to continue. If anyone has a nice v-Drive in the Florida Panhandle for sale let me know...

Thanks for all the help.
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-14-2004, 5:27 AM Reply   
Don't pay any attention to the suggestion of the LTR 330hp...horespower isn't everything. The 310 has more torque in the low range and will pull you out better than the 330 will.
Old    djo_djo            06-14-2004, 6:23 AM Reply   
what do you mean ? we ordered a new x-2 with the LTR 330 hp... you mean the cheaper one is better or what ?
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-14-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
I don't have the tech specs on the torque to post but when I purchase mine I spoke with the mechanics about the different engines and that's what they told me so went with the 310. There are others posts that talk about this engine topic as well.
Old    00prostar205v            06-14-2004, 10:48 AM Reply   
I have the 310 in a 205v (which is the same hull as the current x2 and previous x stars). I do not want for more power and as John said hp isn't everything in these boats. Remember these are watersports boats not high performance boats. I really don't care if it does 42 or 48 mph, as long as it gets out of the hole smartly. IMO the 310 is a very nice engine.
Old     (chill720)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-16-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
AARON---I have a 2001 Red/White Xstar for sale with 300 hours on it that is showroom condition with the 310hp engine in it. bimini top, lights, cover, perfect pass, triple kgb, trailer, center seat extension. I live in Tennessee, and could work something out on delivery such as meeting half way or something. if you are interested email me at chill720@hotmail.com i have pics as well.