Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (crowmobe)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-27-2006, 10:20 PM Reply   
Towards the last part of last year I( actually my buddy) hit a petrified wood branch thats probably been there for about 50 plus years... and ripped a gash through my hull. Not even sure what I need to repair, searched online but all that looks like the same stuff to me gelcoat,epoxys,poly foam etc. the damage is probably about 6 ft long by 1 inch wide.. any suggestions would help..Crowmobe
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-28-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
Do you have a Supra dealer near by? If so I'd see them first.
Old     (crowmobe)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-29-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
thanks bigshow but I am not so lucky!!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-29-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
Look in the yellow pages, there are several shops in my city. As with anything like this I'd get several quotes. My guess this could be any where from $250 to $750, might be covered by your insurance. If you have a good relationship with a boat dealer you might ask them for a recommendation. Boat dealers deal with this all the time. If you go through the boat dealer they’ll probably charge on top of what the fiber glass shop will charge.
Old    mendo247            01-29-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
6ft long one inch wide? through the hull?? unfortunately your talking thousands of dollars not hundreds.. ive done my share of fiberglass repair and its not something most people enjoy doing therfore its very expensive.. add to that the cost of gelcoat.. not cheap.. hopefully you have insurance, or if not maybe it could be spotted in at a decent body shop..
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-30-2006, 3:34 AM Reply   
2nd what richard said...I hit rocks last season, thankfully, i wasn't even under power so the damage was minimal, but I picked up some epoxy to cover the visible fiberglass, then got a gelcoat kit, matched the paint and sealed the hole, but it's far from professional work...so for something that big, you're going to want to call the pros.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-30-2006, 5:48 AM Reply   
Are we talking right through the hull as in you can see either inside the boat or the inner core of the hull. If so yes thats going to be an expensive repair.

If however you just have a scraoe on the gelcoat and you can see th bare glass underneath then any decent glass shop will be able to sort it for a few hundred dollars or you could do it yourself with some gelcoat paste.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-30-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
I figured only through the gel, if it's through the hull it's going to be $$$$
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-30-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
post pics. i agree with everyone else, though - if it's only thru the gel, it won't cost much. is there shredded fiberglass in the crack?
Old    bocephus            01-30-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
If you didn't have insurance go get and report the damage. The insurance companies are sticking it to us, might as well stick it to them for once. Just ask the people in New Orleans.

Just My Opinion.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-30-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Insurance is a neccessary evil. Insurance fraud is a crime.

Jed, I believe most of the insurnce companies in N.O are payig out valid claims. My friends who had house damages had no problems being paid. N.O. led by Count Chocula has bigger issues than issurance claims. If your government isists on diverting moneis away from the levies that protect you, and nothign is done......this is what happens. There were harder hit cities on the southern coast than N.O.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-30-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
I must say I believe with Adam. I know the company I work for still has adjusters down in both mississippi and no.

insurance is not designed as a maintance plan but for only valid claims. if the damage is less than 1K you are better to just pay it but if it is over that turn it in.

Old    bocephus            01-30-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
Adam,
Don't give me that crap. There are thousands of valid insurance claims that go un-paid every year. How many insurance companies didn't provide coverage in New Orleans and how many just went belly up and left the home owners with the ticket? Just wait until the foreign insurance companies get into our market, then US insurance companies will have to start competing. Also how do you define "vaid claims", ya, I know the lingo and the tactics for non-payment too. Guess what, the people are the government, if they would go elect people who really represent them we wouldn't have to worry about diverted money, not the racist, in his own words chocolate mayor, there now. Yes this is a rant and I will catch hell for it but it's just my opinion. WTF are all those people doing living in a flood zone anyhow? I have to carry car insurance, E&O insurance, home owner's insurance, liability insurance, yet the illegal alien that totaled my car has none and I now have to pay my deductable for something that I wasn't even part of, not to mention uninsured drivers insurance. Guess what, the illegal alien got a new car! WTF is he doing here anyway? Oh, ya, I almost forgot I pay boat insurance, health insurance, life insurance, and airplane insurance.
Great Insurance Service in New Orleans---->
http://www.centerjd.org/air/pr/KATRINAREPORT.pdf
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-30-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
get your own thread, people.
Old    fiberglassman            01-30-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
That repair could cost anywhere from a couple of hundred dollars up to several thousand. Did the rip get into the crossbraces anywhere? If so it's likely that the there is also damage to those throughout the boat. Let's see some pictures.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-30-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
Jed, thanks for the article. while I'd rather not hijack this thread any longer...my short response will be. If you live below sea level and you do not have flood insurance you are an idiot. If someone tells you that you don't need it, you are both idiots.
Old    fiberglassman            01-30-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
Adam,
I'm in agreement with you on your last post!
Old     (crowmobe)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-30-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
Thanks guys , and Jay yes its through the hull...Unfortunately I did not have insurance at the time..Which my wife suggested we get ..now am I ever hearing about that one..lol. I will post some pics soon . once again thanks for all you suggestions..